Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk prop rod
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
daytona
Hi guys,
I removed the spring/torsion bars that keep open the trunk lid. I am now looking for a simple prop rod to install. Can anyone recommend one and vendor?
Purchased one that uses two shock absorbers and mounts that screw on to the trunk hinges and the trunk. Looks like a nice setup but I would prefer a something that does not require drilling so many holes.
Thanks,
Bill.
ConeDodger
I got carbon fiber rods for the front and rear from McMaster-Carr. Not too expensive either...
Rand
I picked up shocks from a rear SUV window at a pick-n-pull and had fun fabbing that up. Camp 914 has kits that are easy to install. But if you don't want to drill and just want props, they are easy to find online at a place like Rob suggested. If you want to get them in person, your local hobby or kite shop should have carbon tubes and hardware stores have dowels.
wndsrfr
Sawed off wooden broomstick...inexpensive, no holes to drill, lies flat on floor in rear of trunk....hard to beat.
JmuRiz
I’m guesing you went with an f-glass or cf lid? If not, why remove the stock bars?

The CF rid of wooden broom handle are the best bets. I have a test and front shock kits but don’t plan on running them after my front set failed over the years. Going back to stock
GeorgeRud
I used the plastic shaft of a driveway reflector I had laying around for the front hood of my 911. Was tired of banging my head. How ever, I used Camp91’s rear pressure shocks for the rear trunk on my 914 and they work wonderfully.
Dave_Darling
People have also used ski poles, possibly cut down.

--DD
JeffBowlsby
I know...

Put the stock T-bars back in....
VaccaRabite
After the shocks on my Camp kit died... I have used:
A golf club,
Pry bar,
Long screw driver,
2x4,
2x2,
1x3,
really any old chunk of lumber I happen to have laying around...

Zach
Rand
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 3 2018, 10:18 AM) *

After the shocks on my Camp kit died... I have used:
A golf club,
Pry bar,
Long screw driver,
2x4,
2x2,
1x3,
really any old chunk of lumber I happen to have laying around...

Zach

You should make a custom wood prop, ala shift knob style. wink.gif
BIGKAT_83
Umbrella then you always have one when you need it
7TPorsh
I cut the head off an old carbon golf club shaft...
daytona
Hi all, and thanks for all the advise and suggestions.
I removed the torsion bars because they were damaging the pivot points. I still have the stock steel hood so I thought that the shock kit from camp would be good. However, when I realized I had to drill a bunch of holes I changed my mind. I been thinking about a prop rod like what street rodders use. Maybe have to drill one hole to mount it to the car. Something simple that stows away easily. I can't see using a prop rod that is higher tech than the car.

Vacca Rabite, I like the idea of using a chunk of wood... if only I was driving a Morgan.

Thanks,
Bill.
sholman5
I have an old golf club shaft that you can have.

Chris
Rand
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Jan 3 2018, 03:11 PM) *

I have an old golf club shaft that you can have.

Chris

Not very often the idea of getting the shaft sounds so friendly.
biggrin.gif Nice gesture.
Elliot Cannon
This is an easy project and you can get pretty creative with it. Here's mine for my fiberglass hood. It was made with stuff I already had in the garage. biggrin.gif

daytona
Elliot, thanks for the idea. I think I know where to and how to install a prop rod for the rear trunk lid.
Thanks Sholman5, I might take you up open it. I guess I'll see you at the speedway this weekend.
Thanks guys.
Bill.
jmitro
this is what I'd like to do:
simple yet elegant
Elliot Cannon
I think I like that one better than mine. biggrin.gif Man, I got to quit f*ckin' around with this car and just DRIVE it. dry.gif laugh.gif
Maltese Falcon
Member here Sherwood goes by the user name screenguy914.
Or online search: Seine systems ultimate strut
Decent kit !
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 3 2018, 06:15 PM) *

This is an easy project and you can get pretty creative with it. Here's mine for my fiberglass hood. It was made with stuff I already had in the garage. biggrin.gif

Wondering why you carry dinamite as standard equipment blink.gif
mgp4591
Go to your local Pick n Pull, find a couple of Hondas or Toyotas and pull the hood prop rods and associated hardware out. Use some creativity, fit and install. Lightweight with no wear issues and pretty cheap.
mepstein
QUOTE(jmitro @ Jan 3 2018, 11:36 PM) *

this is what I'd like to do:
simple yet elegant

You take the prop rod, I'll take the gas tank. biggrin.gif
90quattrocoupe
Adjustable spring loaded window curtain rod with rubber cups at both ends.

Greg W.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.