Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Tires for Stock Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nogoodwithusernames
Hey guys, I know there's lot's of tire posts on here already and I've not really read through them much.
If there is already a thread covering this please drop a link and it would be appreciated!

Anyways it's new tire time for the 914 but I'm not sure what size or brand of tires would be the best bang for the buck while still giving good grip and decent life.
Car is a stock d-jet 2.0L 1974 with rivieras. Only street driving, no auto-x or drag racing etc etc.

Cheers and happy New Years all! driving.gif beerchug.gif (safe driving habits to drive and then drink biggrin.gif )
Big Len
Here's some in size 195-65/15R - https://www.eurotire.com/performance-passen...sortOrder=brand
Coondog

The best tires are the ones you buy at America’s Tire. Free rotation, Balance and Road hazard. Plus you are out of there in a hour. Or you can go to Tire Rack. Get them shipped to your house take them to a installer and after all this it cost you a week of your life and you have the same tire. All because someone wanted to save 20 bucks....
Cal
There are a lot of possible tires available but IMO the Vredestein Sprint Classics are pretty darn good.....they have the vintage appearance, good grip, correct sizes and very reasonably priced. They offer the original tire size for your 2.0L in 165HR15 as well as the optional 185/70HR15 size. You can get them through tire rack...$118.00/tire for the 165 or $165.00/tire for the 185 size. There are better tires....Michelin XWX, Pirelli Cinturato CN36, etc. but those tires are expensive....starting at $250.00/tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...C&tab=Sizes
Larmo63
I like my 205/60 15 Yokohamas......
Dave_Darling
I've read somewhere a very pithy expression:

"A tire is a series of compromises, in the shape of a donut."

Tires have lots of different characteristics, which usually can be traded off against each other in different ways. You need to figure out what is important to you, and research as well as you can with that in mind.

A few of the characteristics that come to mind:
- Dry grip
- Wet grip
- Hydroplaning resistance
- Cold-weather grip
- Grip in snow
- Noise
- Rolling resistance
- Durability
- Price
- Appearance
- Ride comfort

And there are, of course, the various sizes you can also get. The original size would have been 165R15 (165/80-15), while usually sizes up to 205 can fit on stock wheels under stock or slightly-tweaked fenders.

For the ultimate dry grip, the "R compound" competition tires are the way to go. But you'll replace them every year, they're expensive, they're jarring, they're super dangerous on snow (and often very poor in the wet), and pretty much mediocre or lousy in everything but dry grip.

For an "original driving" type experience, something like the Vredestien Sprint tires mentioned above in 165/80-15 should be pretty close.

Other tires work the compromises in other ways.

--DD
thelogo
Your running Rivera s

Sound like its time for new wheels and tires

My car was sold to me with riveras , an im not a big fan
Tires i have are touring and 195,65,15 and are pretty
Rock solid.

Look for some 4 bolt fuchs, makes a big difference
When combined with a good tire
914_7T3
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 2 2018, 05:46 PM) *

The best tires are the ones you buy at America’s Tire. Free rotation, Balance and Road hazard. Plus you are out of there in a hour. Or you can go to Tire Rack. Get them shipped to your house take them to a installer and after all this it cost you a week of your life and you have the same tire. All because someone wanted to save 20 bucks....

Take a look at these, great tire for the price:

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/gene...ax-rt43/p/18898

Nogoodwithusernames
So it seems like ***/65/15 is a fairly common size people are running, which is shorter than the original 80. How much of a difference does that make and in what ways? I would think lower speeds through the gears but maybe a bit more "uumph" when you hit the throttle?

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 2 2018, 09:27 PM) *

Your running Rivera s

Rock solid.

I'd really love a set of 4 bolt Mahles. Unfortunately, unless someone wants to give me a great deal on a set I can't really afford Fuchs or Mahles right now. There's some Pedrini's over on the samba right now though maybe I'll look into those.
thelogo
QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Jan 3 2018, 09:32 AM) *

So it seems like ***/65/15 is a fairly common size people are running, which is shorter than the original 80. How much of a difference does that make and in what ways? I would think lower speeds through the gears but maybe a bit more "uumph" when you hit the throttle?

Your running Rivera s

Rock solid.

I'd really love a set of 4 bolt Mahles. Unfortunately, unless someone wants to give me a great deal on a set I can't really afford Fuchs or Mahles right now. There's some Pedrini's over on the samba right now though maybe I'll look into those.

How about these

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/914-9...1-2-p20470.html
Mueller
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 3 2018, 09:41 AM) *

I'd stick with the Riveras before going to those wheels, 4.5" wide? No thanks.
Nogoodwithusernames
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 3 2018, 09:41 AM) *

Your running Rivera s

Rock solid.

How about these

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/914-9...1-2-p20470.html

I feel like if I'm going to get anything I'll get an upgrade from the rivieras and I don't really like the steel wheels on the 914. Just personal preference on that. But maybe these? A lot cheaper than any of the Mahle gas burners I've seen for sale. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=317183
Mueller
QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Jan 3 2018, 09:52 AM)

Those are nice and good price for 5 wheels.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 3 2018, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Jan 3 2018, 09:52 AM)

Those are nice and good price for 5 wheels.

