Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do I Remove This Vent
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Is this center vent held in place with screws from below or does it snap in? I didn't want to force it so I ask. I don't want to sheeplove.gif with that damned air box either. mad.gif

EDIT: DUH, What was I thinking. Here it is.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mankowski
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 9 2018, 05:04 PM) *

Is this center vent held in place with screws from below or does it snap in? I didn't want to force it so I ask. I don't want to sheeplove.gif with that damned air box either. mad.gif

No picture in your post, but I am guessing you mean the center defrost air vent on the dashboard?
bdstone914
Two screws,fom the bottom. rare center vent.
euro911
Ah ha. Thanks for both, the question and the answer beerchug.gif
falcor75
Wow a part I've never seen before, can we see a picture of the whole dash with the vent...please?
mepstein
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 10 2018, 03:22 AM) *

Wow a part I've never seen before, can we see a picture of the whole dash with the vent...please?

center vent in early cars. side vents '73 and up .
rgalla9146
except the 6......what was the logic ?
clapeza
Looks like a great part for 914Rubber to make!

Perhaps even an "improved" model that snaps into place from above?

If so, count me in for one!
bdstone914
QUOTE(clapeza @ Jan 10 2018, 07:27 AM) *

Looks like a great part for 914Rubber to make!

Perhaps even an "improved" model that snaps into place from above?

If so, count me in for one!

Very little demand for that part. To add the center vent you need the air duct with the port for the air to the center vent. The one in the picture is for sale. I also have the air duct to go with it.
Bruce
krazykonrad
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Please post a picture. I'm curious to see what this looks like in the car. I'm almost certain that my 72 does not have it.

Thanks,
Konrad
Optimusglen
Here's an old pic from my build showing the vent.

IPB Image
aharder
I have never seen one of these on a 914 before blink.gif
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(aharder @ Jan 10 2018, 06:39 AM) *

They got rid of them as quickly as they could, really ugly!
QUOTE(aharder @ Jan 10 2018, 06:39 AM) *

I thought mine was a coin holder.
76-914
Picture added to original post. headbang.gif And it looks as if I might need to remove tha damned air box. I'd rather take an ass whupping. wacko.gif BTW, I don't understand why they deleted it. It produces a mighty blast of air. I can Fart with more force than the side defrosters on my 914's.
Blue6
Although ugly in the center of the dash top, that center defroster in the early cars really helps. Porsche designers should have redesigned a better looking piece and kept it. I've only seen them on 70-71 4's.
euro911
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 10 2018, 08:30 AM) *
Picture added to original post. headbang.gif And it looks as if I might need to remove tha damned air box. I'd rather take an ass whupping. wacko.gif BTW, I don't understand why the deleted it. It produces a mighty blast of air. I can Fart with more force than the side defrosters on my 914's.
Probably a step the production line manager(s) decided to eliminate, for the same reason you'd want to take that ass whuppin' unsure.gif
rhodyguy
Just remove it, make a cover plate and put new vinyl on? Are you planning to provide some sort of H2O heat?
Elliot Cannon
Isn't that a Subaru part? Subaru recommends you use a 36 inch pipe wrench for removal. av-943.gif
forrestkhaag
For what it’s worth, that little vent works great when combined with a 12v hairdryer in a heat deleted 914. Cheers
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jan 10 2018, 12:26 PM) *

For what it’s worth, that little vent works great when combined with a 12v hairdryer in a heat deleted 914. Cheers

I'm curious to see how that works. Would my Type IV alternator have enough spare capacity to power it?
76-914
After staring at that fresh air box I decided that I would chance ruining the new Vinyl over, most assuredly the air box. I used the old piece of Vinyl as a template and cut out the opening for the vent. Using an old dull hacksaw blade I removed the old padding and Vinyl from beneath the vent. I "skooched" the new padding under the vent then stretched the Vinyl over the vent on one end and carefully massaged it over the vent and then beneath it. After that I placed and glued the foam first, working from center out followed by the Vinyl. It took patience but not nearly the amount had I sheeplove.gif with that airbox.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
StratPlayer
Looking good Kent... beerchug.gif
SKL1
I've got that vent in my '71- not sure I've ever felt anything come out of it!!Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.