Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pushrod Tube Retainer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RenoRoger
Changed pushrod tube seals to fix a slight leak. In the process, I must have bent the rod retainer, Part # 021109339, slightly which caused a bigger leak. While trying to bend that hoaky springlike contraption, it broke. Has anyone designed a better one that puts more pressure on the tubes and seals? The original design seems not very effective. So far I have not been able to find a replacement.
cwpeden
The spring doesn't actually aid in sealing. Its just a retainer, which is necessary.

If the leak wasn't fixed then I suggest that you may have left some soil in there.
iankarr
agree.gif

The wire retainer just prevents the tubes from sliding away from the block and out of the bore.

In addition to dirt, a few other things can affect sealing...like the seal getting hung up on a sharp edge and being damaged on installation (easy to do)...or the pushrod tube being out of round. If all is as it should be, the o-rings should seal well without any additional help.

I'd use new tubes and Viton seals. Clean the bores till they're spotless, spread a little motor oil around the seals on assembly and make sure all are fully seated in the block. There's usually a satisfying little bump / pop when they hit home.

Good luck!
Mark Henry
agree.gif
clean clean clean! Deburr sharp edges!

Old school is clean oil, some use liquid Teflon pipe sealant, I use a Dow Corning grease like product made for O-rings.

A good practice is to spin the tube as you install it in the bore.
mobymutt
The pushrod tube bores in my heads and block had a few nicks, which will never seal properly with just an o-ring. I filled the nicks with high temp RTV. Perhaps JB weld would have been better, but it's not as easily reversible. Likely there's a more professional solution.
Elliot Cannon
Nobody likes this but it works for me. w00t.gif
aharder
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 4 2018, 08:17 PM) *

Nobody likes this but it works for me. w00t.gif

What is that red stuff confused24.gif if it works for you it should work for me biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.