They should clean up nicely too!

shades.gif
GeorgeRud
I’ve always used Tire Rack. They’ll drop ship the tires to your local installer (they have/had a list of recommended installers) and then you can go at your convenience. The service has always been great.
Mueller
I too will be in the market for new tires soon, picking up my new-to-me 15x7 wheels today to replace my 16x7 Phonedials (53mm offset so using 1" spacers front and rear that I don't like)

Looking at these 2:

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/kumh...sta-ast/p/33648

or

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/nitto-neo-gen/p/40306
914forme
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 3 2018, 03:38 PM) *

I too will be in the market for new tires soon, picking up my new-to-me 15x7 wheels today to replace my 16x7 Phonedials (53mm offset so using 1" spacers front and rear that I don't like)

Looking at these 2:

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/kumh...sta-ast/p/33648

or

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/nitto-neo-gen/p/40306

I personnel have hated the Kumho AST every time I have driven on them.

First car I had the on was a Nissan Sentra Spec V, car made enough power to be a handful with these tires, I sold the car before I changed tires. They sucked in the wet, and cold. Wet being any bit of water on the road. Think damp here, and cold think below 50 degrees. You could feel the co-efficent of friction change as you drove over various critical road items, like the painted stripe if you put your wheel on the line at the apex of the corner. Don't get me started on them if you happened to hit a fresh section of asphalt patch and some one spit out the window. They sucked to drive on, so bad. They some how ended up on my old A4 Jetta TDI, which put out a ton of torques. happy11.gif When it was damp with these tires I could be rolling up the highway at 65 put my foot down and spin the tires as long as I wanted, in 5th gear. I switched to General Altimax HPs for my none sport oriented daily drivers. My fathers Miate. And the G-Max AS-03s went on the Jetta, and my wife Miata. Love these tires, good wet performance, excellent dry performance, and had been caught in snow with them, and did not stop me at all.

My EG build I have a set of wheels with the Kumho ASTs on it. The plan is to mount them on the car, work out the tuning, then ROAST the LIVING ______ OUT OF THEM DOING DONUTS. I just want to see them go up in a cloud of white, all the way to the cords. The entire Time having the Ghetto Boys- Damn it feels good to be a gangsta play in the back ground on a loop of Dye M_____F___er Dye!

Yes I hate those tires that much.

Hope this review helps you choose Mike, no experience with the Nitto's heard good things. Might try them after I Roast those M____ F___'in ASTs
Dave_Darling

So it seems like ***/65/15 is a fairly common size people are running, which is shorter than the original 80. How much of a difference does that make and in what ways?

Remember that the /80 or the /65 is a percentage of the tire width figure. So 195/65-15 is pretty close in diameter to 165/80-15.

And also remember that all of these numbers are approximations to actual measurements. Sometimes very very loose approximations, depending on the tire make/model.

--DD
enf2232
I chose the Vredestein's. Purchased from Tires Unlimited in Dayton and had them shipped to a local tire shop for installation. Info shown from 3/16.Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Shipping 5 wheels with tires mounted is going to be very, very expensive. Esp cross country.
Nogoodwithusernames
Yes that would get spendy I would just buy the wheels and get new tires locally.

I was thinking these tires look decent and not too expensive. I don't think I want to go bigger than 195 since that will hopefully keep me from rubbing at all. Anyone have experience with these? The reviews seem good.
https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/yoko...envigor/p/43478
Dave_Darling
BTW, 195s may still foul on one rear fender lip or the other. It depends; every 914 is a little different. That can usually be solved by pulling the fender out slightly and/or flattening or trimming the fender lip.

I think that 195s on stock wheels will generally rub some on the inner front fender when the steering is at full lock, aft of the shock tower. It's not usually a big deal, because if you've got the wheel that far over you are usually going fairly slowly, but it is something to keep in mind.

--DD
poorsche914
Here are some Mahles on the Samba

driving.gif
72 IXXIV
QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Jan 5 2018, 11:40 AM) *

Yes that would get spendy I would just buy the wheels and get new tires locally.

I was thinking these tires look decent and not too expensive. I don't think I want to go bigger than 195 since that will hopefully keep me from rubbing at all. Anyone have experience with these? The reviews seem good.
https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/yoko...envigor/p/43478

I have these tires and I really like them. They are sticky but progressive. I've even driven them in the snow! Unfortunately the negative camber in the front of my car ate up the fronts in about 6k miles. But I'm not going to take the camber out just to save a $75 tire.

I find they feel the best at about 33psi all around. What pressures to other folks run?
72 IXXIV
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 5 2018, 03:22 PM) *

looks like the Sumitomos are the best rated tire in that size...and the cheapest...
thelogo
Humor me for a minute bucause you guys have been around and seen it all so

Putting price and stickness or grip aside for a moment

What tire will last the longest ?

