Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caliper help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
camgraves3113
I just had a question, as i am new to my 1973 porsche 2.0 914. I am 18 and sorry if this is a dumb question but what size calipers can i buy and how do i know of they fit? I dont wamt the stock calipers and i would love to find a brembo or wilwood pair that fits the brackets and improve braking power. Again i am sorry if this is simple and dumb but i cant find/understand what i have read on this specific topic so far. Thank you so much piratenanner.gif
mepstein
Stock front struts really only fit stock 914 calipers. Look for 911 struts with 3 1/2' spacing if you really want/need to go bigger. You will also need 911 hubs which means five lug wheels. If you really want to do the big brake thing front and back, plan on a couple grand $.

Stock brakes are actually really good if you have a stock car. Make sure everything is in good shape and use good pads.

there are a couple other front calipers that fit on 914-4 but offer very little in "upgrade factor"
914Sixer
Go to the Classic Threads and read about brakes. Stock is all you need.
Mueller
I think Volvo 200 series 4 pot calipers have the same spacing, however they are cast steel and heavy and have a funky twin fed system.

For stock /4 calipers no kits that I know of. Rotors are too thin for most "upgraded" alloy calipers due to them being designed for wider rotors.

Break out the tape measure and CAD and design something smile.gif
falcor75
The Alfa Romeo 75 (Milan in the US) with the bigger engines had a Brembo aluminum caliper with a 48 mm piston thats i direct bolt on to the stock strut. I'm not sure what 4-bolt disc would work with it as I went with a 5 lug conversion on a 911 strut but with the 3 inch mounting distance on the caliper.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 9 2018, 09:42 PM) *

I think Volvo 200 series 4 pot calipers have the same spacing, however they are cast steel and heavy and have a funky twin fed system.

For stock /4 calipers no kits that I know of. Rotors are too thin for most "upgraded" alloy calipers due to them being designed for wider rotors.

The Volvo 4 pot calipers do have the same spacing and bolt right on... except you need a taller and thicker rotor which is only available for the 5 lug conversion. Last but not least - 13 lbs each, loaded. Ouch...
infraredcalvin
welcome.png

If your car is stock powered and stock body, a well maintained set of stock calipers and decent pads will lock up any tires you can make fit under the stock narrow fenders.

This question comes up several times a year, the group here can get a little testy when hearing it again, because most have been there, done that, and have written a bunch on this site on their findings. I may be jumping the gun on your original question, but I know “big brakes” and “more horsepower” sound super sexy, but it’s expensive and time consuming to get there.

Assuming you’re not made of $$$, there are much better places to start spending your hard earned cash on these cars.

I know the pedal feel is not at all awe inspiring, but you’ve got 4 wheel disks on a 70’s era car that weighs less than 2500 lbs wet. Let that sink in and go from there. Get a good set of stainless brake lines (dot approved), some good pads, and some good fluid (ate typ 200). Learn how to bleed the brake system (FULLY), and properly adjust the rear calipers. You should be able to lock the brakes easily.

If you still don’t like the feel (pedal too soft), move replace the master cylinder with a 19 mm MC. That will firm up the pedal.

Learn how to “heel toe” and watch some stock 914s carve up the twisties or compete in autocross.

Read everything you can from this site, there is not a better group of gearheads, who are willing to guide anyone who is willing to listen.
rick 918-S
welcome.png if your car sat for a while I would replace everything that moves. Fresh calipers, master cylinder and most important the rubber hoses. The hoses break down over time and swell up inside. The sludge migrates into the piston cavity. They can also cause a blockage in The line. Hence, poor brake performance. The fluid will condensate. Water in the brake system causes rust and a soft pedal. Water acts like a spring causing a spongy pedal. If you follow the video instructions the PMB web site on how to bed in the pads you will be impressed with the stopping power of the stock brakes.
mepstein
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 10 2018, 12:23 AM) *

The Alfa Romeo 75 (Milan in the US) with the bigger engines had a Brembo aluminum caliper with a 48 mm piston thats i direct bolt on to the stock strut. I'm not sure what 4-bolt disc would work with it as I went with a 5 lug conversion on a 911 strut but with the 3 inch mounting distance on the caliper.

