Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Universal fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mxdude914
Can i go down to just some auto parts store and pick up any fuel pump or di i have to use an original type of one. If i can how easy would putting a universal one in be? has anyone done it? any pics?
seanery
facet makes a nice rotary pump. It's a little loud, but I like it because I can hear it. They have 2 versions, a low pressure for carbs or a higher pressure version for FI. Some FLAPS may have 'em or you can mail order them at many, many places.
smg914
Not if your 914 is still fuel injected.
I would stick with the correct pump made by Bosch.
ThinAir
Is this for a fuel injected Type IV, a carbed Type IV, a carbed 6? The answer will be different for each engine.

My own experience is with FI Type IV. I've had very good experience using a Bus style pump. There is only an inlet and outlet so you use a T to plumb the return line. Just make sure you get a real new or rebuilt Bosch pump. I bought a similar one from Summit Racing for about half the money and it was a waste of both time and money because it would not deliver sufficient fuel (even though it should have been able to).

This type of pump is available at the FLAPS that I deal with: Checker, Auto Zone.
fadler1
I was told that the pump on yours IS the Bus one.....same as the starter. I did both. agree.gif
lapuwali
You can use any pump that will deliver the flow and pressure required. Other people besides Bosch DO know how to make EFI fuel pumps.

You can run the return line straight from the center tunnel to the tank. No need for any Ys or Ts. Just run the outlet from the tank to the pump, and the outlet from the pump to the fuel rail.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (fadler1 @ May 31 2005, 02:17 PM)
I was told that the pump on yours IS the Bus one.....same as the starter. I did both. agree.gif

The bus pump, 75-79, Vanagon 83-91, and Bug, 75-79, will work fine in 914s with FI, and they're not expensive. You have to delete the "Y". BTW, Busses did NOT use the same starter as the 914, except for a few years with auto trans. Another myth, which doesn't seem to want to go away. The Cap'n
fadler1
Capt.....I swear that when I got the 914 one out of the Kragen computer, the shaft was the wrong length. When I took the old one in and went through the Kragen inventory, it was the BUS one that was the same. I really think it is one of those instances where depending on the serial number and the day and the amount of lager the Werner or Ernst were consuming at the cafeteria at lunch that these things were almost custom in the early years (70-71). It was that way with my 1987 924S. It was a conglomerate of leftover 944 parts versus my 1976 924.

Frederick
San Diego
ThinAir
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ May 31 2005, 04:06 PM)
You have to delete the "Y".

My memory of my installation was that I ran the return into a T with the supply hose. I think the theory was that the pump would have to draw less from the tank in the front of the car because the return fuel wouldn't be going all the way back to the tank. Why this was supposedly better I don't remember.

I've since moved my Bus style pump to the front so I'm just running a supply line into the pump, outlet from the pump to the engine, then return line from the engine straight back to the pump. No "T" or "Y" involved. It should work fine, but a bad CHT has prevented me from starting the new engine to know for sure! huh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (fadler1 @ May 31 2005, 03:19 PM)
Capt.....I swear that when I got the 914 one out of the Kragen computer, the shaft was the wrong length. When I took the old one in and went through the Kragen inventory, it was the BUS one that was the same. I really think it is one of those instances where depending on the serial number and the day and the amount of lager the Werner or Ernst were consuming at the cafeteria at lunch that these things were almost custom in the early years (70-71). It was that way with my 1987 924S. It was a conglomerate of leftover 944 parts versus my 1976 924.

Frederick
San Diego

Well, there you go, shopping at Kragen, home of guaranteed lowest prices, unless you look anywhere else ................. They hire mostly Bozos, have messed up catalogues, and don't know their a**. If the shaft was too long, or any visible length at all, it couldn't have been the right starter, because the shaft on a 914 starter is COMPLETELY internal. The Cap'n
redshift
Generally, I find FLAPS to have very iffy pacaking with respect to rebuilt parts... you could just has well ended up with a Caddy bumper, if it would fit in a box that said fuel pump...

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.