I have continental rear and nitto front and they are at least 8 years
Old , came on the car so who knows

So what is the most durable tire ?
drifter914
Greetings... I just bought new tires for my 914, ended with happy results, so far !
I have the 15" Fuch alloy rims & want to keep them, so was limited to that size range, obviously. Finally decided on the Yokohama S-Drive 205/55 R 15, which is, surprisingly, made in USA !
It's an aggressive looking tire, business like in the spirited driving venue. A more modern low profile, which is better for cornering, but provides slightly less ground clearance. Has a high speed rating, temp & traction ratings also. Looks like it was made for the 914, in my opinion. However, being a 205, looks a bit pudgy on the 5.5 " Fuchs rim. Height is 23.5", mounted, not 24" that Discount tire claims.
Price is a moderate $95. per tire, plus the usual M&B fees, etc. Oh yes... tread width is 7.5 " So far, I like it.

Here's some pics of the occasion...Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=634
165]Click to view attachment
Nogoodwithusernames
I haven't found anything confirming this in my searching yet, but intuitively I would think the lug bolts for the Riviera alloys would be long enough to use with the Pedrini's I should be getting. Does anyone know for sure if that is the case?
aharder
I'm running with 195/60/15 Pirelli, Cinturato P3000
I've been very happy with these.
biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Jan 8 2018, 03:59 PM) *

I haven't found anything confirming this in my searching yet, but intuitively I would think the lug bolts for the Riviera alloys would be long enough to use with the Pedrini's I should be getting. Does anyone know for sure if that is the case?

It depends upon whether the PO used the longer alloy wheel bolts. If not, then Bruce Stone/bdstone &/or other members have sets of the alloy spec bolts.

You should also pull off one or all 4 of the Rivs to see if they are the 914 spec ET40 offset, or one of the VW spec offsets.

If not the 914 ET40, then you will have fitment problems (rubbing inner &/or outer fenders F &/or R) with anything but the OE spec 165HR15 (/80 profile), because the VW offsets push the tires/wheels in or out off the spec ET40.

For typical street pleasure & DD driving - especially in CA - the Vredstein Sprint Classic 165/80HR15 & the pricier period Michelin & Pirelli tires are fine.
IIRC Americas Tire & some other national/regional & local tire shops can order the Vreds for you.

For a bit more grip similar to the OEM "dog bone tread" Dunlop SP57 165HR15 (& period Semperit M401, M501), you might try out the Blockley tires from Lucas tires in Long Beach CA linked below.

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/165VR15-B...al-NOS-504p.htm
(I'm not seeing them new recent mfgr there now though, so call to ask)

For other 165/80HR15 (& VR) tires & the closest 185/70VR15 size:
http://www.lucasclassictires.com/165R15_c70.htm

As noted by others above, many 914s can't handle the 195/65HR15 size due to either rear fender rubbing, &/or rubbing on the front inner wheel wells on near-lock-to-lock turns (more so on 205s). Mine was one of those when I tried them back in the early 1980s, so I stuck with 165s.

The 185/70VR15 (or HR) are the closest tire up-size for minimal speedo/odometer error, & IIRC the 195/65R15 has an 8-10+% error. So if you use those or other different diameter tires, then you will end up with "ghost mileage" on your 914, which can negatively affect its value as higher mileage than actual.

You can use a tire size calculator to see the differences from the original 165/80R15 profile tires (the calculator in the 914 info section on here no longer works AFAIK).

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

Bottom line, pick what you like & fits your intended use, needs & budget.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Dougal Cawley
Hi

Can i suggest that the majority of replys to this post, have not been recomending the best tyre.

Could i suggest taking into consideration what Porsche say https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url...-ab-klassik.pdf and going for the CN36

Also here is a German report on the tyres https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url...sic-article.pdf

The car will not handle so well on modern tyre carcasses unless you heavily modify the car.
horizontally-opposed
Man, the pics above remind me just how much I love the look of 205/55R15 tires on a narrow-body 914. Ran a set of BFG Comp T/A3s for years in that size, and the car handled and rode beautifully. Looked great, too.

I've been through a lot of sets of tires in the last ten years trying to find the perfect tire in terms of handling, ride, and appearance (I've grown to like more sidewall, and have grown to hate busy/modern sidewall graphics) in that order. Vredesteins 185/70s had sweet steering response and rode well but were just too far a step back in terms of grip for me, and modern 195/65R15 Dunlop SP4000 (or were they 8000s) just didn't cut it. Currently on Avon CR6ZZ 185/70R15s, but while I love the clean sidewalls, they look a bit wimpy from an angle or behind the tire. More importantly, they have super stiff sidewalls as a tarmac rally/vintage racing tire, and I get the sense they don't come into their own until they're very hot—and I just don't drive my 914 the way I drive a GT3.

I'm back to the tire I probably should have gotten last time: The N2-spec Pirelli P6000 in 195/65R15. They are a modern summer tire that is factory tested and approved (now for a second time) and they look "old enough" to get away with. If I was going down the concours route, I might try the CN36s, but the 185/70s are too narrow while the 215/60s are too wide.

Oh for a great choice in 205/60 that looks period correct, but the only one I've seen is the BFG Radial T/A, and I wonder if they'd be any good on a sports car. Of course, they're probably leagues better than what these cars came on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.