Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some help on a car - looks like seller misrepresentation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning- first of all best wishes for a happy new year to everyone.

Seller described this car is having a "straight body" but when I just looked at it more carefully this appears to have been an accident and had a poor rear clip replacement. Rear trunk floor is dimpled. Missing jack receivers too.

Could I ask that more experienced 914 owners take a look and let me know what you think?

I have not bought this car yet, I struck a deal on it based upon seller being a fellow Porsche guy...

Tdskip
Rear trunk floor, buckled
Tdskip
This doesn't look like a factory seam to me, is it?
Tdskip
Maybe an impact tear?

Tdskip
Passenger side
Tdskip
Rear join
Tdskip
Looking into the sill
Tdskip
Driver side
mepstein
That car is very rough.
People can be very nice and well meaning but get it totally wrong when they are selling a car. You need to buy based on facts, not emotion.

It’s also very rusty based on the pictures you have shown. I hope you’re not paying more than $1k. You’re in CA. I’m surprised you would even look at that car.
Tdskip
Just did some more research and it looks like from the factory there is no vertical seam in that area, which appears to confirm that the rear clip been replaced.

defianty
I agree with mepstein, very rough.

Also from those shots you can see both jacking points are missing. More than likely rotted away.

Unless you were looking for a big project, walk away.

Edit: I see you noticed the jacking points.
mountainroads
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 1 2018, 11:45 AM) *

Driver side

Happy New Year to you too! I'm no body expert, but that amount of rust would scare me even without the questionable repair history. You can bet there's more you haven't seen or found, yet. Sadly, "fellow Porsche guy" means nothing.

I guess it depends on the asking price and how badly do you want this project. The hole gets very deep, very quickly. Personally, I would walk away from anything that set off alarm bells unless I had the time and skills to do most of the work myself. Even then...

- MR
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 1 2018, 01:46 PM) *

That car is very rough.
People can be very nice and well meaning but get it totally wrong when they are selling a car. You need to buy based on facts, not emotion.

It’s also very rusty based on the pictures you have shown. I hope you’re not paying more than $1k. You’re in CA. I’m surprised you would even look at that car.

Thank you for the fast response. I was not paying a lot but significantly more than $1k. I had not inspected it in person until just now since it was 500 miles away. I had been going on what turns out to be selective pictures from the seller and his in depth assurances on the car being straight.

Was a Colorado car, have had good luck in the past buying from there but not this time.

Thank you again for the thoughts.
Tdskip
Thank you Stephen and MR.
914Sixer
Keep looking and DO NOT be in any hurry to buy. Wait for the right car.!
brant
Not sure what your goals, skill level, or knowledge level is with 914’s

But it’s n general any car that has a rust hole (or possibly even a rust bubble) is going to have significantly more rust not showing and may not be cost effective to fix

If your. Great welder and great painter. Already own all of the equipment and have lots of free time you can change the decision point. But the average guy doesn’t want to spend 7-10K on a 12K car after the purchase price

Rust is still the most significantly expensive and important quality in a 914. Over year and model
mepstein
This might be higher than what you want to pay but would be a great car to start driving it nstead of fixing.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=320289&hl=
toolguy
I wouldn't consider that car for anything but parts. . it would be a heady drain on anyones wallet and probably never be completely fixed without a rotisserie restoration. .
You'll come across much better candidates if you take the time to become educated and look a little longer. . . . original price should be the least of your concerns if you want a fun and sound 914.

Tdskip
Good advise all, thank you for the feedback/considerations.

I like project card but I thought I was buying a scruffy but solid car needing a rolling refresh and all the normal items. That is fun, those rust issues not so much.

Let me take a look a the black car, looks fairly sorted. Thanks for the link.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.