Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine mount bar question...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BuddyV
I installed a new motor in my 914...... new motor is a side shift engine mount bar.

I "thought" that I had the correct bolts ready to attach the bar.... but they were not long enough. Local hardware store had bolts just long enough to get the bar installed temporarily....... but I need to source the correct specs.

Length and specs, please.

Thank you!
mihai914
Stock bolts are M10 x 85, so 85 mm long.
BuddyV
85mm..... seems short.

Are the tail shift and side shift the same size???
mihai914
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Jan 1 2018, 03:47 PM) *

85mm..... seems short.

Are the tail shift and side shift the same size???

I never owned a tail shift but from what I recall they are pretty different in the setup. A tail shift has the motor mounts where the bar attaches to the body and they kind of look like transmission mounts on 914s.

The side shift mount bar is 60 mm thick where the bolt goes through, washers and mounting plate add up to 6-7 mm max and the nut is 10 mm thick. So the bolt is just about right.

Here are some pictures.
mihai914
Other picture
ejm
Do you have the correct mounts on the body for use with the side shift engine mount bar? If you're using the rubber mounts for a tail shifter bar short bolts is only one of the problems.
BuddyV
Thank you for all of your info....... yes, I still have the tail shift parts!

I have never had a side shift car, so I missed this difference.

OK........ what parts do I need to source to convert my mounting points to tail shift?

..... love it when it all starts making sense.

drunk.gif
phatnine11
Buddy V,
Give Bruce Stone a call. He will supply everything you need. Also, do you have a side shift shifter/rod setup? Everything needs to be changed out from the shifter inside the cab to connections on the tranny. This would be a good time to replace the shifter bushing at the firewall while you're in there.
You'll enjoy the sidshift setup!
Cesar
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.