Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could someone educate me in partial long replacement and fender alignment please?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
My 914 education continues as I look at more cars. I know 911/912 and 928 body structure reasonably well but not 914s, so was hoping to get schooled here.

To my eyes the door area, which is a common 911/912 rust spot is addressable if it doesn’t go too far under the plate.

Click to view attachment

Tdskip
Fender looks a bit pushed in, is that likely why the gap?

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Passenger side front long, inside apparently treated with POR15 or similar.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Rear under of passenger side

(Sorry these are upside down)

.Click to view attachment
cary
Picture #1. Kinda the same. On the 911 that rust hole comes from debris getting caught and jammed between the kidney bowl and jack point. 914 only has the jack point.
Picture #2. Looks bondo right under the turn lenses. Probably would need to take the bumper off to access the previous repairs.
Picture #3. That is someones attempt to try and weld up the rust damage caused by battery acid.

I would venture to guess you'll find some sheet metal patches under the battery tray. Which we affectionately call the Hell Hole. This is the usual starting point of the acid damage.
mepstein
Why buy such a rusty car in CA?
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2018, 09:31 PM) *

Hi, apparently they still rust out here just not as fast perhaps. Hell hole goes due to battery acid, so not a humidity thing.

That area has been patched already, but worth a hard look I think.

Thanks for the responses.

burton73
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2018, 07:31 PM) *

Yes, what are you looking for?
Tell us and maybe we can help.
There are cars in CA that are in pretty good shape as far as rust goes. We (California) are the capital of Porsches in the world.

Bob B welcome.png
Tdskip
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 2 2018, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2018, 07:31 PM) *

Yes, what are you looking for?
Tell us and maybe we can help.
There are cars in CA that are in pretty good shape as far as rust goes. We (California) are the capital of Porsches in the world.

Bob B welcome.png

Good question Bob, basically a drivable project that is more of a mechanical than body restoration oriented. I am most excited about going through the car and tailoring it to be exactly what I want for fast road touring events. (Think 1000 mile tours, or Canada to SoCal though Idaho and OR back into California. I use them).

I can weld reasonably well, but not looking to have to strip down another car. That door / pillar area is familiar having done that on my 911 but the other areas are new to me and I want to be realistic about fixing them properly.

I've looked hard a three cars, two had been hit and neither seller disclosed that. The blue car here is owned a a nice guy who is very straightforward to deal with and has been totally upfront about everything , so wanted to ask for some coaching here on how serious these areas are so I am giving him and the car a fair shake.

There are other areas, some of these have easier joins where I could let in new metal fairly easily.

Tdskip
Rear trunk

mihai914
The car looks more like a East Coast 914 than one from CA.

If you start digging in that kind of rust, it will be a while before you'll drive it again.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mihai914 @ Jan 2 2018, 11:07 PM) *

If you start digging in that kind of rust, it will be a while before you'll drive it again.

Bingo - and I will dig. Will likely drive me batty knowing it is deteriorating / not right, which defeats the whole idea of buying a drivable project.

Most expensive Porsche are the cheap ones...
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 3 2018, 12:14 AM) *

QUOTE(mihai914 @ Jan 2 2018, 11:07 PM) *

Bingo - and I will dig. Will likely drive me batty knowing it is deteriorating / not right, which defeats the whole idea of buying a drivable project.

Most expensive Porsche are the cheap ones...

It does look like an east coast car. I wouldn't even look twice if I lived in CA. Let your Cali neighbors find you a nice one.
preach
There are a couple that I would look at in the San Diego region. I am in no way affiliated with them but I was scoping out craigslist since I will be out there for a while this year.

Shipping the Cayman out there and driving it home again.
Nacho
Tdskip

What is the asking price? if its north of 8k I would be concerned! but if its in the 6k or lower it would interest me if its a running 914. You are always goin to find hell hole issues as this is a battery acid issue and if you find one that doesn't have this problem it was probably never really driven! and you might be looking at 10k+for a car like that.

As for previously hit damage these 914's have sometimes had so many PO that the current owner might not even be aware of the repair. My right front fender was previously cut and replaced with a donor cars green fender. The repair was done very well as I didn't noticed it during my walkthrough of the car. The fit and paint matched perfectly! I only found this out when I decided to add GT flares and started grinding and seen green paint.

As the saying goes " You get what you pay for" don't expect to spend 3k and drive in 1000 miles 914 driving tours! Anything below 6k is going to have some rust! As I work on mine I drop F bombs as to why Porsche used this stupid foam body filler that was supposed to keep the water out but did exactly the opposite! this stuff is what really did the rust damage unfortunately.

To me the best part of an old car is the journey we take to getting it to perfection! I have a 1971 SS Nova with an LS2 engine that I'm afraid to drive because I'm worried about messing it up! Sometimes the best cars to drive are the fugly one's.
Tbrown4x4
Your 2nd pic of the damaged driver's front corner is mostly the crappy 916 bumper fit.
mepstein
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Jan 3 2018, 05:03 AM) *

Your 2nd pic of the damaged driver's front corner is mostly the crappy 916 bumper fit.

Its been hit. Maybe more than once. the 916 bumper is often a cheap fix to replace a damaged front bumper. From the pics you've shown, its a $1K car. If you are going to pay $6K, I have a nicer one in my garage that I will sell you for $6K, including shipping.
Its been hit and it has rust issues but at least it looks pretty. biggrin.gif
Tdskip
Just a quick note to say thank you to everyone for the coaching and education.

Seller has decided to keep the car, and was not the right fit for me anyway.

Thanks!
ndfrigi
Ouch!!! $1k only?! huhuhu
Just for everybody’s sake, I used to own the car as a project and fixed the rear passenger suspension console. But after having 4 914s at the same time, a friend (member here) wanted to buy it from me while he is waiting for his 74 to finish. So I finished the suspension console then we installed back the 1.7 with megasquirt system. And it run on the same day. My friend who bought it drove it for few months until some knocking sound from the engine. He ended up bringing the engine to German Auto parts for rebuild. So after engine rebuilt, we installed back the megasquirt but we had a hard time tuning it until it was recommended to update the software of the megasquirt. But we were not informed to save the current program and lost everything. So my friend decided to install single carb temporarily just to make the car driveable. But now he has his 74 with 2056 newly rebuilt engine and acquired another 74 solid roller lately. So he is now planning to sell the 71. This 71 has a newly rebuilt engine and converted to side shift by previous owner before I owned it. I actually want to buy it back but I’m not financially capable right now.

few pics of it.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Those pictures are not quite current...

Right car for someone, just not me.

Best wishes to all.
Tdskip
More from yesterday
Tdskip
Both sides where the front trunk seal goes are similar and need to be replaced.

Just a FYI, seller was straight forward and a nice guy. I wish everyone well and that it finds the right home.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.