Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wire grommets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
The finish line is in sight for repairing/restoring my wiring harnesses. Now I'm thinking about grommets. Has anyone already compiled a list of part numbers or sizes for grommets needed that they would like to share? If not, I'll take measurements and source generic grommets accordingly.

There are a couple of oddballs that I have yet to find a source for.

One is the oil temp sensor grommet/boot that fits into the taco plate. It is P/N 311.949.149A but looks like it might be NLA. I haven't tried the local VW-Audi dealer yet, but don't have high hopes. Last time I talked to their parts dept., they didn't even know what a Type IV engine was and couldn't locate an oil pump gasket for me. screwy.gif I found a year old thread that indicated 914Rubber might try to source or make this item. Any news on that front?

Also, there is the grommet where the cable for the brake switch on the master cylinder passes through the bulkhead under the fuel tank. Mine looks like it had a nipple/sleeve on it but I can't find a part number anywhere. Anyone have any ideas? And yes, I already tried the alternator cable grommet. Doesn't fit.
mepstein
If you have part numbers, check your local Porsche dealer. I often get small parts from them, shipping is usually free and quick.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 28 2017, 12:09 PM) *

If you have part numbers, check your local Porsche dealer. I often get small parts from them, shipping is usually free and quick.

Local Porsche dealer is 500 miles away. sad.gif

Also, only one or two of the grommets for the main harness are listed in the PET. Not sure where to find part numbers.
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 28 2017, 02:46 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 28 2017, 12:09 PM) *

Local Porsche dealer is 500 miles away. sad.gif

Also, only one or two of the grommets for the main harness are listed in the PET. Not sure where to find part numbers.

Sorry , everything is so close on the east coast. I drive past our dealer on my way to work. I bet bdstone/ Bruce Stone or Garold have bins of 914 grommets.
UROpartsman
These aren't exactly what you're looking for, but maybe they could help:

914 613 491 00 - Back Up Light Switch Boot (also fits brake master cylinder switch)
999 659 006 50 - Starter Cable Boot (Covers starter cable connection at starter motor)
999 702 007 50 - Alternator Harness Grommet (NLA from Porsche)
Mikey914
Ah.........got these need anything else?

And Ill sell them at a price 20% lower than any URO part. biggrin.gif
914Sixer
Keep in mind that all the gromets came from the VW line. Check Classic Beetle parts. Some of the parts will have VW numbers 111,113,141,211 and 411.
PanelBilly
Sunset Porsche in Portland is your friend. They have an on line order system and they discount the prices. I've always found their shipping to be reasonable.
PanelBilly
Sunset Porsche in Portland is your friend. They have an on line order system and they discount the prices. I've always found their shipping to be reasonable.
bbrock
Thanks all. The challenge here is that I don't have part numbers for the basic grommets on the main harness. They aren't listed in the PET, which is frustrating. In most cases, all I have is a hole in the chassis that the harness passes through that I can measure. In a few cases, I have a scrap of petrified rubber clinging to the harness with no discernable marks. 914Rubber has offered to assist with what they can. What would we do without them?

Like Mark Heard said, the majority of these are VW parts so I've been looking from that angle as well. BTW Mark, the backup switch boot arrived and will soon be in its rightful place. Thanks again! beerchug.gif
914Sixer
I have a source in the Philippines that may have some of the stuff. I will see what I can find. Check West Coast Metric. They have a catalogue but it can be hit or miss. They show parts but don't seem to have them in stock.
bdstone914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 28 2017, 07:26 PM) *

Keep in mind that all the gromets came from the VW line. Check Classic Beetle parts. Some of the parts will have VW numbers 111,113,141,211 and 411.

I don't think there is a VW part number for a taco plate grommet as they were used on 914 engines not Type IV bus engines.
EDIT: here is the VW number and a source for the taco plate grommet
https://www.vwispwest.com/311949149A.html?p=YzE9MTcy

I have a bunch of commercial grommets that are not perfect but work for the taco plate. See what 914 Rubber has new. I have not tried it but the grommet for the wires to the license plate lights may be the same type and size.

Forget URO parts junk. Every time I think I can buy a simple part from them that works I find they have an incredible talent for screwing up the simplest of parts. Go Chinese Kuality !
914forme
As for finding part numbers use the Porsche PET confused24.gif The PET does not list all the grommets used in the 914. Lots of times they will show the harness section or item passing through the grommet with no mention of the gorment or a indicator of the part number. confused24.gif

Currently available online @ Porsche 914 PET

I would download it as a PDF and save it for the future. Not sure how long Porsche will make it available on their www connection. Handy reference to have if you don't have it.
bdstone914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 28 2017, 07:26 PM) *

I found the taco plate gromett is a 311 number. 311949149A
76-914
I gave up on rubber bushings a while back. Too much trouble to install in many instances. And sometimes they'd dislodge when I pulled an extra wire thru them. These are much more durable and available in many sizes. I bought an assortment and keep them on hand. Give these a try and you won't look back. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ep/bus...snapbushing.php
bbrock
I think I've made some good progress. Wolfsburg West has technical diagrams of most of the common Bug grommets on their site. So I was able to cross-ref pics and dimension with what I have. Here is what I have so far. Items with ??? in the Notes indicate I'm making an educated guess that is the P/N, but the specs look like they will work.

Click to view attachment

I have a couple questions about cables exiting the center tunnel. When I disassembled my car, seat belt, backpad light, and e-brake wires all came out of the hole with red arrow. But it seems like the backpad light and e-brake should come out the hole with yellow arrow. It also seems like those holes should have grommets. Anyone know if they did?

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
We've made them and quite a few other ones. The problem is identifying them.
Heck we've even made the wirring harness connectors and are about to roll out ingnition harnesses.

Check with your local co op we may have it.
Mikey914
More
Mikey914
If not we can make it. It's what we do.
Mikey914
We do make the "D" grommet, just trying to put my hands on it right now.
Mikey914
I've literally have over a dozen other parts that we are almost complete on. It just takes some time to get these listed up and figure costs, You can lookk forward to over 200 more new parts this upcomming year!
rgolia
Mark - I need a lot of that stuff in your picks. How do I get them?
Mikey914
Until I can get them officailly listed Drop me an email with parts circled. I'll send you my email in PM.
Blake and Kate are out sick, and Matt took the week off, so we are a little busy, but I can help out.
Mark
Mikey914
Found it
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 29 2017, 01:22 PM) *

We've made them and quite a few other ones. The problem is identifying them.
Heck we've even made the wirring harness connectors and are about to roll out ingnition harnesses.

Check with your local co op we may have it.

Awesome! I'll be sending some pics and list as promised. I wound up compiling that list just trying to figure out what the H I was missing so I could check with you. Didn't mention it here because I was afraid I'd be letting the cat out of the bag before you were ready.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.