Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New wheels and tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
So my rims finally came in. 15 x 8 silver powder coated. Put the 205/50-15 A compound Hoosiers on them.

Only to realize the 4 1/2" back space ain't exactly perfect for the rear. Had to massively massage the rear fenders. ala. ULF before JP did his transformation to Sol.

Fronts fit great. Man this thing looks mean as hell. Going to name it "redneck racer"

Pics to follow when I finish beating out the fenders and get them a little smoother. Right now they clear and that's it.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ May 30 2005, 08:31 AM)
"

Pics to follow when I finish beating out the fenders and get them a little smoother. Right now they clear and that's it.

Heh.... By the time you get done hammering them fenders, you won't be able to type laugh.gif

I looked seriously at the Diamond racing wheels. How much do yours weigh?
Joe Ricard
19lbs. @ $79.00 ea. Just can't cough up the money for 3 piece wheels like yours. Oh how I love them. actually almost had authorization form the boss but... well you know. She thought it was 400 for the set. not each.
J P Stein
Hay, those are a good lookin' wheel & the weight ain't bad.
I'm told that my wheels new were 650 a pop.....No way I could pay that....1k used was bad enuff....but a gud pair of slicks came with em'.

Since you're hammering, you may as well make room for 225 tiars....tain't much more wurk and you'll wanna go there eventually biggrin.gif
SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 30 2005, 10:08 AM)
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Yea yea yea, I got your pictures. I was racing the rain yesterday. Just barely got it all put away before the sky opened up. ohmy.gif

JP I know what you are saying about 225 tiars. Got to go get a real metal shaping hammer/dolly tonight. 2lb sledge and ball peen just don't leave a nice smooth surface. Sure can get metal moving though. smash.gif
ChrisReale
I agree with JP, you are going to want to go 225 wide tires, especially with the 8" width. Make enuff room for them and save yourself work in the future....it's in your destiny biggrin.gif
redshift
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ May 30 2005, 01:42 PM)
She thought it was 400 for the set. not each.

It is! It is!~

wink.gif

M
grantsfo
So you got them to fit? Wow 8" wheels under "stock fenders" I opted to stay with 7" width and 5 " backspacing. I'm hoping I wont have to do much at all to the all ready rolled fenders on my car. I cant wait to get my wheels now! Just one more week and they should be here along with 205/50/15 Hoosiers too.

I had to go with light weight race wheels (10.85 lbs ea) as I'm using an underpowered stock 1.8 motor for the rest of the year. Your set up is certainly a hell of a lot cheaper! My "management "knows but wasnt thrilled when I let her know the price. I had to sell some of my Echo stuff to justify the expense.
Joe Ricard
wow 10.85 lbs each!!!!!
I should have gone to 5" back spacing too. but my mistake is way cheaper. Plus I get to beat on fenders for practice. Fronts fit great. So if someone wants a deal on two rims. just buy 4 rims with 5" back spacing and I'll trade and pay shipping.

Once I get this all figured out I will be abe to duplicate everything on the stripper.
Joe Ricard
No wonder them guys go faster look at all that rubber
Joe Ricard
Last one
ottox914
got any pics of the fender adventure, I'd like to see what all you have to go thru to make it all fit.
TravisNeff
If we are doing picture requests... I'd love to see the inner fender/tire clearance shots.

And if you had a 5" backspace wheel and 225 tiar - got enough room on the inside?

Of course that leads to how much fender pumping you'd have to do with such a beast.
Mueller
cool, cannot wait to see those puppies mounted....

I had a set of 8's with 225's with a 55mm offset (6"-ish BS), tires hit the trailing arm and the inside trunk wall....

fender lip had to be tweaked smash.gif
Joe Ricard
Check the weather channel it's pouring like a cow pissing on a flat rock. Teener stays in the other garage till this shit quits. Fenders look pretty rough. I knew I was going to hhave to go big when the paint started chipping away rolleyes.gif

4 1/2 inch back space leaves plenty of room on the inside. 3/4 to 1 inch. as you can see my car sits low.
J P Stein
With 225s on 7 X 15s (5 inch back space) &-2 camber, the tires hit the inner fender in the rear. A 7mm spacer took care of that......then I needed longer studs. OK, this is all simple stuff, right? With 10 X 16 & 10 inch slicks (same backspace & camber), I have clearance to the rear inner fender without the
spacer. Why?....cause the tire doesn't stick out past the inside edge of the wheel. I needed new rear fenders, of course, but that's not important now..... biggrin.gif

WAG at Joe's set-up (8 inch wheel, 4.5 backspace) is he won't have clearance issues to the inner fender, but the fender flaring is really going to be a challenge. Hammer, dolly and 15000 whacks biggrin.gif

Now lets look at the front end...
There was no way the 225s & 7s would work up front without flares. To check for clearance, ya gotta mount the wheel/tire , disconnect the sway & T bars and compress the suspension to the bump stops......then turn the wheels lock to lock. At static height, it looked fine. Compressed, it wouldn't turn but about 5-10 deg.

On mine, not only did I have to flare, but also I reshaped the opening by moving it up .75 inch (ya can't hardly see it).....got an in progress pic somewhere.hammer/dolly & 10000 whacks per side wacko.gif
Joe Ricard
Crap that means I only got about 38000 more whacks to go before I'm done. I only have a budget of 10000 more whacks left in my little scrawny arms. dry.gif Guess I'l just have to drive it some more driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.