Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 Axels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
I know that new 914 axels are currently available from the Porsche dealer. I found them priced between $371 to $256 each plus shipping.

While I think the stock units will be more than enough for my current plans I just started think what would it cost to step up? I looked into the Tarett High Performance Axle Set. At $699 a set not cheap. If I follow things correctly they use an adaptor plate to install beefier CV joints. In the end you have essentially a very modern set up that can pretty much handle anything that is thrown its way for similar cost as the stock ones. Just have to find 500HP to justify the purchase.

Click to view attachment

Anyone used these?
mmascari
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jan 9 2018, 11:40 AM) *

I know that new 914 axels are currently available from the Porsche dealer. I found them priced between $371 to $256 each plus shipping.

While I think the stock units will be more than enough for my current plans I just started think what would it cost to step up? I looked into the Tarett High Performance Axle Set. At $699 a set not cheap. If I follow things correctly they use an adaptor plate to install beefier CV joints. In the end you have essentially a very modern set up that can pretty much handle anything that is thrown its way for similar cost as the stock ones. Just have to find 500HP to justify the purchase.

Click to view attachment

Anyone used these?

Those are nice. I am looking at these as well for my six conversion. Were they readily available or did you have to order and wait? Where did you purchase them from?
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
I just had my set delivered a couple weeks ago- they were ordered thru Tarett but are actually made by Renegade Hybrids. (Tarett had to confirm Renegade had them in stock to drop ship) They are beautifully made and after researching the 944 conversion, cost wasn't really different. New bolts and grease provided as well. The axels came powder coated black on mine - BTW.

I haven't installed them yet but consider it $ well spent after seeing them in person.

I can take some pics of the adapters if you want- they are works of art.
Andrew

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jan 9 2018, 11:40 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Anyone used these?

Mark Henry
Are you doing a 5-bolt or 4?

I did the performance 5 bolt upgrade, the Sway a Way axles were half that price direct from sway a way.
I also believe sway a way has stock size axles, they're a good company to deal with.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728
Mblizzard
Some pictures would be great.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 9 2018, 11:57 AM) *

I did the performance 5 bolt upgrade, the sway a way axles were half that price direct from sway a way.

Right now just sticking with 4. Did not come across a list for a complete axel assembly form Sway Away.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jan 9 2018, 03:01 PM) *

I did the performance 5 bolt upgrade, the sway a way axles were half that price direct from sway a way.

Right now just sticking with 4. Did not come across a list for a complete axel assembly form Sway Away.

Fastest way to contact Sway a Way is to pick up the phone.
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
If you order from Tarett- mention the free shipping. They are heavy and were going to be about $40.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry

Why are you replacing? Up to 160-180hp I've never once seen a broken axle.
My 180hp T4 powered bug has stock bug axles.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 9 2018, 12:54 PM) *

Why are you replacing? Up to 160-180hp I've never once seen a broken axle.
My 180hp T4 powered bug has stock bug axles.

Not sure I will be at that HP level but for close to the same cost it seems acceptable to over do it!
Andyrew
Same thing that Rennegade Hybrids does, probably same product.

The axles are VW Bus 100mm axles they are very strong. I run this in my setup but dont use the transmission side adapter because my Audi transmission I swapped the stub axles to have the boxster 100mm flanges. I run a bone stock Bus CV (which is what that kit runs as well) and have spares incase I break one. $75 for a full axle smile.gif

400HP and I havent seen any signs of failure.
Maltese Falcon
The big HP/ Tq. numbers on these axles kind of morphed out of the off road Baja, Sand- buggy market. Rigs powered by big hp GM LS engines,
and requiring crazy CV joint angles for jumping huge berms + taking hard landings. These are called 300M axles and I've sourced a couple from an off-road outfitter www.mckenzies.com in Anaheim Ca., but most off road retailers carry these. Mckenzies also offers 930 style joints made out of higher grade materials (over stock mtl.) including low friction cages/ ball bearings. Also using Krytox brand c/v joint lube. They offer various axle lengths, splines and a great technical staff . 934 style CV's avail as well, but the dia will not fit into 914 trailing arms.
914Sixer
I have some Empi 4340 ChroMoly 2210 axles coming for five bolt with 944 CV's on 911 SC hubs and 915 trans flange. Should be a good setup.
flmont
Perfect timing, I will need axel's for my Subie upgrade,..So I could use Bus axel's with 901 flanges and that is the same as a R. Hyb's 600.00 axel's,...Please tell me yes...LOL
burton73
And I need custom axels to fit my 7-year-old brand new 930 CV joints and bolt up to my 930 box. I got them from PMB Performance a long time ago and E said I would need a custom length as my flipped 930 box is sitting higher and back a little.
Boy lots of parts from before coming together now. Installed 930 Stub axles in strengthened trailing arms by PMB with early 911 parking brakes/ Boxster rear Brakes

Bob B
w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.