Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pattern for the Dash face plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
n2j2ryan
Just wondering if anyone has made a pattern for the Dash face that usually gets covered in the Brick material. I am wanting to make a one piece out of metal that I can paint to match the car.
914Sixer
Check 914Rubber.com. They have new plates.
76-914
Are you talking the radio block off plate? If it's the dash plate that goes from the Head light switch to the radio I have one out getting ready to cover. I can trace you a pattern and mail it to you. PM me because I may forget to come back to this post. beerchug.gif
76-914
Delete
76-914
Delete
76-914
delete
simonjb
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 7 2018, 07:45 PM) *

Are you talking the radio block off plate? If it's the dash plate that goes from the Head light switch to the radio I have one out getting ready to cover. I can trace you a pattern and mail it to you. PM me because I may forget to come back to this post. beerchug.gif

I am doing the same. How are you going to cut the vinyl? I was thinking of gluing the vinyl on, let dry, and then trim off the edges and make the cut-outs.
mepstein
Maddog used to make this type of piece.
76-914
QUOTE(simonjb @ Jan 7 2018, 06:32 PM) *

I am doing the same. How are you going to cut the vinyl? I was thinking of gluing the vinyl on, let dry, and then trim off the edges and make the cut-outs.

I laid the metal piece on the back of the vinyl and traced it out. Then I cut it out with scissors. Razor knifes tend to pull and stretch the material you are cutting. I will trim the holes with an exact-o knife after the glue has set. Be sure to use a glue that will withstand 160F. You want to leave about 1/8" extra (beyond the metal) where it goes over the steering wheel clamshell or you'll see the gap after it's installed. The cutout is a little large on the metal piece so you can slip it in and over that clamshell. Does that make sense? I'll post some pic's later this week (after the adhesive arrives) in my build thread detailing it beerchug.gif
simonjb
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 7 2018, 11:28 PM) *

QUOTE(simonjb @ Jan 7 2018, 06:32 PM) *

I laid the metal piece on the back of the vinyl and traced it out. Then I cut it out with scissors. Razor knifes tend to pull and stretch the material you are cutting. I will trim the holes with an exact-o knife after the glue has set. Be sure to use a glue that will withstand 160F. You want to leave about 1/8" extra (beyond the metal) where it goes over the steering wheel clamshell or you'll see the gap after it's installed. The cutout is a little large on the metal piece so you can slip it in and over that clamshell. Does that make sense? I'll post some pic's later this week (after the adhesive arrives) in my build thread detailing it beerchug.gif

I think I get it. I'll try the same, cut, glue, dry, cut.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.