Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
For those of you using the oil filter sandwich adapter like I do, this may be of interest. On a run through the twistys outside of town a few days ago, a horrendous oil leak occurred and I ended up losing about 2 quarts of oil. Needles to say a HUGE amount of smoke. Dragged it home, put it on the lift, started it up and lots of oil coming from the sandwich adapter. After pulling the filter off, I found I could push up on the adapter about 1/8 of an inch. The nut was finger loose. Not good. At least I found the leak. I'm hoping all I need to do is tighten the adapter nut and I'm good. If you use one of these adapters, you might want to check the torque on the nut that holds the adapter secure during the next oil change. I know I will. laugh.gif Now I need to find how much torque to use on the nut. confused24.gif
michael7810
Good tip. Glad it happened close to home versus in the middle of nowhere on the way to Route 66. Thanks
Krieger
Well, at least it's an easy fix. I make sure mine is snug after I remove the filter during each oil change.
Porschef
Thanks for the tip, I was just contemplating an oil change...

Then I looked at the outside thermometer and saw it's 8 degrees dry.gif

Maybe in April

Gotta be a torque value out there. Glad you caught that beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
Backing off a bit each filter change.
Clean it all up 100% and put a couple drops of loctite on the bolt to console. Not the filter of course.
914-300Hemi
Great tip. I haven’t checked mine since I installed it.
I will now on the next oil change.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 1 2018, 06:56 AM) *

Backing off a bit each filter change.
Clean it all up 100% and put a couple drops of loctite on the bolt to console. Not the filter of course.

agree.gif
Steve
I ran one in the late 70’s and early 80’s with a big 4. Mine was also on with loctite. It never came loose.
bdstone914
I worked at Hayden for 27 years where we sold that type of sandwich adapter. There is no torque spec. Over tightening is a bad in that you can pull the steel nipple out of the aluminum housing. Saw that several time when owners wrenched down on the 22mm nut. the nut for the adapter should take the same torque as the oil filter which is 3/4 more than hand tight. If you want a torque value install an oil filter and measure the torque to remove it. Mark is right in that the nut probably loosened over the course of several oil changes. Locktite should do the trick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.