Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Non-GB Thread: New 914 wiring harnesses and more
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
This post is mostly for the folks that are new to 914s or new to our 914world.com community, as an introduction to let you know that I build new wiring harnesses for our 914s. I hang out here and contribute frequently, but want you to be sure to know I am around to help you with your wiring needs. Wiring harnesses are a critical part for any 40+ year old 914, especially the engine bay wiring which is subject to degradation from heat, fluid contamination, corrosion, and general PO hacking and abuse. Wiring harnesses are all about electrical system connectivity – without connectivity your 914 may leave you stranded or on jack stands. So be proactive – inspect your wiring harnesses regularly (or send them to me for a free inspection) and replace them when needed. Avoid hack repairs, low quality parts or workmanship – get the correct wiring harness for your 914.

It took several years of research to document and reverse engineer all the 914 wiring harnesses, and to develop the specialized tooling to build them - Fuel Injection, Ignition, Alternator, Wiper Delay and many other 914 harnesses – and I have built them for nearly 20 years now. I forensically evaluated how original harnesses failed. I use the highest quality, new OEM or improved quality components (yes even the elusive ECU wire terminal) and exceptional workmanship to build harnesses as least as good as the factory made them, which are improved where possible. To minimize costs, I selectively reuse some of the original hard plastic OEM parts where they are NLA and when the originals are serviceable. I have developed and make available to you each of the various configurations of 914 harnesses, and there are many - for each different 914 model year and engine size, both D-Jet (1.7L and 2.0L) and L-Jet (1.8L), and many harnesses are not interchangeable. I have built over 800 new harnesses for our 914s over the years, and the only harnesses I do not currently build is the main chassis harness (main cables). I also make wiring harnesses for other D-Jet/L-Jet cars including the 912E Porsche, Mercedes Benz, VW (aircooled) etc. if you have these cars also and need a wiring harness, please contact me with your needs.

Need an MPS? I also rebuild the MPS (Manifold Pressure Sensor) (1.7 and 2.0L D-Jet cars) with the new and excellent quality Tangerine Racing diaphragms, and calibrate them to factory specification.

Need a TPS calibration plug or the factory option Windshield Wiper Delay harness? I build them too.

As a long time 914 owner myself (my first 914 bought in 1978) I take great satisfaction in offering these harnesses to other 914 owners with a limited warranty, to keep our great little cars on the road and to keep the factory fuel injection alive. If I would not put it in my own 914, I won’t sell it to you for your 914. All the 914 fuel injection parts are available, there is no need to convert to carbs unless you just want to, in fact the trend I have seen lately is for 914 owners with carbs converting back to fuel injection because 914 factory fuel injection is GREAT and all the cool kids have it!

You can also rest assured that there is no huge profit margin in my pricing to be able to offer group buys or seasonal sales or discounts even to shops. That is because I have always done everything possible to keep my every day low pricing as affordable and as low as possible, and still provide a high-quality product that you can rely on. If you want the best quality wiring harness for your 914 you can buy them from me directly and I only sell directly from me to you, no middleman and no mark-up. The harnesses I build are not available from Pelican, from Sierra Madre, from Rock-Auto, from your FLAPS or any other supplier however I do sponsor giveaways from time to time for 914world-related events as a courtesy to our 914 community.

A few photos of some of the 914 harnesses I build are pictured below to give you an idea of what is available, along with my website link, which is also in my signature below each post on 914world. Let me know how I can help you:

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/

914Sixer
WORTH EVERY DOLLAR !! Building a new engine, include everything here in to the cost.
BeatNavy
Happy D-Jet wiring harness customer right here.
Cairo94507
Jeff is a valuable member of our community and a terrific guy. beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
one of the first things i bought 8 years ago to get my 914 that i bought not running was the d-jet FI harness-! thanks for helping make my 914 run!

Phil
cary
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jan 3 2018, 06:01 AM) *

Happy D-Jet wiring harness customer right here.

Ditto, my runs like a new car. Now if could only replace the imported round relays...............
shoguneagle
I remember the days when these products and services were not available! If I rewire my 914 for quality and dependability of my wiring, Jeff is the only way to go.

