Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New GB Rear trunk lock upgrade kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mikey914
We will be making a rear trunk lock repair kit that replaces the rubber base, the outter bezel and the lock button. It will allow you to use your lock (no re keying) to make the one you have look brand new.

Who's in?
mepstein
I’ll take a couple. Thanks!
UROpartsman
Great idea, what a coincidence that Sierra Madre and AA just started selling this exact product from URO yesterday: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=321825

IPB Image
Mikey914
Yep biggrin.gif
Will be made in USA and better materials for less!
walterolin
One set.
Olympic 914
Will be watching this....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Dec 29 2017, 06:48 PM) *

Great idea, what a coincidence that Sierra Madre and AA just started selling that exact product yesterday: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=321825

IPB Image

So judging by your stats, you’ve trolled 914Rubber’s posts 15 times? confused24.gif
You’ll find we’re all pretty loyal and his parts don’t have a 50% failure rate so...
jim_hoyland
smile.gif Another great idea/ product; thanks for making these. Put me down for one
gothspeed
Wow! idea.gif
Mikey914
We will actually machine these from steel not pot metal. This is what pot metal does.
If we polish and plate the steel it will be a much better product. It is possible we to make in stainless, however it will drive the price up, as material is much more expensive in the correct alloy. idea.gif
914_7T3
Please add me to the group buy for 1 please!
jcambo7
What material is the stock one made out of?
falcor75
Materialwise yes stainless is of course more expensive than mild steel.
Machining wise the cost should be the same if you use a good machinist, they're both "soft" materials.
Where they differ is the finish, the stainless can be just polished to an ok surface or a brushed satin look where the mild steel needs to be chromed.
The chroming process should be as expensive as polishing the stainless if not even more expensive weighing up some of the added stainless material cost.

This is the sort of stuff I do on a daily basis as my profession, good luck Mark. smile.gif
Mikey914
The machining will not be an issue as we have our own shop, the 304/5 machines much easier, but will be best if we do 316, a little harder but will not brown. One of those, if your gonna do it do it right things.

I'm thinking I may have 2 flavors, the plated and the stainless.
Mikey914
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Dec 29 2017, 09:40 PM) *

Not 100% sure of content on all, but the factory had at least some that were zinc diecast.
rmdinmd
I am in for one.
sithot
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 30 2017, 03:26 AM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Dec 29 2017, 09:40 PM) *

Not 100% sure of content on all, but the factory had at least some that were zinc diecast.

I'm in. THANK YOU.

Always up for support of those who are aiding the hobby, especially if they are a manufacturer. Manufacturing isn't as easy as it looks.
live free & drive
Why not have the stainless electropolished - it does any deburring necessary along with a pretty nice finish that will never rust because all surface carbon has been removed.

It is cheaper/faster than plating. I you turn the outer bezel/button surfaces to a pretty high RA you will get a nearly chrome appearance.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SAVU_e...37FQcN8WxX6UqM:
brownaar
I'll take a set.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 29 2017, 09:54 PM) *

We will actually machine these from steel not pot metal. This is what pot metal does.
If we polish and plate the steel it will be a much better product. It is possible we to make in stainless, however it will drive the price up, as material is much more expensive in the correct alloy. idea.gif

I know that hand !
I have one just like it. LOL Or is that a new URO part ?
Bruce
bdstone914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 29 2017, 09:54 PM) *

I love the way Uro parts trolls your posts. Do they really think they are gaining customers with that tactic?
Bruce
Shadowfax
I don’t need it but count me in for a set. The troll post from the URO puke ... I mean parts ... guy helped me with the decision. Their products are post-2-1117899824.gif
db9146
I'm in for a set Mark.
Mikey914
Fortunately,
I have had lots of experience polishing stainless. Mostly glass rail components, but same idea. It can be polished to a mirror finish.
mb911
I think this will be a great product.
scallyk9
Count me in for one please!
Dominic
I'll take a set! Thanks for having these made.

Cheers,
Dominic
ConeDodger
I don’t need one, since mine uses the GT delete of the trunk lock. But I do keep all the deleted stuff on the shelf in case some future owner wants to go back to original. blink.gif
Just to piss on the URO troll, I’ll take one and restore this original.
mb911
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 30 2017, 02:02 PM) *

I don’t need one, since mine uses the GT delete of the trunk lock. But I do keep all the deleted stuff on the shelf in case some future owner wants to go back to original. blink.gif
Just to piss on the URO troll, I’ll take one and restore this original.

Thats a good point.. I forgot all about that.. I will be doing the same.. Gotta research pictures..
914Sixer
I am in for one.
djway
Hand Up
gothspeed
I blasted and powdercoated mine black to match trim scheme. If my coating doesn't last, then i will have no choice but to get one of these smile.gif
914-300Hemi
Mark,
Please put me down for one set.
914sgofast2
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 29 2017, 01:43 PM) *

We will be making a rear trunk lock repair kit that replaces the rubber base, the outter bezel and the lock button. It will allow you to use your lock (no re keying) to make the one you have look brand new.

Who's in?

What about redoing the “tongue” screwed to the back of the the tumbler assembly? The potmetal ones break off, and so do the plastic ones sold by Auto Atlanta. I have had to drill out 2 trunk locks so far because thr tongue part broke off!
Targa70
I'm in for one.
mepstein
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Dec 31 2017, 11:43 AM) *

Who's in?

What about redoing the “tongue” screwed to the back of the the tumbler assembly? The potmetal ones break off, and so do the plastic ones sold by Auto Atlanta. I have had to drill out 2 trunk locks so far because thr tongue part broke off!

agree.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Dec 31 2017, 08:43 AM) *

Who's in?

Thank you for bringing that up, i will inspect mine and replace with something stronger. Drilling to open sounds aweful. sad.gif
Mikey914
I can machine out of steel pretty easily.
aharder
1 for me biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 31 2017, 12:41 PM) *

Its a part that everyone should purchase BEFORE they break. After they break, getting your trunk open is a pita. That part should have never been made out of weak metal.
pgollender
Mark, I'm in for 2 sets
Rleog
In for one.
Thanks
eric914
Put be down for a set.
gothspeed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 31 2017, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 31 2017, 12:41 PM) *

Its a part that everyone should purchase BEFORE they break. After they break, getting your trunk open is a pita. That part should have never been made out of weak metal.

agree.gif i just inspected mine and as you mentioned it is some soft metal. It seems to be made of zinc. i would buy a steel one of these in a heartbeat. Heck even 6061-T6 aluminum would outlast the zinc.
Mikey914
Aluminum is an option, but it would more susceptible to galling. So I ruled it out. Would be cheaper, best to just use the more expensive material.
mharmon
I'm in for one.
11tenths
The chrome is starting to flake off on mine, sooo- I'm in.

-HB
JoeD
I'm in for one set. Thanks!

Joe
Kansas 914
Two sets for me please!

Well done - cheers!
Amphicar770
Put me in for 1. Thx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.