Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs Numbering Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
Alright Fuchs experts. I picked up a set of 6x16 Fuchs yesterday. I got them home and took a closer look at them, as I wanted to validate that they were genuine (again). One of them was really faint, but I finally found my little fox friend on all four of them. All good.

In that process I noticed that the one wheel with the faintest fox seemed to have a discrepancy. The part numbers on all wheels show 911 361 020 43 as in the first pic below, which I am pretty sure corresponds to 6x16 on a '84 911 (all black). But the size number stamped on them, which is what I assume is what's in the second picture below, shows "6 J 15" (not 16). All the rest of the wheels show "6 J 16" like in the last picture. All p/n's match, and best I can measure the physical dimensions are the same on all the wheels.

Is this a factory mistake or am I making a bad assumption or other stupid error? Probably the latter, as I haven't met my daily quota yet.

(5-lug) Fuchs newbie out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

mb911
That is strange..
914Sixer
Size is cast into wheel. Are you sure the diameter of wheel is 16" ?
JOEPROPER
stand them up next to each other.
Larmo63
They don't all look identical as far as physical dimensions? chair.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Dec 21 2017, 05:52 PM) *

stand them up next to each other.

I did. They all seem to match.

Mark, I measured them across and they seem to match. All of them seem to be about 15.25 from lip to lip across the center.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 21 2017, 05:57 PM) *

They do look all identical chair.gif Go drive your six, Lawrence smile.gif

confused24.gif
theer
Try measuring the circumference: Put a string around the inside of the lip, where the bead of the tire will sit. Compare the "15" circumference to one of the 16's. If the same measurement, then at least you know the same size tires will fit...

Maybe the 16's are marked wrong?

JOEPROPER
QUOTE(theer @ Dec 21 2017, 06:13 PM) *

Try measuring the circumference: Put a string around the inside of the lip, where the bead of the tire will sit. Compare the "15" circumference to one of the 16's. If the same measurement, then at least you know the same size tires will fit...

Maybe the 16's are marked wrong?

idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
cal44
Please explain "all black". Should only be the center spokes black unless someone changed things.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(cal44 @ Dec 21 2017, 06:30 PM) *

Please explain "all black". Should only be the center spokes black unless someone changed things.

They came from the factory like this:
IPB Image

Am I correct that the "6 J 15" (or 16) should reflect the size? I just stood them all up against each other on a table, and they all seem to match.
bigkensteele
I think it is a factory mistake. Kinda like those double stamped pennies that everyone used to look for because they would be worth millions.

The last picture is definitely a 6x16.
mepstein
There are a lot of mistakes on Fuchs. Especially the 6x16’s when they were getting cranked out by the thousands. 15’s look very different on the front lip from 16’s.
Congrats on the wheels. It’s hard to go wrong with Fuchs.
BeatNavy
Thanks, fellas. I'm pretty stoked to have them. They were a Christmas present. To myself. Now there's a 5-lug conversion in my future, so I'll probably need to call Eric at PMB. May have to be a Valentine's present. To myself... wub.gif
Larmo63
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 21 2017, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 21 2017, 05:57 PM) *

They do look all identical chair.gif Go drive your six, Lawrence smile.gif

confused24.gif

I just got back from driving it all over. Thanks.

Now go put those wheels on your car. smile.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 22 2017, 11:29 AM) *

Alright Fuchs experts. I picked up a set of 6x16 Fuchs yesterday. I got them home and took a closer look at them, as I wanted to validate that they were genuine (again). One of them was really faint, but I finally found my little fox friend on all four of them. All good.

In that process I noticed that the one wheel with the faintest fox seemed to have a discrepancy. The part numbers on all wheels show 911 361 020 43 as in the first pic below, which I am pretty sure corresponds to 6x16 on a '84 911 (all black). But the size number stamped on them, which is what I assume is what's in the second picture below, shows "6 J 15" (not 16). All the rest of the wheels show "6 J 16" like in the last picture. All p/n's match, and best I can measure the physical dimensions are the same on all the wheels.

Is this a factory mistake or am I making a bad assumption or other stupid error? Probably the latter, as I haven't met my daily quota yet.

(5-lug) Fuchs newbie out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hi Rob ,good score ,Hans must have had too many Becks the night before rolleyes.gif ,the 6x16 has a noticeable flat area from the black centre to the rim edge...hard to miss.
These wheels will be hard to find as the supply will dry up eventually due to there popularity on 911 914 and people buying them for the centres only to make 3 piece wheels using BBS barrels.

eitnurg
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 21 2017, 10:29 PM) *

But the size number stamped on them, which is what I assume is what's in the second picture below, shows "6 J 15" (not 16). All the rest of the wheels show "6 J 16" like in the last picture. All p/n's match, and best I can measure the physical dimensions are the same on all the wheels.

It’s a factory mistake. I had one once: by coincidence it was adjacent to the fitted tyre size (205/55 R 16) and would have made a good photograph. Unfortunately its undoubted rarity did not translate into increased value, much as I tried.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 21 2017, 03:35 PM) *

Am I correct that the "6 J 15" (or 16) should reflect the size?

You are correct. The 6 is the width in inches, and the 15 is the diameter in inches. The J refers to the safety bead in the wheel which is supposed to keep the tire from completely departing the vehicle even if it no longer is pressed against the rim by air pressure.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.