I wonder what it would be like to have new dependable wiring instead of 45 year old wiring???? beerchug.gif beer.gif
Dave_Darling
Another happy customer here. I'm not sure how Jeff calls his harnesses "rebuilt" when they're about 98% brand-new stuff, and IMHO better than the cars were built with originally...

The only problems I have seen are that some of the rubber "boots" on the D-jet harnesses do not look completely identical to those that were originally on the car. The new ones work better, but they look a bit different. That might be important for people looking for concours points, but I think most of us would rather have the parts that work better...

--DD
restore2seater
I have built over 800 new harnesses for our 914s over the years, and the only harnesses I do not currently build is the main chassis harness (main cables).

Jeff, what's the reason for not doing main harnesses? Does it have to do with too many variations throughout the years? Any possibility you will be doing them in the future?
914Sixer
Kroon in Holland is building complete harness. Not cheap. Very labor intensive job.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 3 2018, 09:24 AM) *

Jeff is a valuable member of our community and a terrific guy. beerchug.gif

agree.gif

Jeff is the real deal, trustworthy & honest. pray.gif

I have a complete Jeff's wire harness on my 914. When I purchased them a long time ago he had the NOS rubber boots available. NOS rubber boots are no longer available, but Mercedes has some that are very similiar? I'll check my source for details since I have a few spares NOS Porsche & Mercedes (similiar in looks except for part #'s)

Tom
914_7T3
My new ignition harness from Jeff will be going into the car in about 3-4 weeks and dealing with him has been a smooth and seamless process.

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146

Hi Jeff
What can you do for 914 6 engine harnesses ?
Can a complete used one be rebuilt ? Can you supply a new one ?
Can you supply variants for conversions ? 3.0 , 3.2, 3.6 ?
TIA
Rory
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(restore2seater @ Jan 3 2018, 08:46 AM) *

I have built over 800 new harnesses for our 914s over the years, and the only harnesses I do not currently build is the main chassis harness (main cables).

Jeff, what's the reason for not doing main harnesses? Does it have to do with too many variations throughout the years? Any possibility you will be doing them in the future?

Thanks for all the positive vibes my friends. Its great to feel appreciated and that I am helping you out. grouphug.gif

As far as the main harnesses goes, all I can say is that I hope to build them someday, probably after I retire in a few years. I already have most of the engineering and some of the tooling done. I can tell you that the effort and investment to build them is huge. 170+ circuits, 75 different combinations of wire gauge, color and striping - the cost of the materials alone for one harness is a paycheck for most of us. 6 different versions for the 914/4 cars, plus 2 more for the 914/6 cars. Kroon takes about 6 months to build ONE chassis harness, so you can see that the resources needed before the first one is built is enormous and I just don't have that kind of time while I am working 60 hours a week.

But keep hope alive! Fortunately, the chassis harness is well protected in the car and not subject to the brutal engine bay conditions. All you should generally need to worry about are the PO's and their cutters.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 3 2018, 01:14 PM) *

Hi Jeff
What can you do for 914 6 engine harnesses ?
Can a complete used one be rebuilt ? Can you supply a new one ?
Can you supply variants for conversions ? 3.0 , 3.2, 3.6 ?
TIA
Rory

Hi Rory, thanks for asking. I have intentionally not offered the 914/6 harnesses, to give someone else the opportunity. I have recommended our own Perry Kiehl for many years now, for any of the 914/6 engine bay harnesses. Folks have reported good results - and he has always been a real pleasure to deal with. Contact Perry directly.
Newbie question: Is it difficult to run new wiring from the engine compartment to the front of the car? Is there a thread where this has already been discussed?
JeffBowlsby
No, yes, maybe. Not enough info.
gothspeed
Since i am finally reassembling after paint, i have been to Jeff's site more times than i can count. He has a great many useful diagrams and sketches. Which has been indispensable on my project. Thank you for posting them!

I may be looking into a stock 3 gauge console harness, alternator and engine harness when the time comes. smile.gif

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm
IronHillRestorations
PM sent to Rory
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.