Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Watch/monitor/treat that gas.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
I ripped and shredded my meniscus last winter, making driving a clutch not a lot of fun. I took the car out maybe 2-3 times between March and when I finally got my knee fixed in August. Then there was recovery. in late Sept I decided it would be fun to take the girls to school in the car. This car has always started on a dime and run pretty effortlessly.

Car started, ran rough, then *kinda* cleaned itself out - but still was not driving well. On the way home, it was hesitating and popping out of the exhaust.

I cleaned the idle and main jets, changed the fuel filters, re-baselined/tuned the carbs and was making little progress. Car has an electronic ignition and I was getting good spark. Car had 3/4 of a tank of gas that was probably 120 days old - but it smelled fine. Decided to go at it again over the holiday break. Decided to blow out all of the fuel lines - so I therefore needed to drain the tank.....

I 'll bet there was 8-10 oz of water that came out before the gas itself.

Everything is cleaned up, another set of new filters, and some fresh gas. fired right up.

That'll teach me... I hope...

Treat that gas!
JamesM
I consider myself very lucky to have 2 gas stations with 88 ethanol free within a mile of my house.
PlaysWithCars
Yep. Ethanol free for me too in any of the cars that spend time sitting. Not worth the hassle you had to go through and the ethanol is hard on the old rubber parts that weren't made to deal with it.

www.pure-gas.org
StratPlayer
My car is stored with ethanol free gas. Lucky there's a station nearby that sells that kind of gas.
GeorgeRud
Even with ethanol free, I feel better using some Marine Sta-Bil as well for our winter storage months. If it really would inhibit rusting in the tank, i’d Just use the Sta-Bil and keep the tank close to empty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.