Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Collector Car Appraiser in SF Bay Area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
halmil
Does anyone have a recommendation for an appraiser in the SF Bay Area. The appraisals my ex has gotten are ridiculous

Thanks in advance
burton73
As far as the value they came up with, or the price for their service is too much.

Like with art. A willing seller and a willing buyer on a given day.

Bob B

GeorgeRud
Could you use the Hagerty price Guide or Kelly Blue Book values?
burton73
Are you looking for a low or a high value? blink.gif . When you say EX I am thinking money to the Ex.

Bob B
Mikey914
If she wants half, and it's stupid money, let her buy you out. She may have a more realistic value when she thinks she may be stuck with it.
wes
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 28 2017, 10:08 PM) *

If she wants half, and it's stupid money, let her buy you out. She may have a more realistic value when she thinks she may be stuck with it.

Yes perfect!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 29 2017, 03:08 AM) *

Take a look at the appraisers as well. It’s one thing for the guy to have a website, a business card, and 30 years of experience. Quite another to have “uncle joe who knows cars” look at it. Especially if uncle joe knows that her goal is to extract as much money as possible from you...
GeorgeRud
What model of car are you wanting appraised? Big difference if it’s a -4 or a -6 or an aircooled 911. I like the idea of letting her have the car if it’s appraised stupidly high, then get another toy for yourself. Much easier than fighting and giving the money to the lawyers.
Mueller
Hal,

Have you looked in a Hemmings Classic Car magazine? Might be worth heading to book store to thumb thru one. I just looked thru the latest Diablo PCA newsletter with no adverts for this service.

Being in the Bay Area I wonder if you could go or call one of the higher end car dealerships that sell older classics and hot rods?

Found one: http://www.specialtysales.com/ there are few in NorCal, not sure where you are up here.
windforfun
Rich at High Performance House in Redwood City might be able to help you. 650-364-6234.
halmil
Her appraiser has some initials after his name, although who knows how legitimate that organization is!
He went on to Autotrader.com and found the most expensive cars, including a 9,000 mile 1996 Turbo with a 285k asking price and then took an average, so of course, that jacked up his appraisal price.
The cars with similar mileage had more realistic prices, but again, he used asking prices and not actual selling prices. That is a joke.

I subscribe to Sports Car Market magazine and even their price guide is at least 50k less than his appraisal.

I use Bob Grigsby at RMG as my wrench and he knows prices pretty well
GeorgeRud
Take it to CarMax and get their offer for it to show them.
JOEPROPER
sell to a friend for a $buck$ and give her half.
My 914
The fact that she got an appraiser to look at the car means she's serious. You need to be equally so. Whatever you present her with needs to be perceived as legitimate. Hopefully you won't have to sell the car to make this work out.
EdwardBlume
You might want to have her agree to who is appraising the car. That way its agreed on in advance. If it comes in too high, its hers.
ConeDodger
There’s a funny story I’ve told over the years. A guy in Chaska Minnesota was going through a divorce. His wife got an appraisal for his Mustang GT350H. His choices were to give it to her or sell it and give her half, or half the appraisal. He did none of the three. He built a clone with the same numbers as his title, then tried to sell it to one of the experts on the GT350H. He of course found it be a fake and appraised it at $5K. She got $2500. He kept the car.
I can tell this story because he died today. Myron Cotrell of Horsepower Farms in Minnesota. True story. RIP Myron...
burton73
Hal M
96 993TT (Toy)
05 SL 600 (DD)
1973 914 2.0L (Orangina) (AX/Vintage Rally)

I guess it is the 96 993TT

BaT Essentials
• Lot #2694
• Chassis: WP0AC2992VS375795
• 35k Miles
• Twin Turbocharged 3.6L Flat-Six
• 6-Speed Manual Transmission
• All Wheel Drive
• Upgraded Turbos, Intercoolers, Exhaust
• GT2 Suspension and Rear Wing
• OEM Parts Included
• Clean Carfax
• Private Party or Dealer: Private Party
• Model Page: Porsche 993 Turbo
Category: German

Sold on 11/25/16 for $155,000.
This is a real number that the car sold for. Appraisers have to use what cars sold for as part of the number because if not it is just pie in the sky numbers. As I said before on a given day with a motivated seller and motivated buyer. There are more numbers on BAT. Appraisers have to use every sale they can find to come up with for the formula. Auctions that sold. Even international and work back the numbers but the car may not be a USA car and that may make it different.

So a year ago $155,000. Is that more in line with what you think? Chime on in here. What do you think?

Divorce is a bitch. I had one good friend that went through a bad divorce. He said (scorched earth). No winners only the lawyers. Or only wieners!

Try to work it out

Bob B
Dont be the sheep: sheeplove.gif Do that to the lawyers
whitetwinturbo
I have a 97tt but $150k probably close. I'm a real estate broker and I use SOLD prices to appraise NOT what people are "asking" for their property. Ebay has guys "asking" twice as much..... blink.gif
halmil
My car is a 96 with 46,000 miles.
Today, I am thinking 130K or so.
I made her an appropriate offer, but what does she know besides what her appraiser told her.
However, his basing his appraisal on asking prices shows that his work is worthless.
I subscribe to Sports Car Market magazine and their price database is based upon auction selling prices and their current guidance is in line with my thinking
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.