Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Breaching the firewall, clean and safe solutions??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I'd like to avoid using bulkhead connectors, for good quality parts they can get expenisive and it also throws more components into the equation of troubleshooting or possible failure.

The diameter of the wiring bundle is ~14mm, one gromment I found that would work would be dust and waterproof which is fine, but I'm a little worried about the 29mm hole I must punch thru the firewall.

Dr Evil
I wanted to use a Cannon plug for the whole wiring harness. You could disconnect all of the wires at one plug. They are not cheap though, but water, dust, oil proof. How many wires are we talking about?
machina
I just found a rubber grommet at the FLAPS but it is not fire or dust proof.

I started looking on mcmaster carr and found a couple but have since settled with what I got.
lapuwali
The best solution is to not mount it in the cabin at all. Do what Mark Henry did with his SDS install: mount it inside a gutted stock ECU box in the stock location. The SDS isn't rated for heat or waterproofness, either, and it seems to work for him. Plan B would be to mount it where the relay board went (since you dumped yours) but mount it inside another waterproof box. Ruggized plastic camera cases, for example, would work well. I'm also wondering about how well it would work where the 914/6 oil tank goes. Lots of space there, out of the heat, but you'd need to worry about muck and water.
Aaron Cox
mil-spec connector.

like the 29 pin one.....

waterproof. fireproof. DONE
Dr Evil
Thats what I am talking about, Aaron. But, Mike is right, $$$$.
TimT
22 pin weatherpac connector=$60

thats what Im using
Mueller
QUOTE (lapuwali @ May 30 2005, 12:57 PM)
The best solution is to not mount it in the cabin at all. Do what Mark Henry did with his SDS install: mount it inside a gutted stock ECU box in the stock location. The SDS isn't rated for heat or waterproofness, either, and it seems to work for him. Plan B would be to mount it where the relay board went (since you dumped yours) but mount it inside another waterproof box. Ruggized plastic camera cases, for example, would work well. I'm also wondering about how well it would work where the 914/6 oil tank goes. Lots of space there, out of the heat, but you'd need to worry about muck and water.

I kinda like the /6 tank location, I'm betting heat wise it does not get too much hotter than the inside cabin could obtain due to the greenhouse effect of the windows and an all black interior during the summer.

I have a week or so to figure out the location, I'm sending the unit it back along with my Mallory CDI box for them to troubleshoot...they support MSD CDI boxes and have never done a Mallory CDI before, the Mallory "should" be a 100% replacment, but something it not right with the signals.

One thing I have found that I don't like about the Link is that I cannot figure out how configure the base tables based on motor size, injector flow and motor VE, I think I screwed up and erased the base tables they setup on the ECU and I replaced them with the "sample" setup which makes no sense at all.

It appears you give them the main info, they program the unit and it's up to me to fine tune it, i don't like that at all.......I'll know more in the morning when I call.

There is a support forum, but so far this weekend I get the "read the manual" BS....trust me, I have, "something" is missing from it and I'm not a happy camper....many of the values can be from 0-255 (common ADC values), but there has to be a formula to get to the numbers needed
crash914
Hey Mike...I just drilled holes in mine for the MS....I brought all wires through for the relay box and CPU inside some plastic wire wrap...used a 3/4 inch grommet to protect the metal. works ok.....that said, you can allways go for the rear trunk....
crash914
woo hoo.....just made 500th post....!!
lapuwali
QUOTE (crash914 @ May 31 2005, 03:30 AM)
Hey Mike...I just drilled holes in mine for the MS....I brought all wires through for the relay box and CPU inside some plastic wire wrap...used a 3/4 inch grommet to protect the metal. works ok.....that said, you can allways go for the rear trunk....

Rear trunk runs even hotter than the engine bay (exhaust heat). The front of the engine bay runs cool enough for an ECU, as long as you waterproof it.
Joe Bob
I used a hole saw, split a piece of fuel line, lined the edges of the hole with the line and mounted the box in the rear trunk...prolly the "Duke boys" way...but it werks gud. wink.gif
jonwatts
I don't think we can regard any part of a 914 as "water-proof"

I was going to mount my ECU behind the passenger seat but I wasn't considering rear window leaks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.