Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress on the reassembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
simonjb
Had the car repainted and am now in the process of reassembling. I am surprised by the amount of time it takes to put everything back together...put new SS line and fuel pump for the 2.3.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Looks great. Take your time and enjoy. beerchug.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(simonjb @ Dec 23 2017, 05:31 PM) *

Had the car repainted and am now in the process of reassembling. I am surprised by the amount of time it takes to put everything back together...put new SS line and fuel pump for the 2.3.

Click to view attachment

Always fun working with clean parts and an amazing looking paint job! Look at the finish on the back of that fire wall. smilie_pokal.gif Kinda jealous of the floor too.... pray.gif I want one.
Like Mark says enjoy!
white914.jpg
saigon71
Beautiful work! beerchug.gif

Complete agreement on the amount of time to reassemble.

You are approaching the finish line!
simonjb
So- It doesnt look like much - but I spent hours going over the wiring harness cleaning and re-taping. But there is progress!
Click to view attachment
74ravenna
Wow, that looks great.
That is a lot of excellent work.

1) What are you going to put on the floorboards for insulation/sound deadening?
2) How did you clean and rust proof the inside of the center tunnel and inside the longs?

Thanks
rgalla9146
Outstanding plumbing.
Beautiful work.
I'm in North Jersey with a newly painted GT conversion chassis waiting for
my attention.
Keep up the good work !
simonjb
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 31 2017, 03:03 PM) *

Outstanding plumbing.
Beautiful work.
I'm in North Jersey with a newly painted GT conversion chassis waiting for
my attention.
Keep up the good work !

Thanks - looking forward to seeing your build
Specracer
I see your in CT, so the weather here in the northeast will likely keep you from being able to drive it for several months, so you have some time.

Works looks great, enjoy it!
simonjb
A little bit more progress = installed the pedal cluster and gear shift.

However, I have this small round flexible rubber bushing left over? near front of photo.... I thought it might be for the accelerator ? But can't seem to figure out where it goes?Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Wow nice work.
simonjb
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 2 2018, 03:30 AM) *

Wow nice work.

Thanks - But to be truthful - I owe a lot to many folks on this forum without whom I would still be trying to figure out where to start! The advice and help on here is outstanding.
simonjb
So a small bit of progress - but even after being in my freezer for a week it took some serious effort!

Click to view attachment
simonjb
ok, a bit more progress - installed by refurbished PMB calipers ....Click to view attachment
mtndawg
Looks better than a new car.
pete000
NICE !
burton73
Sweet.
Mueller
So nice and clean!
aharder
beerchug.gif Nice Job
76-914
Is there an envy icon? biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
simonjb
I finally decided that I should replace the vinyl on the sail and roll bar. I debated leaving it - but given I’ve refreshed everything else, I decided to go ahead. Stage one was removal of the old vinyl...not bad underneath after 40 plus years!

Click to view attachment
simonjb
Ready to cement the new Sail and cross-beam from 914Rubber
Click to view attachment
aggiezig
Your progress is inspiring me to push forward. It must be so nice to work in a shiny, new, clean engine bay. I'm jealous!

Keep up the good work aktion035.gif
defianty
Car is looking fantastic. I can't wait until this part in my build, I've got boxes stashed of new parts ready to install and a big order on its way from 914rubber right now.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to more updates.
simonjb
Commenced work on the front bearings and brakes today...
Click to view attachment
gothspeed

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Nice fuel pump install! I was thinking to mount it in that general area. What did you use to mount the fuel pump? Threaded insert into panel? Does the filter have a 'mount' to firewall?
simonjb
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 5 2018, 10:43 AM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Nice fuel pump install! I was thinking to mount it in that general area. What did you use to mount the fuel pump? Threaded insert into panel? Does the filter have a 'mount' to firewall?

I must send out kudos to Chris at Tangerine[u]. He came up with the mounting and has the parts to make it all come together. I mounted the pump with a bolt and nut all the way through the firewall. The filter "hangs" , but its not going anywhere.
simonjb
So, after fretting about how hard it could be to mount the front hubs, I managed to do both within an hour.

