Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modifying Rocker panels for GT Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nacho
Hi

I've been searching for hours but cant find anything on how to move the rocker panels outward to reduce the amount of inset from original. I have some ideas but was trying to reduce some of known errors by reading some constructive articles.

Here is what I'm working with:

* New metal rocker panels from Restoration Design
* GT Rocker flare ends from Mb911 (AWESOME PARTS!)

What I'm trying to achive is more of a flush look with the door & quarter panel.

Thanks

Elliot Cannon
I'm not sure this will help much but here it is. I have fiberglass GT fenders and rocker panels. When I riveted the rocker panels to the door sill, the bottom edge of the rocker panels were about an inch or so out from the mounting holes on the under side in order to be flush with the quarter panels and fenders. I had to make little extensions to mount the bottom edge of the rocker panels. Here is a less than Sir Andy worthy photograph. laugh.gif
sixnotfour
like this ?? flag.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...94009&st=60
Nacho
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 7 2018, 02:23 PM) *

I'm not sure this will help much but here it is. I have fiberglass GT fenders and rocker panels. When I riveted the rocker panels to the door sill, the bottom edge of the rocker panels were about an inch or so out from the mounting holes on the under side in order to be flush with the quarter panels and fenders. I had to make little extensions to mount the bottom edge of the rocker panels. Here is a less than Sir Andy worthy photograph. laugh.gif

I was thinking of doing this for the mocking up and getting a measurement of how much metal I was going to add. By that I mean I want to add a strip parallel to the top rivet area (1/2") and the same to the bottom (1/2")
Nacho
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 7 2018, 03:47 PM) *

Yes and I love the work you've done. I was planning on doing the same as you did on the top side on the rocker panel by adding addition metal to make it flush. Did you also do the same for the bottom or did you just make brackets to attach the under side?

Thanks
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Nacho @ Jan 7 2018, 01:58 PM) *

Yes and I love the work you've done. I checked out your blog but I doesn't goin into much detail on how you made them. Do you have any thing more in detail?

Thanks

I didnt do those,,,but remebered the thread...here is my Nacho..
Nacho
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 7 2018, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Nacho @ Jan 7 2018, 01:58 PM) *

Yes and I love the work you've done. I checked out your blog but I doesn't goin into much detail on how you made them. Do you have any thing more in detail?

Thanks

I didnt do those,,,but remebered the thread...here is my Nacho..

lol-2.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 7 2018, 11:23 AM) *

Yes I had to rivet install 'extenders' on the lower part of my flared fiberglass rockers as well. I have yet to install them permanently. headbang.gif
3d914
nacho, you're quick to notice this. I think it gets by most teener owners with flares. When I started looking at the flared rockers that came on my flared 914 it was clear that something didn't look right. Just haven't gotten back to that section yet to resolve it.

I think bulitt's link shows the best metal solution which, though he doesn't show it in the thread, I suspect he had to extend the underside. Without doing that the angle is wrong and it's not an extension of the doors cross-sectional lines.

Just thinking out load.

mb911
What I did was just copy the fiberglass parts that were out there.. That lip looks nice on the metal surgeon site.
Nacho
QUOTE(3d914 @ Jan 8 2018, 02:15 PM) *

nacho, you're quick to notice this. I think it gets by most teener owners with flares. When I started looking at the flared rockers that came on my flared 914 it was clear that something didn't look right. Just haven't gotten back to that section yet to resolve it.

I think bulitt's link shows the best metal solution which, though he doesn't show it in the thread, I suspect he had to extend the underside. Without doing that the angle is wrong and it's not an extension of the doors cross-sectional lines.

Just thinking out load.

You are correct with the angle and the length not being correct on the bottom. I plan on cutting the bottom flange about 1"+- behind the screw holes and add a strip of metal to extend the flange to reach the original holes. When I get a little further along I will post some pictures.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.