Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J123young
I have replaced the back coil springs and shocks and brakes all the way around. Still a little bit of a rough ride from the front struts.

What's the easiest way to replace them? can they be replaced with the wheel assembly still on?
mepstein
Yes
mihai914
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...++front++shocks

Check this out.
Dave_Darling
The short version: Remove the top nut on the strut, push the shaft down into the fender, collapse the strut to where you can swing the top outside the fender. Then remove the insert from the strut, put the new one in, tighten up the gland nut and put the dust cap back on. Collapse the strut again and push it up through the bushing, tighten the top nut and bend the lock plate.

To loosen and to tighten the gland nut, I had to put the top of the shock back into the mounting bushing in the fender, so there were a couple more iterations of "collapse the strut, put it in the fender, extend the strut".

--DD
J123young
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 8 2018, 10:39 AM) *

The short version: Remove the top nut on the strut, push the shaft down into the fender, collapse the strut to where you can swing the top outside the fender. Then remove the insert from the strut, put the new one in, tighten up the gland nut and put the dust cap back on. Collapse the strut again and push it up through the bushing, tighten the top nut and bend the lock plate.

To loosen and to tighten the gland nut, I had to put the top of the shock back into the mounting bushing in the fender, so there were a couple more iterations of "collapse the strut, put it in the fender, extend the strut".

--DD

Thanks! I appreciate the info. That will be this weekend's project.
rgalla9146
Please check my addition to the thread mentioned in post #3
I'm too lazy to move it here....where it belongs.
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 8 2018, 01:16 PM) *

Please check my addition to the thread mentioned in post #3
I'm too lazy to move it here....where it belongs.

good tip!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.