Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: could this be a real LE ???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
hmmm, could this be a real LE ??? it's a 74 VIN, don't know if it falls within the known LE range ...

idea.gif Andy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...ssPageName=WDVW
SirAndy
ha!

just found a old pic of the car in my stash. it IS in fact a LE ...
boldblue.gif Andy

LukeD
It looks bad A$$

What are the chances of the engine firing after being flooded?

Luke
redshift
How many angels fit on the head of a pin?

How long is a piece of string?

Slim! Oh, and I say that after reading the assumptive attitude the soon to be DAPO took, when looking at options to fix it..

biggrin.gif

M
TimT
By using the guys at Motormeister

YIKES!!
JeffBowlsby
It was on eBay about 6 months ago. Its in the known VIN range for LE cars but without a COA it will be impossible to know for sure.
Dr. Roger
yea', i thought water damage wouldn't have made much of a difference after purchasing my next to last motor. After yankin' the heads, discovered two cylinders had some rust and pitting. After my second machinist, I was informed .060" over would not help the block.... sad.gif mad.gif wacko.gif

lesson learned: the longer the water sits, the longer it has to work it's magic...
Ended up at the recycler.
Porsche Rescue
Well I jumped in where angels fear to tread. Expect to pick it up next week. I will provide entertainment for the Board as I try to get it going this fall/winter. I have one project ahead of it.

Andy, got any more pics? I am unable to copy the one above to my file. Could you please email it to me direct? I am trying to contact the PA previous owner through PCA to see what I can learn about the car.

Engine is apparently a 2.2 with Zeniths so I may want to start over unless I get real lucky and can get it to run.
retrotech
Is a COA the only way to identify a Limited Edition?
Gustl
I'm afraid even a CoA can't tell you for sure - I don't trust the CoA
I ordered one for my teener and it was different form the german version and didn't fit to my car. It says that my car shoud have black interior, but it has tan. The german CoA says tan interior as well as sealed beam headlights.
But the german one has got other errors.
Due to Porsche's bad files there can be no proof, IMHO

I think the only way to find out if it's an original LE would be the original window sticker / contract of purchase ... but who held it for more than 30 yrs and maybe 5 owners ...
lotus_65
it's cool, but honestly, i just wanted to reply to something so i could show off my new avatar. cool_shades.gif
skline
Even with a COA, its no longer an original LE, lost that when he did the 6 conversion. The car only has value now as a 6 conversion. I can make any car look like an LE. When you take something original and modify it like that, it decreases the value in my opinion. Not to say its not a nice car, I am sure it is, but I dont consider it to be worth what an original LE would be. JMO
JeffBowlsby
I didnt think that photo you had Andy, was the saem car at first....

Looking more carefully...it sure could be. The front bumper/cooler scoop and center racing stripe are different, but the other unique features match. I had previously thought this car may have been Greg Fordahls car at pne time, as I had heard one account that he had a Bumblebee LE. Probably not if it came from PA.

Good to know its in good hands now Jim. smilie_pokal.gif
Porsche Rescue
Like you Jeff, I questioned if it was the same car. Aside from the different nose it also has a different bar/cage. There is clearly a diagonal in Andy's pic and none in the Ebay shots. Wheels, hood pins and crest, rocker color etc are too much alike to be a coincidence. Current seller said it had driver's name on it which he removed. May have removed the "37" as well. Sure hope I can find the guy who raced it in PA. Anxious to know who did what to the car. Maybe he will know if it is/was an LE. Not that it matters all that much now.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Jun 2 2005, 08:20 PM)
too much alike to be a coincidence

it was the wheels that got me thinking first ...
what are the odds those two would run the exact same type of (rare) wheels?

also:
- porsche side-stripe is in the exact location
- porsche badge on the side of the fender in the exact same location
- roll cage has the exact same pickup points, even tho the petty bar is now removed, the hookup is still clearly visible (again, in the exact same spot)
- hood pins and hood badge are in the exact same location
- mudflaps!

same car!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Porsche Rescue
Andy, what is a "petty bar"? The diagonal under the roll bar? What do you mean by hookup point? For the bar? I have a lot to learn.
Can you email the pic to me jimchambers41@hotmail.com? I can't seem to copy it to my files from your post. Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Jun 3 2005, 06:20 AM)
Andy, what is a "petty bar"? The diagonal under the roll bar? What do you mean by hookup point? For the bar? I have a lot to learn.

petty bar is the diagonal bar that goes from the top hoop to the pass. side floor or fenderwell. it this car it's either removeable or was cut out, but in the ebay pictures, you can still see where it was attached to the top hoop, near where the drivers head would be.

picup points for the cage means where the cage is welded to the chassis.
if you look at both pictures closely, you can see where the side bars of the cage are welded to the inner sail panels using a small steel plate ...

