Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: K n N Filter Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drew365
I bought two new KnN filter elements. Someone told me today that you need to oil them. I can't believe that a brand new filter wouldn't come oiled. There is nothing in the pamphlet or on the box that says to oil a new filter, just how to clean them and reoil them as maintanence. Does anyone know if I need to oil the new element?
Rog914
I've gotten a K&N air filter for my other car (PT Cruiser) and it was pre-oiled, you could tell from the plastic wrapper it came in (an oily film in it). If you can't tell if it's been pre-oiled it would'nt hurt to put a light coat on just to make sure.

Ralph

P.S. Is that your car in the avatar? Is it a BBR steel or FG Slant kit or a Chalon kit.
drew365
That's my car. It's a FG Chalon kit. I put the FG hood and trunk lids on for the track. I have a paint job planned for the near future I hope.
campbellcj
I'm "fairly" sure they come pre-oiled. The K&N oil is pink; kind of a pepto-bismol color so if the gauze is that color then they must've been oiled cuz it probably started out white wink.gif

I have a few cans of extra K&N oil and cleaner if you want it. I've switched to ITG's on the new car/engine and they specify a different oil.
Brad Roberts
Chris nailed it.

The filters will be pail white if they are not oiled.. otherwise they are redish/pink when oiled.

Its gauze sandwhiched between wire mesh.

B
ninefourteener
Speaking of K&Ns...... I need to buy a set. I have a typical dual-Weber setup, with the ovular shaped filters. Maybe 6 long, 4 wide, and 3 or 4 high (APPROX).

Anyone know the part #s on those so I can get the correct one??
drew365
The new filters came out of a sealed baggie and they are white. No reddish tint at all. I guess I'm going to oil them but I find it hard to believe they sell them unoiled and don't put a big warning sticker on the baggie or something.
Brad Roberts
nine,

The whole idea behind K+N air cleaners is that you can wash/clean them and re-oil them. Why would you replace them (unless they are damaged) ??

B
drew365
When my clutch exploded recently the filters were encased with debri. It had pulverized and was like grey fur. Being overly obsessive I replaced the filters and bought a maintenance kit.
I'm not sure if my neighbors missing cat was grey or not. Probably don't want to know. ohmy.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 9 2003, 07:09 AM)
nine,

The whole idea behind K+N air cleaners is that you can wash/clean them and re-oil them. Why would you replace them (unless they are damaged) ??

B

Thats just it....... it's got some paper crap filters in there now.... and they are BLACK.

Rather than buy a couple of FRAMs or something, I'd rather just do it right, but I have no idea what the part # is on hte correct ones.

Anyone? Anyone??
Brad Roberts
Do you have a digital camera ?? There is no "part number" per se.

CB performance sells them for Webers and Dell's.. but you have to know what base plates you have.

When K+N's are really dirty... they are BLACK.

Shoot a decent close up pic and I will tell you what you have.

Service with a smile (and a swift kick in the ass..LOL)

B happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.