Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When are you too big for a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I'm 6'-1' and I've already cut down my seat cushion so I sit at a more comfortable level and can see out my rear view mirror.

Teenhulk, my 16 year old son is now 6'-3" blink.gif
Just in the last month he's grown 1/2". huh.gif
If he grows much more he'll have to rethink his 914 project, maybe lower the drivers floor in the seating area. unsure.gif

When do you think someone is too tall for a 914?
mepstein
Ask Tony / Cracker.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 30 2017, 01:42 PM) *

Ask Tony / Cracker.

agree.gif

He is 6'5" I believe..we just talked about it last week (he and I)
Drums66
......Wilt the stilt(chamberlain) fit in his....can somebody run the PIC! shades.gif
bye1.gif
oakdalecurtis
Well, I am 6'4" tall and fit in my car just fine, except I made the following modifications to make it perfect for me.
- I RAISED the front edge of the drivers seat pad with a one inch block of wood underneath for more thigh support.
- I installed a smaller Momo steering wheel with a JSWest eccentric adaptor (http://www.jwesteng.com/shop/home/15-steering-eccentric-adapter.html). The adaptor moves the steering wheel upward about an inch, and with the smaller Momo wheel, this adds a lot of leg room underneath. The eccentric adaptor also improves your view of the gauges through the smaller Momo wheel.
- I repositioned the shifter to the right slightly to allow for even more knee and leg room.
- Then I cut off the brake pedal and rewelded the pedal lever to the right side of the back of the brake pedal, moving the brake pedal slightly more to the left. This gives my size 13 feet about an extra inch of foot room between the brake pedal and the center console for my big right foot on the gas pedal.
It all fits me like a glove now!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 30 2017, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 30 2017, 01:42 PM) *

Ask Tony / Cracker.

agree.gif

He is 6'5" I believe..we just talked about it last week (he and I)

I sat in his car and I felt like a little kid trying to see over the dash. I’m 5 10.
snakemain
I'm 6'2. I tend to lean back a little more in cars due to neck and back issues, so my seat is forward a little so I can tilt it back. Stock seats with a smaller flat-bottom steering wheel for extra knee room, and a steering wheel disconnect that moves the wheel a couple inches closer to me. Still have several inches of extra head room with the top on. Guess it basically depends on your individual body proportions and how you sit.
tomeric914
I'm 6' 3" and fit in street driven 914s with no problem. It's only when I put a helmet on that there's a problem.

My solution was to bolt a Kirkey 47 Intermediate as close to the floor as possible.
jcambo7
I'm almost 6'4 and I have the stock seats on mine. I have the seat forward just enough so I can tilt it all the way back. I fit just fine and can still see out the rear view mirror. Wasn't their a 914 owned by someone on this site with the floor pan cut and lowered an inch or two so he could comfortably wear his helmet while racing?
Larmo63
Gurney bump.......?
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Dec 30 2017, 01:51 PM) *

......Wilt the stilt(chamberlain) fit in his....can somebody run the PIC! shades.gif
bye1.gif

Kansas 914
I am 6' 5" (185 lbs) and have been driving 914s since 1978 when I was 23. Now at age 63 (almost) I am comfortable in the car for drives up to 4 or 5 hours before I need a break to stretch. The only thing now is I get in and out of the car a little slower than before!

That said - there is an amazing amount of room once seated. I think width plays as big a part as height and I am a skinny dude.
Mark Henry
Good to know...my fear is he isn't done yet.

It's weird no one in my family has ever been taller than me, so looking up at my teen is a tad freakish. I guess it's not a huge surprise his mom is 5'-11".
Good info on moving the gas pedal, he has a size 14 shoe.
struckn
Yep to the MOMO Adapter and smaller Diameter Steering Wheel. The smaller wheel also makes it so much easier to get in and out of the car. Also tilt the Seat back. I've let other teeners sit in my car and they are usually surprised.

driving.gif
vanderheide
QUOTE(struckn @ Dec 30 2017, 07:17 PM) *

Yep to the MOMO Adapter and smaller Diameter Steering Wheel. The smaller wheel also makes it so much easier to get in and out of the car. Also tilt the Seat back. I've let other teeners sit in my car and they are usually surprised.

driving.gif

I am 6’6” and race my car. Mono wheel gear shift moved racing seat
thelogo
Im 6-2 3/4
Fit in the teener snug like a german ww2 fighter plane
Perfect for a cruise or cars and coffee

But wouldn't want to go cross country in it

smoke.gif

Krieger
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Dec 30 2017, 03:30 PM) *

I'm almost 6'4 and I have the stock seats on mine. I have the seat forward just enough so I can tilt it all the way back. I fit just fine and can still see out the rear view mirror. Wasn't their a 914 owned by someone on this site with the floor pan cut and lowered an inch or two so he could comfortably wear his helmet while racing?

