Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Switched Positive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
Hi

I am installing a Derale oil cooler # 15950 with a Derale fan controller # 16749. The wiring for the controller calls for a switched positive to the Yellow wire off the relay. See picture.

I know my coil is a switched positive - But is there another switched positive inside the relay box in the engine bay ?, or is the coil the best option?

Click to view attachment
euro911
IPB Image
Spoke
QUOTE(simonjb @ Dec 24 2017, 04:01 PM) *

I know my coil is a switched positive - But is there another switched positive inside the relay box in the engine bay ?, or is the coil the best option?

The coil wire is the only wire accessible from either main connector.

Pin 86 on the power supply relay (also pin I on the fuel injection ECU connector shown in the bottom left) is also a switched power lead.
76-914
George, do the instructions say anything about NOT locating the fan controller in the engine compartment? MY Derale unit lasted about 2 years before it shorted out internally. It did not mention that but when I switched over to Dakota Digitals unit it was mentioned in their instructions. I feel the engine heat is what ruined my Derale unit but can't prove it. beerchug.gif
Bartlett 914
My oil cooler came with a thermostat. I installed the thermostat on the outlet side of the cooler and had this control the fan. I used an unswitched circuit with a series fuse. The fan will run after stopping until the temperature is lower. I put the sensor on the outlet because the oil from the engine will always be hot enough to trip the thermostat. The oil cooler will remove some heat without the fan. I let this work until the fan is needed
IronHillRestorations
As long as you are just using the coil wire to activate a relay, that's going to be the easiest way to go.
simonjb
Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the coil. My unit came with a thermostat as well, but its not adjustable. So I am going with an adjustable thermostat that requires the relay etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.