Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Patch Panel Welding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jBHD7lAJfY

Just posted this on Instagram. Timelapse of welding in a patch panel on this 914. This is the hell hole area, the inner fender wall where the battery tray will mount.

I feel the gap between the panels to see if one is higher than the other, then use a variety of hammer and/or dolly to bring the two pieces level. This step is where good welds are made. Without lining up the pieces you'll never get invisible welds.

Then a quick series of tack welds, stacking one onto the next one until the gap is filled. Then hit it with a wire brush (blue handle) to remove the burn 'smoke'.

I use a variety of grinders, but mostly the 3" Roloc 80g sanding disk, to grind the welds smooth. I first shoot to remove 90% of the height of the weld, this is the grinding that makes lots of sparks. Then I lightly grind the last 10%, moving smoothly and evenly and changing grinding direction to avoid cutting grooves/ruts into the material.

Finally some hand sanding with 120g emery cloth which highlights and high or low spots that need further attention.

This video represents about 35m of work. If there's any interest, maybe I'll take a real-time video tomorrow to better show the process.

Helpful? Interesting? confused24.gif
Ferg
Cool! aktion035.gif
mihai914
Nice work!

Please post more. It is both helpful and interesting. It's always good to know how when developing new skills and techniques or when discussing with a repair shop.
BeatNavy
I agree, please post more if you can. This is awesome, and these are techniques many of us need to learn.

Good to see you posting, Mark. You've been quiet recently smile.gif
bretth
Awesome, could watch more of this all day. Have to do this same area on my car.
bigkensteele
agree.gif Very cool! I would love to see more. Please post a pic of what the backside inside the fender well looks like. I need to do the same repair, and I would like it to be virtually invisible.
bbrock
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 9 2018, 04:03 PM) *

Helpful? Interesting? confused24.gif

Yes! and Yes! I've been trying to perfect this technique for months and useful videos of the process are almost non-existent. Not until my last two patches have I gotten the perfect invisible welds so I still have much to learn. I'd love to see more. aktion035.gif
76-914
+1
infraredcalvin
+1
rick 918-S
What is instigram? huh.gif Looking good Mark. welder.gif smash.gif welder.gif
Mueller
Nice job, that is some dedication.
PlaysWithCars
Yeah, very helpful. Would love it see it run a little slower to be able to pick up on more of the activity details. Maybe 2x or 3x real time? 60x was a bit too fast to really appreciate and absorb what was happening.
Elliot Cannon
Say HI to this handsome, talented dude. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.