I did this. Look at the first page of my project thread. I dropped the back of the floor under the seat one inch. I fit great with a helmet.
GregAmy
I'm 6'1" and in the street car I drive with the stock seat all the way back. I don't touch the targa top. However I've had folks comment that notice my head sticks above the targa bar with the roof stowed.

In the race car I had to go with an uncushioned Butler aluminum racing seat bolted directly to the floor to be able to pass the broomstick test with a helmet on with the top off (main hoop tube fits slightly above the targa bar, directly against the roof when installed). I also had to rotate the seat down and forward, and leg room is "just right"; any more and it would be a problem.

The only concern I have about height in the street car is that if I did flip the car over then that targa top will not support the car and will likely collapse; there's a potential there for compression injury. Easiest solution is to not flip the car over...

Spec Miata guys offer weld-in floor pan inserts to drop the seat down an inch or so.
gereed75
I am 6'4" + and have been comfy in my car since 1974. Do like the smaller momo.

Very surprised no one has mentioned the old trick of removing the seat cushion and putting in a thin foam pad for track driving. Not only provides extra head room to fit a helmet but also provides additional bolster support.

My 6'4" 300+ lb ex NFL lineman son has driven the car. Not comfy but fits.
stevend914
I'm more of a "when are you too old for a 914" person!
SirAndy
Can't remember the guys name, he was from the SLC area in Utah.

Anyways, 6'10 i believe and well over 300 pounds and he had to do some major rework of the seats and firewall to fit in his 914.

The thing looked like a toy car next to him ...
biggrin.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
In 1977, I was not to big to fit into my 914.

40 years later, I'm still not to big to fit, nor am I too friggin' old
Mark Henry
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Dec 31 2017, 12:07 PM) *

I am 6'4" + and have been comfy in my car since 1974. Do like the smaller momo.

Very surprised no one has mentioned the old trick of removing the seat cushion and putting in a thin foam pad for track driving. Not only provides extra head room to fit a helmet but also provides additional bolster support.

My 6'4" 300+ lb ex NFL lineman son has driven the car. Not comfy but fits.

Accually I kind of did, very first post first line

I'm 6'-1' and I've already cut down my seat cushion so I sit at a more comfortable level and can see out my rear view mirror.

I cut my cushion down to 1" and replaced the seat cover.
porschetub
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 1 2018, 07:37 AM) *

In 1977, I was not to big to fit into my 914.

40 years later, I'm still not to big to fit, nor am I too friggin' old

6 ft give or take ,the 914 is very roomy compared to the 911's and 356's I have been in,the 356 is rather cramped IMO,as with the 944 you kinda fall into them,my smaller steering wheel helps with getting my legs in.
My son got tall relatively late in his teens and is now same height as me ,his mother (RIP) was tall also.
Cracker
Just seeing this today and the answer seems to be clear...your son will have no issue.

The 914 is uniquely accommodating for tall frames - it gets tighter if a driver is on track with a helmet like Tomeric mentioned. I fit fine in stock seats in a street car - not so with a helmet. t!

Below is a pic that shoes the dropped pan on my car - the black unit protruding from under my seat. I sit very low and even with full gear I have about 2" of clearance - it doesn't sound like much but I honestly would not want to be any lower in a 914 for line-of-sight issues.

Cracker

Click to view attachment

LowBridge
the one on the left is 6'6" and he fits just fine
mbseto
What's with all you tall people? Did I miss a height requirement when I joined the site??

There's no too tall, there's just a no-man's-land where you are too tall to see through the windshield and too short to see over it!
Alphaogre
I'm 6'7" 280lbs and fit, I tilted my fixed-back Corbeau seat back and my knees are higher than most, but I fit pretty good. Makes it more like a go-kart! biggrin.gif
Alphaogre
Me standing near mine and a semi-normal size person hahaha (muggs if you know him)

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
Me at 6’4” fit into the 914 much better than my wife’s Boxster!
EdwardBlume
I think the gut is more of an issue than height.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Jan 16 2018, 06:10 PM) *

I think the gut is more of an issue than height.

From what I've heard.... dry.gif
PlaysWithCars
6'4", 200lbs and I fit comfortably. I'm all legs though. I have a buddy who's 6'7" and he's all torso. He doesn't fit unless the top is off.

I can fit inside with the top on while wearing a helmet but its tight and didn't happen w/o creative reworking of the racing seats (to retain the factory slide/tilt mechanism) and a thinner seat cushion.
campbellcj
I had a POC driving instructor some years ago who was a 'big guy'. Now I'm around 5'9" 175lbs and my car is set up for me with a full 10pt cage and tight non-adjustable race seats...It was comical watching the guy get in and out of the car. His body barely fit between the seat bolsters so he was practically sitting on top of them. The car was noticeably slower too. But we pulled it off!
NeunEinVier
Boom.
cal44
You are too big to fit when you are too big for your britches.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.