Saw this on Ebay today.
Not affiliated in any way.

Interesting and clean way to mount 3 gauges if
1) you don't have the under dash console like some
2) you don't mind losing your radio

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-dash-3...SdR&vxp=mtr

Click to view attachment
mepstein
I like it. I imagine most of what I would listen to in my car would be over my phone.
GregAmy
914 Rubber sells a radio delete plate, with basket weave, for $25. Buy a hole saw and you'll have money left over.

http://shop.914rubber.com/Radio-plates-for...m?categoryId=-1
yeahmag
Click to view attachment

I use it, but it’s hard to see the gauges for sure.
porschetub
Personally I feel that puts the gauges to far away from "line of sight" there is room @ both sides of the steering column,the PO of my car put the fuel gauge right hand side of the steering wheel and I fitted a voltage gauge on the other side.
I think its a good solution if you don't have a centre console which many say can be a PITA
I want to keep my radio for news and weather forecast more than anything else because I have a rather loud 6 cyl behind me lol-2.gif lol-2.gif .
Larmo63
Or.....I have no need for a clock or an amp gauge

Click to view attachment
BENBRO02
I thought I saw either a modified guage or maybe a 911 guage that has 3 or 4 guages all in one that would fit by the steering wheel. Does anyone have a link for that?
mgp4591
I think you could slightly modify an A pillar pod and bolt it in place of your radio.... it would angle the gauges to your line of sight.
Unobtanium-inc
None of my Porsches have working radios, and one doesn't have a space for one, the music of the motor is all I need.
mepstein
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Jan 2 2018, 12:02 AM) *

I thought I saw either a modified guage or maybe a 911 guage that has 3 or 4 guages all in one that would fit by the steering wheel. Does anyone have a link for that?

Custom triple gauge
Cracker
"Line of sight"...LOL. What difference does it make in these apparent street oriented cars? The stock dash is highly insufficient if you are driving quickly on a track - and the limited feeback a stock dash can provide. The saving grace of most 914's is they're so damn slow - reading gauges while moving is a non-issue. Multi-gauges look good but are also short of being a real answer (for a fast car or driver). The best "performance" answer would be an electronic screen/dash...programmable warning lights and custom views that are all contained in one place.

Mike - Really? An A-pillar pod like a ricer...c'mon man! NO, please!

Tony
914forme
Cut it out of ABS, they make angle kits out of ABS to mount the gauges in done. Only thing I would ever want over there was a fuel gauge. Had it setup that way in my auto-x car.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 2 2018, 10:33 AM) *

"Line of sight"...LOL. What difference does it make in these apparent street oriented cars? The stock dash is highly insufficient if you are driving quickly on a track - and the limited feeback a stock dash can provide. The saving grace of most 914's is they're so damn slow - reading gauges while moving is a non-issue. Multi-gauges look good but are also short of being a real answer (for a fast car or driver). The best "performance" answer would be an electronic screen/dash...programmable warning lights and custom views that are all contained in one place.

Tony

Like this?
biggrin.gif
GeorgeRud
As no one really smokes in their 914s(Ihope), I figured i’d Use that spot to mount some VDO gauges in mine.Click to view attachment
GregAmy
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 2 2018, 10:33 AM) *

I'm a minimalist guy. I don't want to know what the numbers are, I only want to know when something is "wrong". Toward that end, I removed the center console and its gauges, changed to the oil temp-embedded left gauge, and then ensured all my idiot lights were working fine.

For the race car I'm removing the Stack 8130 head (anyone want to buy?) and reinstalling the stock tach in the center. Then I'm getting a race Technology DASH1 to give me basic display and warnings (I already have a DL1 hidden back there for data acq). Don't bother me unless something is "wrong".

IPB Image

If you really want to geek out you can read a treatise I did some years ago on the airplane panel...

http://www.gatm.org/flying/minimalist.html

"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
daytona
I like how GeorgeRud added the gauges. I may try to do something similar and add something to angle the gauges towards the driver in my conversion.
Bill.
Cracker
Mark - I wrestled with a digital dash and again, from a performance viewpoint - it the only way to go. From data-logging to programmable warning lights - there is a reason every serious race car has gone in this direction. Gone are the days that a dash has a tach and 2" warning indicators like a 917 - not in a fast car. Whatever is done, it is not a good idea (from a performance perspective) to pull a drivers attention/eyes down away from the road/windshield (peripherally).

For my display, I ended up wanting a custom unit with improved sigh (closer to the driver as well), with largely an analog interface for a classic aesthetic vibe . My car however, is as much hot-rod as it is race car. If it WERE an all-out race car - it would be digital all day long. The large AIM dash is what I ordered mid-project and then returned due to the whole classic feel direction. It would have been cheaper to stick with the AIM dash...

Ultimately, my inspiration came from a Ferrari Dino (priceless of course) but I wanted to improve on the "sight line" within the steering wheel. I also opted to forego a tach - since it is unnecessary with a programmable shift light. Unorthodox? Maybe.

