Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping Type IV Heads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
Getting ready to ship mine off for rebuild. Anyone shipped them recently and know the cheapest (but safe) way to ship? I don't even have a scale to weigh them but am hauling one into town this afternoon to get a weight and scope out boxes. But wondering how you experienced guys ship them.
Mblizzard
A couple extra layers of cardboard and the fit in a large USPS flat rate. Never had an issue but insure them.
ottox914
I have either double boxed them or used a much bigger box and lots of stuffing. Never had a problem.
bbrock
Thanks guys. I just got back from town and picked up a couple large flat rate boxes but forgot to take a head to weigh it. headbang.gif Anyone know what one weighs?

Anyway, yes, I can fit one head in a flat rate box but can't quite get both in one box. So two large flat rate boxes would cost $37.70 plus insurance to ship. I guessed the weight of a head at 15 lbs. and plugged some numbers into the UPS and FedEx online calculators, figuring for a box large enough to fit both heads with padding. All three options come out within $1 of each other for ground shipping and it seems there is some wiggle room in box size with the non-USPS options. So, if my weight guestimate is close, I think I'll go with one of those options so I can add more cushion for protection. The fit in the flat rate box is really tight. You'd think we'd have a bathroom scale around here, but we don't.
IronHillRestorations
I've cut cardboard about 4" wider than the head in strips long enough to roll up the head in 2-3 layers. That gives you 2" on either side of the head for cushion, and 3 layers of cardboard pads the head nicely. I'd probably ship one per box regardless.
bbrock
Thanks for all the advice guys. I wound up boxing them together in one box because I had a good sized box on hand and a bunch of heavy duty cotton batting packing material that my wife got in a package recently. Really good stuff that I'd never seen before. these suckers are well-padded.

Last question, how much insurance for two good 2.0L cores, old valve keepers, and a set of NOS OEM valve springs and guides? I'm thinking $800 for the lot, but that might be a bit high. confused24.gif
914Sixer
Price sounds good.
mihai914
Sorry I'm late to the party but I came across this and thought it would be useful to add to your thread for future reference.

https://newsite.hamheads.com/2016/11/23/how...s-for-shipping/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.