The Alfa 3" Brembo's bolt on to an early 911 strut. They do not fit the 914-4 struts.
bdstone914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 10 2018, 06:55 AM) *

The Alfa 3" Brembo's bolt on to an early 911 strut. They do not fit the 914-4 struts.

agree.gif
If you really want to go with bigger calipers for a street car I would go with BMW 320i calipers from a 79-82 car. 48mm pistons. Direct bolt on to 1970-1972 cars and minor machining needed to fit them to later cars.
hermich
I have a set of the BMW calipers already machined to fit, with almost new Porterfield pads. They came off my '73, 2.0, when I started vintage racing had to go back to stock calipers. They have just been sitting collecting dust for the last couple of years. They are on my imaginary list of things I plan to sell some day. If you have any interest in going that route, e-mail me. Thanks.
camgraves3113
Thank you all so much! This has been so helpful to me:)
Dave_Darling
Brakes only stop the wheels from turning.

Tires stop the car.

If your brake system can lock up, the brakes cannot do anything more for you at that point.

Stock brakes in good working condition are pretty darned good.

PMB Performance is the absolute best place for 914 brakes.

--DD
914Toy
bdstone914's advice (post #10 here) is what I have with 19mm master cylinder. Plenty of brake with good feel in my 914-6 conversion. These BMW calipers are reasonably priced.
Justinp71
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 10 2018, 04:55 AM) *

Interesting, I never heard of this swap. Is this the caliper you speak of?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-Romeo-GTV6-75...7Zm&vxp=mtr
LowBridge
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 9 2018, 11:42 PM) *

the volvo is a hell no... the old PO did this swap..
ottox914
If you must upgrade and are keeping stock struts, I did the BMW 320 on the front and moved my fronts to the back. Added a 19mm m/c, adjustable proportioning valve, and SS braided lines. You do loose the e-brake doing this.

But. Rubber on the road stops you. Great tires on a well maintained and adjusted stock system should be fine for a majority of uses. Crap tires on my system would be a crap system with poor braking. Great tires on my system would be better still.
mepstein
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jan 10 2018, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 10 2018, 04:55 AM) *

Interesting, I never heard of this swap. Is this the caliper you speak of?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-Romeo-GTV6-75...7Zm&vxp=mtr

Yes. One of Eric Shea’s at pmb, favorite. I have a pair. It allows you to replace the heavy M caliper on a 3” - 911 strut with a lightweight caliper that has almost the same pad size of the alloy S caliper that fits 3 1/2” struts. A great bolt on conversion.
Eric_Shea
When you swap out various other calipers up front, without changing the rears, what does that do to your factory bias ratio? huh.gif
bandjoey
At one time someone made a master cylinder brace that was supposed to stop floorboard flex for a 'firmer' pedal. Anyone actually use one and results?
gothspeed
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 24 2018, 07:37 PM) *

At one time someone made a master cylinder brace that was supposed to stop floorboard flex for a 'firmer' pedal. Anyone actually use one and results?

Yes, was this reinforcement ever created?

Also, does a vented rotor 'caliper width spacer' kit exist for front stock late calipers?
burton73
Tangerine racing has one. I have it in my 6

Bob B
Dave_Darling
Also Original Customs made one. McMark should still have a video of how it works; you can see the flex without it and very little flex with it.

--DD
camgraves3113
This is them finished!!! I did it myself smile.gif
wndsrfr
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 24 2018, 07:37 PM) *

Got mine from McMark....
Mikey914
PMB has them in stock. I know because I made them for him.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 2 2018, 08:27 PM) *

PMB has them in stock. I know because I made them for him.

Good to know. I don’t remember seeing on his site
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.