Tony

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
Here's what I did.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Above the steering wheel: CHT and boost
On the horizontal bar: air/ fuel ratioClick to view attachment
SKL1
Did this on my '71 a LONG time ago- don't know if VDO still makes the mount. The temp fits in the dash just fine. Nothing is there anyway...Click to view attachment
Rand
I like using that space. Bye bye ash tray, shave it to a smooth surface rather than make it look like you substituted something. Sort your gauges, most important to the left first. Kinda like what Gary did, but clock first? No. You are way past originality. Lose the stupid clock. Head temp, oil temp, oil pressure matter. You can ask your phone if you need to know what time it is. (No offense intended, just could't not snark on the clock.)
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 2 2018, 08:31 PM) *

I like using that space. Bye bye ash tray, shave it to a smooth surface rather than make it look like you substituted something. Sort your gauges, most important to the left first. Kinda like what Gary did, but clock first? No. You are way past originality. Lose the stupid clock. Head temp, oil temp, oil pressure matter. You can ask your phone if you need to know what time it is. (No offense intended, just could't not snark on the clock.)

Clock is rally timer... biggrin.gif
Rand
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 2 2018, 10:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 2 2018, 08:31 PM) *

Clock is rally timer... biggrin.gif

Art of the state.
tongue.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 2 2018, 08:33 AM) *

Tony

IN THE DASH Tony, not on the pillar...shades.gif
And granted, line of sight wasn't correct. They'd be angled toward you rather than a flat panel on the dash face. And give me a little break - I think I posted that around 11:30 or so. This new work schedule has been, uh, interesting.... blink.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 2 2018, 09:33 AM) *

Tony

confused24.gif When I had my 70 I had an A-pillar pod setup and really liked it. I didn't want a console or anything mounted under the dash. I had a working radio, and yes I used it, also an oil temp and pressure gauges. I didn't have to spend money on a custom gauge.
johnhora
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 2 2018, 06:47 AM) *

None of my Porsches have working radios, and one doesn't have a space for one, the music of the motor is all I need.

agree.gif

Precisely....never understood why I would need a radio...just extra weight driving.gif

Seems like at one time there was a radio gauge mount that had the gauges at an angle towards the driver....or was that just the under the dash type....
Sorry been listening to too much engine music biggrin.gif
yeahmag
Who is making the quad gauges these days?
914forme
:confused:No Idea confused24.gif Who? happy11.gif

It is on my list after the revised version of the 904 goes out. An Easier to build version of the 904. Latter style connectors a factory looking front that mounts like the factory, and a much better looking face. Customizable for various configurations and gauges. Gone away from silkscreening to using current technologies, that where not available when I first did them back in the 90s.

Backing plate teaser of the prototype run. The triple pulled from my fathers 914-6.

Click to view attachment

The Quad will take a bit more work, as I have some of the spacing a bit off. It worked in my CAD cardboard aided design. But transferred to metal it is not going as well. I have some work to do with steppers and I would love to move towards current steepers instead of the old VDO units. Yet the old VDO units are readily available, easy to install for a DIYer, and can be used in many configurations. Wiring and sensors are publicly available also.

First new set will be going into a special build I am so glad to be helping out on. And after these get done, I have a different unit up my sleeve that all ready has a waiting list for them also.

I guess I could do like Mark, Ben, and, Spoke and post a GB. We will do that once the pieces get cut, and the finalities are done.

Not sure why I like doing gauge work, it has never paid off in the past, and sometimes has brought me huge amounts of pain and anguish. headbang.gif
JmuRiz
Good to know...after what 2 years I finally got my donor gauges so I can send one off to you.

Quad is really cool, but not sure I REALLY need a volt meter to go with gas, oil temp, oil pressure.
Cracker
I am sure Stephen can do a better job but I had Hollywood Speedometer rebuild my first car's gauges. Although I wouldn't choose the white background today - they did a fine job and worked as expected. There are options out there....

Tony

Click to view attachment
BENBRO02
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2018, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Jan 2 2018, 12:02 AM) *

Custom triple gauge

I like that custom guage.
Cracker
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Jan 3 2018, 11:40 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2018, 10:26 AM) *

Custom triple gauge

I like that custom guage.

agree.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 3 2018, 03:20 PM) *

:confused:No Idea confused24.gif Who? happy11.gif

It is on my list after the revised version of the 904 goes out. An Easier to build version of the 904. Latter style connectors a factory looking front that mounts like the factory, and a much better looking face. Customizable for various configurations and gauges. Gone away from silkscreening to using current technologies, that where not available when I first did them back in the 90s.

Backing plate teaser of the prototype run. The triple pulled from my fathers 914-6.

The Quad will take a bit more work, as I have some of the spacing a bit off. It worked in my CAD cardboard aided design. But transferred to metal it is not going as well. I have some work to do with steppers and I would love to move towards current steepers instead of the old VDO units. Yet the old VDO units are readily available, easy to install for a DIYer, and can be used in many configurations. Wiring and sensors are publicly available also.

First new set will be going into a special build I am so glad to be helping out on. And after these get done, I have a different unit up my sleeve that all ready has a waiting list for them also.

I guess I could do like Mark, Ben, and, Spoke and post a GB. We will do that once the pieces get cut, and the finalities are done.

Not sure why I like doing gauge work, it has never paid off in the past, and sometimes has brought me huge amounts of pain and anguish. headbang.gif

Well I sure do appreciate all the innovation and hard work everyone on this board contributes to these cars. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.