Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: show me your rack(s)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
i've seen some 914's with a rack on their rear trunk. i want to take mine on vacation later this summer and i need options.

i have a yakima that, when rotated 90°with some minor modifications, would potentially clamp on nicely. otherwise an mg style chrome rack?
any experience/advice?
thanks in advance!
ArtechnikA
Factory Accessories List Thread

in there you'll see the AMCO rack offered through the VWoA dealer network (VWoA was the original importer of the cars into North America). i doubt many are available NOS anywhere but they do turn up used from time to time.

i personally think they look dorky but i'll admit their potential utility. i'd get a spare decklid to mount only when it was actually needed; decent decklids are available for not-a-lot especially if you're close enough to shlep it yourself (they will fit nicely into a VW Rabbit GTI and 924 - done it with both...
iamchappy
For those interested Yakama makes a nice roof rack for the 914, I have one, and personally tested it at 110 mph with a windsurfer attached.
I have two roofs one without, and one with the rack on it and for quick loading.
lotus_65
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 30 2005, 10:39 AM)
...in there you'll see the AMCO rack offered through the VWoA dealer network...

i personally think they look dorky but i'll admit their potential utility...

thanks, yea i agree that AMCO looks silly. i think it'll be cool to modify the yak for the back. i don't want to plop a bunch of gear on the top (i'll be topless whenever possible).

the angle is a bit rakish, so i'll try to modify the towers to level it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.