wink.gif Andy

PS: pic is in the mail ...
Porsche Rescue
Thanks Andy. Should I reinstall the Petty bar to get full protection from the cage/hoop?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Jun 3 2005, 09:38 AM)
Thanks Andy. Should I reinstall the Petty bar to get full protection from the cage/hoop?

depends on what you want to do with the car. if it's going to be a track car, then by all means, YES.
if it's just a occassional AX car and otherwise driven on the street, i'd say NO as they're usually take away most of the space for a passanger ...

wink.gif Andy
Porsche Rescue
Thanks. Occasional DE and a good bit of AX (I'm just a pretend racer). Will reinstall if it is there or if I can find one. Probably ought to get the fish out of the oil tank and get a running engine first I suppose!
Porsche Rescue
Well the pig is out of the poke. Real ugly little piggy.
Car is a beauty but engine is a boat anchor. Pulled case drain plug and needed an umbrella. Out came about 3 quarts of water with a little oil residue. Been in there for almost a year. Pulled screen and found shrapnel. This engine was supposed to be fresh from Motormeister and in process of installation/conversion when the flash flood hit the shop in PA late last summer. Spoke to shop owner where car was when flooded and he said conversion was near complete but not yet running. Could "fresh" engine have been sent by Mm with the alloy "crumbs" included? JP and I think they are cylinder pieces rather than piston skirt. Won't know for sure until tear down. See my ad in classifieds seeking running engine!
J P Stein
The motor seems to be a 74 2.7L(normal), not the 2.2 as advertised. There was some rude language used when that stream of water came out the drain plug.

The odd thing was the upper end looks fresh.....grease (the wrong stuff of course) used on the return tubes has no dust or grime stuck to it....maybe the flood washed it clean. biggrin.gif

Some where along the line, the thing pitched a rod, me thinks.
The disassembly should prove interesting. unsure.gif

The rest of the car is pretty damn nice.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Jun 18 2005, 05:52 PM)
Motormeister

i've said it before and i'll say it again ...

Motormeister = icon8.gif = barf.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 18 2005, 07:53 PM)
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Jun 18 2005, 05:52 PM)
Motormeister

i've said it before and i'll say it again ...

Motormeister = icon8.gif = barf.gif

Well. maybe.
*Something* is funky here. The motor was supposedly never
run in a car. Jim was told that the first motor from MM was no gud so MM replaced it with this one.

Logically, the first motor would have to have been run to come to the bad motor conclusion. One would think that to accept this one, they would run it. The was a good collection of shrapnel around the screen which would be drawn there by the pump.

It's possible that MM replaced the busted cyl (and piston prolly), did a top end and buttoned it up with the shittage in there. blink.gif It would run, I think......hard to believe tho.
SirAndy
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jun 18 2005, 09:56 PM)
hard to believe tho.

actually, knowing those guys (well, their work anyways) i think that's *exactly* what happend! ohmy.gif

they got the busted motor, did a top end rebuild on it and left all that crap in there for you to find later (kinda like a late x-mas present) ...
wacko.gif Andy
smac
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Jun 18 2005, 04:52 PM)
Well the pig is out of the poke. Real ugly little piggy.
Car is a beauty but engine is a boat anchor. Pulled case drain plug and needed an umbrella. Out came about 3 quarts of water with a little oil residue. Been in there for almost a year. Pulled screen and found shrapnel. This engine was supposed to be fresh from Motormeister and in process of installation/conversion when the flash flood hit the shop in PA late last summer.  Spoke to shop owner where car was when flooded and he said conversion was near complete but not yet running. Could "fresh" engine have been sent by Mm with the alloy "crumbs" included? JP and I think they are cylinder pieces rather than piston skirt. Won't know for sure until tear down.   See my ad in classifieds seeking running engine!

pray.gif
J P Stein
I have to admit, I don't take the screen out and clean it every time I change oil. Lay a flashlite on it & if it's clean, I leave it in...in fact, it's never dirty or clogged. I take it out sometimes to run my finger over a low spot in the case to see what's setting in there. Just oil is gud......a layer of aluminum sediment
is not so gud sad.gif . Chunks is definitely bad .

The oil pump would chew up any aluminum small enuff to get thru the screen......short term at least...it's a stout sumbitch.

Conversely, if the shop blew it on the stand, they woulda just sent it back confused24.gif

or

sumbody did a motor swap......remember, it was suppost to be a 2.2L.
Porsche Rescue
No swap. It was a shop in CA who told the guy I got it from that it was a 2.2. Probably made his bad guess based on the Zenith carbs. I'm sure that is the engine that was in the car when the dam broke. CA owner did nothing but buy it, ship it and store it. Put it on Ebay and couldn't tell bidders engine size so towed it to a local shop to have them tell him what he had. Hope the shop didn't charge him for their expertise.
J P Stein
Your right, Jim. It went thru the flood & only MM would put Zeniths on a 2.7L biggrin.gif
Porsche Rescue
Starting new thread with first pics of the autopsy..........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.