I removed old bearings and ground down the outer edges to use as a punch. Froze the races overnight and got all 4 of them seated nicely with some gentle guidance - made sure they all set perfectly. Placed the new well greased up bearings in and she went right on to the spindle! I was worried because the old ones were stuck on very tightly. Tightened the nut up and then slack off a 1/4 turn, then hand tight while rotating the wheel. Then new caps.

Click to view attachment

simonjb
Started on re-doing the vinyl. It really takes some time to make sure you don't mess it up! Cutting the bottom of the sail was scary

Old vs New and partial install..

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gothspeed
QUOTE(simonjb @ Feb 5 2018, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 5 2018, 10:43 AM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I must send out kudos to Chris at Tangerine[u]. He came up with the mounting and has the parts to make it all come together. I mounted the pump with a bolt and nut all the way through the firewall. The filter "hangs" , but its not going anywhere.

car looks great! thanks for the info on the fuel pump install smile.gif
simonjb
Finally managed to finish the new vinyl. Not a hard job, but finicky and time consuming.

Click to view attachment
simonjb
The dash is finally coming together. Gauges are at NH speedometer getting a renovation and should be back soon. I'll finish the wiring when I install the battery and make sure that all is ok.

Click to view attachment
defianty
Beautiful clean and top class work.
Mikey914
First class work.
That little rubber bushing is probably the e brake sleeve.
simonjb
Thanks guys. Its time consuming, but very rewarding. Now I know why it costs so much to have it professionally done.
mepstein
QUOTE(simonjb @ Feb 19 2018, 12:42 PM) *

Thanks guys. Its time consuming, but very rewarding. Now I know why it costs so much to have it professionally done.

Looks great!
When we build from the ground up at the shop, it always seems like it should go together much faster but it doesn't.

effutuo101
There should be! driving.gif
simonjb

I have been slowly restoring my 1974 with about 38,000 miles on the clock. As you can see below, I've stripped it all the way down. I am also re-thinking if I should also replace the front and rear shocks? The rear ones are BOGE and look original. The car only has 38,000 miles, but it is over 40 years old...plus would it be easier now than latter?

Comments?
barefoot
QUOTE(simonjb @ Feb 22 2018, 12:35 PM) *

I have been slowly restoring my 1974 with about 38,000 miles on the clock. As you can see below, I've stripped it all the way down. I am also re-thinking if I should also replace the front and rear shocks? The rear ones are BOGE and look original. The car only has 38,000 miles, but it is over 40 years old...plus would it be easier now than latter?

Comments?

Easy enough to strip them down (borrow a spring compressor from your local FLAPS)
then clean & repaint you can test the shocks to see if still good then.
n2j2ryan
Thanks for the Pics. I am a couple of months behind you so am storing some of your photos!!!
Is that a Tangerine Fuel kit?
Thanks
Neil
simonjb
A bit more progress..Engine work..

Added the Taco plate cover and ran the wire

Added the red seals from 914 Rubber to the heater connections

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

rhodyguy
A+ on the duct gaskets. Every bit of sealing helps. AM seals elsewhere are cost prohibitive.
simonjb
Nice delivery today! From NHS
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=644
418]

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Really nice.
Everything looks great!
simonjb
Thank you. Its rewarding.
simonjb
So I made some more progress, but two steps forward and one back. The paint shop had reattached the front suspension and all was done nicely - that’s when I went to reinstall the lower part of the steering shaft and hockey puck. Well, as most of you know, that can’t be done unless you drop the front suspension. Ugh. So I had to do all of that, and then placed the dust cover and new bearing and seal over the shaft before i raised up the suspension and guided the shaft through the body into the rear of the dash area. In any case, a few hours later and the steering was all reconnected.

Click to view attachment
porschetub
Wow that car is sharp ,nice work really,way more flash than mine pray.gif .
bobboinski
Your car is going to be beautiful. This is what I want to do when I really retire. Great work.
bbrock
QUOTE(simonjb @ Apr 28 2018, 09:00 PM) *

- that’s when I went to reinstall the lower part of the steering shaft and hockey puck. Well, as most of you know, that can’t be done unless you drop the front suspension. Ugh.

Maybe most know this, but not all, and you probably saved me from making that mistake when my car goes back together. I'm loving watching your showstopper go back together. Fantastic work! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.