Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intake Manifold to Injector O Ring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1adam12
I took my injectors out of my '72 1.7l over the weekend and found that the PO used RTV gasket sealant to seal off the #2,#1 fuel injectors dry.gif Upon further inspection, I noticed that the stepped o-ring/grommets where missing. I purchased an injector o-rings set from my local auto store thinking that would be it but nope. Can someone please tell me what that o-ring/grommet is called and where I can purchase them?

It's placed in the bottom opening of the intake runners where the injector is installed.
iankarr
Here's a link to pelican which has the small seal (the one you're referencing) and the large seal which goes around the wide part of the injector.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearc...n=injector+seal
Mikey914
Post up some pics,
I may have what you need.
Mark
1adam12
Thanks Gents! I'll check through Pelican.

Mark, I checked through your website first and didn't see anything but here's a pic of the piece. Looks like I'll have to replace all 4 since the existing ones are cracking.
mepstein
If you decide to send out your injectors to be cleaned, mr injector replaces all the rubber parts in the $17.50 price.
1adam12
CuddyK I looked through Pelican and I didn't find it. Only found grommet plugs, gaskets and the upper and lower seals to the injector.
iankarr
If Mark / Mikey and 914rubber has these, def buy from them!
1adam12
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 8 2018, 01:16 PM) *

If you decide to send out your injectors to be cleaned, mr injector replaces all the rubber parts in the $17.50 price.

Yeah that's most likely the avenue I'll need to go. Read up on your recent service from them over the weekend.
TheCabinetmaker
Those are not type 4 injector seals. 914 seals do not have a lip.
TheCabinetmaker
Actually, those are not seals. They are just spacers to hold the injector in place. The small ones are the actual seals.
1adam12
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jan 8 2018, 01:22 PM) *

Those are not type 4 injector seals. 914 seals do not have a lip.

This grommet/seal actually installs in the injector port on the intake runner... well at least on my #3, and #4 injectors. It seemed that it was factory because the injectors fit much more snug and the grommet/seal fit flush in the base of the runner. I rather be 100% sure on this as it's on my set up and the PO used gasket sealant on the injectors that did not have this grommet.
1adam12
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jan 8 2018, 01:24 PM) *

Actually, those are not seals. They are just spacers to hold the injector in place. The small ones are the actual seals.

That makes perfect sense. So I need to locate some injector spacers then?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(1adam12 @ Jan 8 2018, 02:18 PM) *

I took my injectors out of my '72 1.7l over the weekend and found that the PO used RTV gasket sealant to seal off the #2,#1 fuel injectors dry.gif Upon further inspection, I noticed that the stepped o-ring/grommets where missing. I purchased an injector o-rings set from my local auto store thinking that would be it but nope. Can someone please tell me what that o-ring/grommet is called and where I can purchase them?

It's placed in the bottom opening of the intake runners where the injector is installed.

Rock Auto has them real cheap
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalogRock Auto injector seals
1adam12
Thanks folks! I'll order some through the recommended dealers.
Mikey914
Sorry didn't get to posting up, but looks like these are available, and inexpensive.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(1adam12 @ Jan 8 2018, 01:20 PM) *

CuddyK I looked through Pelican and I didn't find it. Only found grommet plugs, gaskets and the upper and lower seals to the injector.

The lower seals are the parts you are talking about. They hold the end of the injector in the intake runner pipe.

--DD
1adam12
I think what's throwing me off is that the O-rings that I posted pics of looked nothing like the fuel injector lower seals that I just purchased. I'm just presently learning through someone else's ghetto rigging this 1.7l. Now it makes sense why the the #2 and #1 injectors had only RTV gasket seal sense the previous owner just scraped together whatever seals they could for the present injectors.

I'll be placing the new factory replacement upper and lower seals on my injectors tonight. I'm surprised I didn't see any fuel leakage. Well, One Fix At A Damn Time! Purchased car back in May and haven't even driven her yet.
JamesM
QUOTE(1adam12 @ Jan 10 2018, 04:50 PM) *

I think what's throwing me off is that the O-rings that I posted pics of looked nothing like the fuel injector lower seals that I just purchased. I'm just presently learning through someone else's ghetto rigging this 1.7l. Now it makes sense why the the #2 and #1 injectors had only RTV gasket seal sense the previous owner just scraped together whatever seals they could for the present injectors.

I'll be placing the new factory replacement upper and lower seals on my injectors tonight. I'm surprised I didn't see any fuel leakage. Well, One Fix At A Damn Time! Purchased car back in May and haven't even driven her yet.

They look nothing like the lower seals you purchased because the ones that were on the car had 40 years of pressure and heat from the heads applied to them. They all wind up looking like that eventually. The stepped shape is what they look like pressed in place, those ones have just been baked so long they no longer spring back.
1adam12
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 10 2018, 05:21 PM) *

QUOTE(1adam12 @ Jan 10 2018, 04:50 PM) *

They look nothing like the lower seals you purchased because the ones that were on the car had 40 years of pressure and heat from the heads applied to them. They all wind up looking like that eventually. The stepped shape is what they look like pressed in place, those ones have just been baked so long they no longer spring back.

Thanks JamesM. Makes sense why they fit so perfectly in the heads. 40 year molding process!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.