Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct Install of Basket Weave on Glove Box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Fitton
What is the correct way to install the dash material on the bottom edge of the glove box door? Wrap around the face plate on 2 sides and bottom or does the bottom edge get wrap around to the inside of the door?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
cal44
Right or wrong, I wrapped the bottom last week on a glove box door.
I don't like leaving loose ends.
Rob-O
Inside of the door. Top edge is just flush with the metal panel that the vinyl adheres to. Sides are tucked under the metal panel. Going off memory on the sides, so not 100% positive about that. But top and bottom are accurate.
defianty
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jan 4 2018, 06:27 PM) *

Sides are tucked under the metal panel.

I'm sure that's correct. Only did mine a few months ago.
GeorgeRud
I seem to remember you’ve got it correct as the edges are hidden with them wrapped (except for the top edge of the vinyl).
drem914
How does the door get removed?
bbrock
QUOTE(defianty @ Jan 4 2018, 01:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jan 4 2018, 06:27 PM) *

Sides are tucked under the metal panel.

I'm sure that's correct. Only did mine a few months ago.

agree.gif Did mine recently too and paid very close attention to how it was originally attached. Exactly like you describe, no loose edges.
bbrock
QUOTE(drem914 @ Mar 21 2019, 07:18 PM) *

How does the door get removed?

Detach the springs on the outside of the glove box on each side (that's the fun part), then from inside the box, unscrew the two chromed pivot bolts using a nickle or penny. I cheated on the springs on mine and did it with the whole dash frame out of the car.
76-914
That panel will remove then you can easily wrap those 3 sides around. It is attached by a foam piece that has adhesive on both sides. It will tear but don't worry. The wrap around is a thin strip so it helps if you can compress those areas while the glue sets. Then reattach the covered metal plate to the glove box door with some silicone. beerchug.gif
porschetub
don't have a clue on this mine is pretty sad ,have the material but not sure myself confused24.gif
IronHillRestorations
Tuck all the edges. Make sure all the old glue is removed before you put new on, or it won't stick. Well it will stick, until it gets nice and hot in the car and then it will start coming off
dr914@autoatlanta.com
always around the bottom of the door

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jan 1 2018, 03:00 PM) *

What is the correct way to install the dash material on the bottom edge of the glove box door? Wrap around the face plate on 2 sides and bottom or does the bottom edge get wrap around to the inside of the door?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
bbrock
You can also use double-sided tape to reattach the metal panel. The foam referenced earlier was double-sided foam tape. You can get something close, if not exactly like it on ebay but I just used thin, but heavy duty carpet tape. Worked great and no clamping or waiting for adhesive to set.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.