Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '71 versus 75 desirability
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Pretend for a moment that everything else about the cars was equivalent, body condition under the paint etc. etc.

1.7 L single carb on the '71 versus 1.8 L single carb on the '75 (yes the single car thing would have to be addressed on both)

Are the earlier cars considered, broadly, more desirable than a later one? Obviously the bumpers or the big difference but are there other considerations that drive desirability between those model years?

Thanks again for all of the help and education that you've provided, very much appreciate it.
914Sixer
Go for the 75. 1.8 easy engine upgrade. It has the better windows, door latches, plug and play center console wiring. Bumper change out is a easy swap but they grow on you. Lots of other little things that are a plus.
Mike Bellis
70 & 71 have some unique parts NLA. 75 has big ass bumpers. Typically 73 & 74 are most desirable.
mepstein
The ‘75 is a better driver but I’ll always take an early car. Lighter and looks better to me. It’s going to get a six and a different trans so I don’t care about the stock parts.
Larmo63
I usually side with the earlier car too. It would probably depend too on the color(s) of said cars.
914work
agree.gif with 1s comments
1.7 vs 1.8L, Tail vs side shifter alone make the later car more desirable.
Tdskip
EDIT - side shifter can be applied to the early car, right? Just time and money. Grin.
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 7 2018, 05:46 PM) *

EDIT - side shifter can be applied to the early car, right? Just time and money. Grin.

Yes, $500-1k
Steve
Living in so cal, it’s easy and cheap to find early chrome bumpers to swap out,
Updating windows, side shift trans, vents, etc. are way more expensive and a major hastle.
However body work is always the biggest expense. I will always side with the nicest body, with the least amount of rust.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 7 2018, 11:31 PM) *

Updating windows, side shift trans, vents, etc. are way more expensive and a major hastle.
However body work is always the biggest expense. I will always side with the nicest body, with the least amount of rust.

Thanks Steve.

Nice build BTW, heck of a car.
ottox914
Depends. Building another autox car or track car I'd go early. In my world a trans swap is no biggie. I personally favor the chrome bumpers. A 1.7 won't be fast, but a 1.8 will be slow. (Sorry 1.8 owners). Fun street run about- the 1.8. The better latches, trans are nice to have, and with the top off on a sunny day either motor will get you to the Dairy Queen or beach equally well.
Tdskip
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jan 8 2018, 07:18 AM) *

Depends. Building another autox car or track car I'd go early. In my world a trans swap is no biggie. I personally favor the chrome bumpers. A 1.7 won't be fast, but a 1.8 will be slow. (Sorry 1.8 owners). Fun street run about- the 1.8. The better latches, trans are nice to have, and with the top off on a sunny day either motor will get you to the Dairy Queen or beach equally well.

Good morning. Thanks for the note.

To put in a side shift I don't need to swap out the whole gearbox, do I? It's needing as complete linkage and mounts etc?
Front yard mechanic
Buy both 2 is better than one
Steve
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 8 2018, 05:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 7 2018, 11:31 PM) *

Thanks Steve.

Nice build BTW, heck of a car.

I also forgot with a 71 the passenger seat is not adjustable. The windshield wiper switch is on the dash versus the steering column. Another pain to update or change.
A plus for the 71 is it’s easier to install the left 914-6 ignition key, since the 914-6’s were based off of the 70 and 71 year Cars.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 8 2018, 08:27 AM) *

To put in a side shift I don't need to swap out the whole gearbox, do I? It's needing as complete linkage and mounts etc?

To convert to side shift you basically need to change out everything from the shifter on back, including all the linkage, engine bar, warm air guides, etc. That includes either acquiring a later gearbox or modifying the tail-shift gearbox with all the bits to convert it to a side-shifter. It's not that hard to convert the tail-shifter gearbox to side-shifter functionality, but most people just swap out the entire gearbox (at least I think) as they seem to be plentifully available.

But again - in addition to the gearbox, you'll have a fairly lengthy shopping list of other parts you'll need. It's all documented here in many threads.

All things being equal, I generally prefer the early cars. But again, so many other factors in play, mostly to do with the shape of the tub.
Tdskip
Thanks Steve
Tdskip
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jan 8 2018, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 8 2018, 08:27 AM) *

To convert to side shift you basically need to change out everything from the shifter on back, including all the linkage, engine bar, warm air guides, etc. That includes either acquiring a later gearbox or modifying the tail-shift gearbox with all the bits to convert it to a side-shifter. It's not that hard to convert the tail-shifter gearbox to side-shifter functionality, but most people just swap out the entire gearbox (at least I think) as they seem to be plentifully available.

But again - in addition to the gearbox, you'll have a fairly lengthy shopping list of other parts you'll need. It's all documented here in many threads.

All things being equal, I generally prefer the early cars. But again, so many other factors in play, mostly to do with the shape of the tub.

Thanks for the response, all spend some time digging and come up with a list to present back to make sure I'm thinking about it the right way and have a realistic parts/budget/labor list.

I will be doing all my own work, so that will help manage the costs a bit.

Thanks!

EdwardBlume
To quote a 356 guy: when asked which 356 was the best, he told me "the last one, because it took that long for them to get it right!"
Coondog
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Jan 8 2018, 06:21 AM) *

To quote a 356 guy: when asked which 356 was the best, he told me "the last one, because it took that long for them to get it right!"

If it wasn’t for Califs smog law I would have bought a 1976, only because it was the last model year.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 8 2018, 06:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Jan 8 2018, 06:21 AM) *

If it wasn’t for Califs smog law I would have bought a 1976, only because it was the last model year.

agree.gif agree.gif

Its funny how the newer cars are all the rage when they are new, and how the older cars are worth more as they age. With one of my kid's in the car, I'd take a later door than an early one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.