Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 conversion ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914work
In the theme of go big or go home ..
Is an LS6 TOO much motor (torque) for a daily driven 914?
driving.gif
Would a 901 be a complete waste of time?
idea.gif
popcorn[1].gif
flmont
Iam doing a EG33 conversion,.now,.If you go early SBC,.it will make life easy,.a easy 300 ponies simple hook up,kits avaliable Etc,..only kinda bad thing is clutch may be hard to use due to the need of a strong clutch ,..!!!

I know people that have a 901 with V8's they last a long time as long as u don't pull a lot of hole shot's
Chris914n6
A 901 is at it's limits around 300hp, and so is the chassis. It's gets expensive to do over 300hp on a daily (>$10k).

A 914 conversion is only a 2200lb car, so 200hp goes pretty fast.
76-914
If you couple the Audi 6 speed to it along with larger CV's, chassis stiffening and bigger brakes you'll be OK. The torque is what eats the 901 transmission. If your tarting from scratch I would Goth Audi route. Horse power gets expensive over 250 HP. Chris is correct that the 200 horses is plenty in a 914 but then again; you'll always want more. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
You'll hear the same story repeated about 901s: if you don't abuse them, they can last behind a V8 - within reason. In the end, it's your call about how much work/time/money you want to put into the car and how you want to use it.

I didn't want to worry about the trans so I'm going Boxster 6 speed behind my LS3.
Cracker (Tony) ran this motor / trans combo in his car before upgrading to an LS7 so it's been pretty well proven to work with 500+ hp.

Best of luck with your decision and let me be the first re: your build, even though you haven't even started:
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

laugh.gif
wndsrfr
QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 27 2017, 08:54 PM) *

driving.gif
idea.gif
popcorn[1].gif

The 901 will last forever if you just stick with an open diff & the stock 155/75/15's..... av-943.gif
Andyrew
901 would be a waste of time. It shifts like crap and doesnt like to much TQ.

Also the gearing is Horrible for a v8.

Everyone I know that has done a LS / Audi swap is still driving the cars... You dont see many/any swapped cars or conversions kits on the market because the setup works, and works well.

At that power level there is a lot more needed for a complete package than just a stronger trani, but I am sure you know that.
Dr Evil
I always recommend going with a different box; 915 or 930 even better. Boxter or Audi is great and a better waste of money than the others. Basically, put a Hyabusa motor on a bicycle and see how the gearing likes it.
dwillouby
I have a 901 in my conversion. Gen 1 SBC 420+ HP. It has the swapped gears and H 5th. Car seems happy with gearing. Been in the car going on 10 years with only leaking seal replacement. I drive it like an old man most of the time with no full power starts Yes it shifts poorly compared to others but I am used to it. Still very fun.
If I had the few extra thousand dollars it will take to upgrade to a boxster trans I would do it.
burton73
You will need super Brakes. The stock trans will work if you do not drop the clutch but the CV will pop on you if you do. You will not need 1st gear. Big power, need big cooling. You can see what others before have done and you can do it right.

There have been some super deals here before. You may get lucky.

Do you have a car now? What is its state of repair?

Bob B
Cracker
To answer your first question: No it is not...a stock LS6 would be perfect behaved.*
To answer your second question: No, so long as you are reasonable operator.

*Do not be tempted to a head/cam upgrade...LS motors are best in stock form.

Tony

QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 27 2017, 11:54 PM) *

driving.gif
idea.gif
popcorn[1].gif
JRust
The LS motor's can be driven as tame as you like. I drove an ls3 with a 901. Same as everyone says. 901 can be used if driven smart. Roll on the speed don't drop the clutch & your good.

Having said that. Why add a sick motor & stick with the old time shifting 901 that wasn't made for the power. The Audi six speed you will not regret. Don't do the conversion half way. Go all out & do it right
andys
LS1/Audi 01e 6 speed here. Behind an LS6, I would probably avoid the 901. Seems the best route these days, is the Boxster 6 speed, though I don't know how well the gear ratios work out. On my setup, I'm using a QuarterMaster 8 1/2" clutch with bronze/ceramic friction material. Pedal effort is very friendly due to the aggressive disc material; very prone to chatter so it takes some finessing to get it engaged smoothly. What I love the most about the LSx motors, is the driveability of a full on EFI/management system.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.