Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COA - Transmission Number
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fishgeckos
Hi I recently bought my 914 (photo attached for those curious - '73 2.0L) and I now want to obtain the Certificate of Authenticity for it. I located the Engine Number required for the Certificate Application, but I need help locating the Transmission Number required for it. Any suggestions? I don't (yet) have a car lift, so maybe that is part of my problem. Thanks.

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Look along the centerline of the trans at the bottom.

--DD
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 2 2018, 08:47 AM) *

Look along the centerline of the trans at the bottom.

--DD

agree.gif

It will look something like this:

Click to view attachment
bbrock
On a four cylinder, it is slightly more cryptic but in the same place. You can see a pic here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2518057
iankarr
FWIW, the trans number is often listed as "Information Not Available" on the COA. I'm told you can ask Porsche to add the info, but haven't done that myself.
Shadowfax
They wouldn’t add it on mine. Something about the record keeping not being so good with respect to the trans numbers.
fishgeckos
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jan 2 2018, 11:30 AM) *

FWIW, the trans number is often listed as "Information Not Available" on the COA. I'm told you can ask Porsche to add the info, but haven't done that myself.

Were you able to obtain the COA without the Transmission Number? The COA application form indicates that the inclusion of the Transmission Number is a requirement for the issuance of the COA.
iankarr
Yes. I called Porsche and ordered it over the phone. All I provided was the VIN and engine number. And my credit card.
DRPHIL914
welcome.png
very nice looking car,! first 941 for you? btw nice looking 928 in the back ground!.

you can get some ramps to drive on to , back on to them and will give you enough height to get under there a see whats up- also enough to work on motor or oil change etc.

Phil
Dave_Darling
The requirements for ordering a COA have changed over the years. You didn't used to have to provide anything other than the VIN and possibly some kind of proof of ownership. Then they started requiring the engine number, and if you didn't provide one they would leave that section of the COA blank. Sounds like they may be doing the same with the trans number now too.

I'm guessing that they want to keep people from re-stamping other parts, or some such. So they'll tell you if the number you have is correct, but won't tell you the right number if you don't know it already.

--DD
Shadowfax
double post - my bad
Shadowfax
I provided them with the original transmission number and this is what I got. This one is from Porsche N.A.’s updated form. The form does state that engine and trans numbers are required to obtain a CoA for cars built before 1979. I called first to obtain verbal confirmation on the engine before ordering.

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Has any member here ever received a transmission number on a 4 cyl. COA ?.....
... for that matter anyone ever received one with a 6 cyl. COA ?
JeffBowlsby
Sure.
rgalla9146
..........just as I suspected !!!!! pray.gif

Thank you Dave.
Dave_Darling
You mean Jeff. I understand how you can get confused, but Jeff is a lot better-looking than I am. wink.gif

--DD
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 2 2018, 11:13 PM) *

You mean Jeff. I understand how you can get confused, but Jeff is a lot better-looking than I am. wink.gif

--DD

DOOOH !

Thank you Jeff !

You're both brimming with info.
fishgeckos
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jan 2 2018, 12:53 PM) *

welcome.png
very nice looking car,! first 941 for you? btw nice looking 928 in the back ground!.

you can get some ramps to drive on to , back on to them and will give you enough height to get under there a see whats up- also enough to work on motor or oil change etc.

Phil

Thanks for the suggestion- I will get some nice ramps. This is my first 914 - love it so far. I've always wanted one - driving it is not disappointing at all!
mepstein
QUOTE(fishgeckos @ Jan 3 2018, 09:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jan 2 2018, 12:53 PM) *

welcome.png

Phil

Thanks for the suggestion- I will get some nice ramps. This is my first 914 - love it so far. I've always wanted one - driving it is not disappointing at all!

A jack and a jack stand will let you get under the car to look at the trans. Throw a piece of cardboard on the ground and slide under on your back. Might need a rag with some solvent on it if the numbers are dirty. 5 minute job.
fixer34
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 2 2018, 07:14 PM) *

Has any member here ever received a transmission number on a 4 cyl. COA ?.....
... for that matter anyone ever received one with a 6 cyl. COA ?

Actually,yes. Ordered the COA for my -6 in April 2016. If I recall, the application at that time only asked for VIN.
I sent along a small note listing every number I could find on the car.
Mine came back with both engine and trans numbers listed. It does not have the 'matching numbers' note.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.