Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hyperutectic Pistons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
I heard of a 2.0 for sale with Hypereutectic pistons. Looked them up on the internet and saw one (only one) negative report about them. The article said they can't take the heat. This was on an 8 cylinder with a blower that was being road raced so I don't know if this had anything to do with it's blowing... They lost # 7 & 8.
Anyone know anything 'bout these?
bruce
ninefourteener
For a 914???? I have no idea.

I have used them before in a lot of older GM stuff (sue me, I used to be a hardcore GM guy). They are conssidered a better, stronger, and lighter piston than stock, which was great for HP engine builders to save the cost of Forged Pistons. A lot of guys I knew ran turbos and superchargers and loved them.

Nitrous guys had to go with forged pistons though. I guess the heat created with nitrous would burn them out quickly.

I'd say for a 914, they'd be great... if for nothing else but saving weight.............. If you can find someone who makes them--LOL

Tell me if you do...

beerchug.gif
my15window
A.A. sells them for about 350.00$ hes out of stock right now but said he's getting a run of 250 of them in a couple of weeks, hopefully...
Aaron Cox
a vw place sells em. i dont even know what hyperwhatever means mad.gif care to explain confused24.gif
Bruce Allert
Well.. this is what it means;
Having the minor component present in a larger amount than in the eutectic composition of the same components.
Here's a site that explains it
http://www.kb-silvolite.com/page03.htm
and here's a place that sells 'm
http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/307/
bruce
Brad Roberts
They work great. I used them for years in SBC's and 2.0 4cyl engines. They actually work very well with heat. KB moves the top ring down on the piston a few thousands to help keep the dome heat away from the compression ring.

The reason Nitrous guy's dont/cant use them (blower guy's really shouldnt try) Nitrous cools the pistons quickly and Hypereutectic will shatter with the very quick cooling of a Nitrous blast on a hot piston.

Bruce.. you will find that 90% of the VW Type 1 volume engine rebuilders have used Hyper pistons for at least 8-10 years now in their engines.

B
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 8 2003, 08:14 PM)

Bruce.. you will find that 90% of the VW Type 1 volume engine rebuilders have used Hyper pistons for at least 8-10 years now in their engines.

B

I don't know if I qualify as a VW Type 1 volume engine rebuilder, but I do build a few, lets see, 15+ this spring/summer so far.

For the type 1, I only use Malhe (Cima, Cofap same thing) pistons, 85.5mm, 90.5mm or 94mm. Lets face it, they're cheap (retail 90 to 160 bucks) and they have the proper pin offset.

Hypers are worth it on the type 4 though, $250 plus machining your old cylinders, (the new cylinders "kits"are crap). John has them at aircooled.net he calls them cast but they are the hypers.

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewprodu...708200360897501
TheCabinetmaker
Here's a set on ebay now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2423048064
maf914
"Turn your Stock 7.3:1 compression 2.0L type 4 engine into a 9.2:1 EUROPEAN SPEC RIPPER"

Oh yeah baby! That bus is gonna fly!

Mike
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. I have one of those at the shop right now. They put Euro P+C's on a Bus block with a 1.7 bus camshaft. It runs like a turd. NO power at all. There is a reason why the factory matches camshafts and factor's in compression and displacement.

B
TheCabinetmaker
Seemss like the old saying "too good to be true" applies here!
Brad Roberts
Its people selling parts that have NO idea if/how they actually "work together".

B
Bruce Allert
I'd found this 2.0 project engine on Shoptalk (in pieces). I don't know enough about engines to take on a project such as this. It sounded good but what sounds good can be a mistake if one, not in the know, can't make it all work (that's me). I think I'll stick with a stock 2.0 for now. Besides, a broken tooth needing caped & 2 others waiting in line kinda drains the engine budget unsure.gif
bruce
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 9 2003, 07:44 AM)
Its people selling parts that have NO idea if/how they actually "work together".

B

I see that all the time!

I have 2 owner built engines sitting here right now waiting for me too tear 'em down and build 'em right. Will end up costing them double than if they had me do the job in the first place.

Guys buy a couple of parts here and a couple there, trying to get the cheapest price on each and every part. They fail to realize that there are a lot of vendors out there that could care less if what they're selling will work, they just want to sell/push product.

Then they wonder why they have a total mis-matched piece of shit engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.