Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is URO making the triangle window seals for Porsche?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
I have noticed that URO is now listing itself as a parts manufacturer for Porsche.

I have offered the OEM seals that I acquire at the sealer for my customers that so choose to go factory. What I got was a big surprise. These were not like the factory seals I have received in the past.

When I 1st took them out of the bag they didn't look much different than ours. With the exception that they were dirty.

Mikey914
Then I started to look closer. Note that the lip that tucks over the edge of the glass is deformed. To give you an idea of how deformed. This is what it should look like when you pull back the lip. The part I received actually has a webbing that you will have to remove or it will hold the lip up. The other side actually has a tear starting in the edge when I checked it. I was very disappointed in the quality and made an inquiry with Sunset as to if these were URO. I was told that they don't know who makes them, only the country they come from.
Mikey914
This certainly is not the the high quality tooling the Germans would have used. They almost look like my early ones that I was hand casting in silicone. I do suspect the label is not correct.
mepstein
I've found the dealer parts to be randomly inconsistent in quality. Where the original bots were plated, dealer supplied is often un-plated, raw metal. I guess its DIY. .
Mikey914
I can see how they may have some issues with finish as certain processes have been banned, but the tooling looks like the ones I did in my garage in 09 when they were not available.
914Sixer
When I bought center caps for my Boxster wheels they came from seller in China. They were well made quality metal caps They were in original Porsche boxes that said made in Germany. That brings up the same question as Mark, are the labels correct.
mepstein
Lots of counterfeiting going on in every industry.
76-914
It feels good to see "Made in the USA" products reigning over the competition; once again. Make us proud Mark. flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 21 2017, 06:14 AM) *

Lots of counterfeiting going on in every industry.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

There are US companies buying cheap foreign parts, rebadging and relabeling with US instruction manuals and US company logos, but its the same CRAP. Find it everywhere on Ebay and Amazon.
Mikey914
What is more amazing is that these came from dealer stock. I'm amazed they would put their name on these. blink.gif
Andyrew
My industry is doors/door hardware. SO much comes from china its not funny. There are "Buy American" acts that require for items to be assembled in USA, however the parts are not manufactured in the USA. Granted most of the top grade items are cycle tested to 10million cycles there are obvious quality differences between companies that manufacturer the parts in china vs other places.

The price difference between the low end and high end products are insane as well. One item could cost 1500 whereas another 350 and the quality for all practical purposes is the same..
Prorallye
I agree, the window seals I ordered from 914Rubber were of good quality and fit well.

On a side note, I did notice there was not a provision for a tab that the original seal had as you can see in the pictures. I have forgotten what the tab is for since it's been out of the door for a while but doesn't look like it does much?

Is this an important tab? I was wondering if I should cut the new seal to try and make it work.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
boxstr
PM sent?
Craig at CAMP
UROpartsman
Just a quick FYI so the title and details in thread can be updated. As valuable feedback for the community, forum threads should be factually accurate.

Like the rusty "SS" brake lines and warped turn signal lenses incorrectly associated with URO, we do not make these seals for Porsche and never have. If any forum member ever has a problem with a component that is legitimately URO, please contact us immediately. We absolutely want feedback (we update our design or manufacturing process whenever an issue arises), and to make it right with our customer.
Mikey914
Well,
I've seen more URO triangle window seals hitting the market, My assumption was the poor quality seals came from you. Since you say you are a vendor for Porsche the "New" ones were coming from URO.

By the way We have GB for Triangle window seals that I will be launching tomorrow

$88 a set biggrin.gif

There are no factually inaccurate items in this thread, simply a question and I noticed you didn't deny it.
By the way you should really follow up in the MBZ forums there are lots of part complaints there. I've decided to help some of those guys out too.
UROpartsman
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 2 2018, 09:55 AM) *

By the way We have GB for Triangle window seals that I will be launching tomorrow
$88 a set biggrin.gif

There are no factually inaccurate items in this thread, simply a question and I noticed you didn't deny it.

Please read again, "we do not make these seals for Porsche and never have."

Since the title of this thread is "URO", here are photos of our seals 914 542 326 10 and 914 542 325 10:
Mikey914
Actually you mentioned that the other two items you had not made. Considering that the thread was not about those, you wanted us to infer the triangle window seals were not yours?

I just can't see ANY German manufacturer wanting to claim credit for the crap that came out of those bags, I'm amazed the dealership would even sell them. I know there were not mine and in the process of elimination, the question was asked.

So really, you want to make parts for a VERY small market and lay down on top of people that have been making parts to serve this market and doing so at a reasonable price.

Great, but the folks here are smart enough to know if they don't support the small vendors they will dry up and the only thing that will be left is crappy parts.
SirAndy
Seriously people, can we please leave the mud slinging at the county fair?
dry.gif
Mikey914
fair enough
Prorallye
Didn't mean to revive an older threat to get things heated up! Just wanted to see if anybody knew what the steel tab was in the old seal. Looks like there is a bolt hole for it and the tab goes up into the seal itself. Wouldn't be an easy task to duplicate the hole that the original one had.
Mikey914
We are actually trying to obtain a set that are with the hole. I'm in the process of going to high volume tooling so not a problem to add. I do believe that the reason we don't see that in the later seals is that it was a superseded part. I know you don't have to use it, and many have deleted it, but to be correct we ae retooling.

Mark
Prorallye
Ok Mark. Thanks. Will use the ones that you sent then. I just like to be as accurate as possible when replacing parts. The seals you sent me fit well.

Cheers,

Brian
mark04usa
I have the right side triangle window seal, 914 542 326 10, purchased from dealer in early 90's. Part number tag says "Made in Western Germany", so it really is old "NOS" This seal does have the cutout for the bracket Prorallye mentioned.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
UROpartsman
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Jan 2 2018, 05:40 PM) *

I have the right side triangle window seal, 914 542 326 10, purchased from dealer in early 90's. Part number tag says "Made in Western Germany", so it really is old "NOS" This seal does have the cutout for the bracket Prorallye mentioned.

Thanks for sharing the photo of the NOS seal Mark. Our dealer NOS samples must be somewhat newer than the early 1990's, as they have slots for the cutouts but they're covered by a thin film of rubber flash (which you could push the metal tab right through, or trim off with a razor blade). Our seals are reproductions of these OEM seals, which is why ours are virtually identical to your NOS piece.
Mikey914
Samples obtained. Look sfor the GB thread shortly.
mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.