Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alternator harness swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
With all the burns, patches and splices, it's a miracle my alternator harness didn't burn my car down. I swapped it out with a new one from 914 rubber. Super simple, but I shot the how-to anyway, in case someone out there thinks it's more complicated than it is. Hopefully this prevents a fire wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4UNCeoOcG0
mgphoto
Great job, love the powder coating.
FYI there is supposed to be a paper gasket between the cover and the alternator.
It doesn't show up in the parts book, it aids in preventing the cooling air from escaping.
I made a stencil and cut it from a sheet of gasket paper. Cooler the alternator runs the more power it produces.
iankarr
Thanks!

Great to know about the gasket. There wasn't one when I took it apart. But there's a sticker that says "remanufactured" so I suppose they forgot to put it in back then.

Mikey914
Very nice.
I'll do up some paper gaskets to include with the harnesses.
mark
bdstone914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 10 2018, 01:23 AM) *

Very nice.
I'll do up some paper gaskets to include with the harnesses.
mark

A thicker paper or silicone gasket would increase the distance from the cover to the positive terminal and boot. The boot is compressed by the cover. Maybe a nylon acorn nut on the stud to reduce arcing to the cover? Many boots I have removed at damaged and torn. A slight bump to the cover and the alternator arcs out. I have heard of rebuilders using a longer stud that contact the cover.

Mark, I got three powder coated alternator covers to send to you.

Bruce

914Sixer
Alternator is missing the rubber plugs that go in the U hole too. Might be able to get picture of U plugs later today if I have some.
mgphoto
There are type IV alternators that have a much longer positive lug, squeezing the rubber cap so much that it eventually shorts against the cover, paper gasket does not help insulate from ground.
The covers are specific to the 914, bus and 911E.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.