Full Version: Look like the right list of bits for a 914/6 build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mb911
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 8 2018, 04:42 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 8 2018, 05:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 8 2018, 06:09 PM) *

OK - time for an update here.

I've decided to run 3.2 so that changes some things.

One open item is where to source the bellhousing mounted throttle cable assembly.

Stock clutch cable is OK, right?

I’m using the stock clutch cable. Contact Rich - A914guy@aol.com He is the guy who makes the throttle bellcrank with an adaptor to bolt onto your stock 914 trans. He includes the 914-6 cable and correct shaft to connect the bellcrank to the throttle plate. You either need to modify the small ball connector on the throttle plate arm to the other side of the arm (my guy did it in 5 minutes) or buy a kit to do it from Sierra Madre. It’s a very easy mod but easier when the engine is out of the car.

Thank you, I just emailed Rich.

Ben, let's get the oil tank sorted out first before you spend anymore of my money!

When ever your ready. Let me know when you want to place the order.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 8 2018, 07:05 PM) *

You don’t need a custom engine harnes with a 3.2, you can buy the PMS harness adaptor. ~$180. It allows you to just plug the engine to the chassis harness.

Read this classic thread on upgrading your drivetrain. You will need bigger cv’s for these bigger engines. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91963

Thanks, I goofed on my update in that were redundant items for the harness, I did list the PMS adapter after we spoke. (Thanks)

What is the scoop on the axles? Is there a go to part? 911 bits?

None of this is theoretical anymore-I dropped the engine off at the shop yesterday. Gulp.

Tdskip
Good morning.

I have made pretty good progress on getting the bits together, lots of smaller things but last “bigger” items are front oil cooler and lines.

Any ideas on a good, but reasonably priced, front oil cooler?

Thanks!
Cairo94507
Outstanding progress on getting all of your parts together and getting the engine sorted for installation. beerchug.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 9 2018, 09:40 AM) *

Outstanding progress on getting all of your parts together and getting the engine sorted for installation. beerchug.gif

Good morning, it's been fun and very gratifying watching your build progress.

Back to my car, I have loads of work to do still, having the parts does not equal having them installed! Grin.

My work plan is to try to assemble everything and then spend a focused amount of time doing the welding, body bracing, and the limited metal repair work that is in front of me. Doing all that with an empty engine bay seems to make a lot of sense.

The biggest variable is if the 3.2 L engine I picked up for Ethan is as healthy as it appeared to be. If it is healthy things will go relatively quickly once the transmission is ready courtesy of the tech day with Dr. Evil, if not I'm going to jump out a window ( not sure how many stories up yet).
mb911
Let me know what you decided on headers or heatexchangers. I have them on sale this week..
GeorgeRud
Ben should have oil cooler lines and ducting for you as well. Should be a great car when completed!
Larmo63
Did this build go over the cliff?

What happened here? WTF.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 30 2019, 10:08 PM) *

Did this build go over the cliff?

What happened here? WTF.gif

@Larmo63 , not over a cliff just deferred due to my buying a kind of silly number of other 914s. I also had to focus time/resources on two builds for charity events (Copper State 1000 Alfa GTV and pending Copper State Overland FJ40).

I picked up a muffler for the build this week and plan to coordinate with Ben in a couple months to make some more progress.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Oh, and I had my 2002Tii engine rebuild.

And bought a Lotus Elan project because, well, it is a Lotus Elan.Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Dusting this off as I don't believe I asked about which starter to use.

Standard 911 starter I assume? Rebuilt OEM off my '74 3.2L 911 should be OK, yes?

To round out the question - since there is a change in part number for 2.7l+ later engines correct that an earlier 2.0 - 2.4 long hood uses a different starter?

Thanks!
mepstein
Yes. I would have the one with the engine checked and rebuilt if needed. A rebuild is usually a cheap preventative and you will know it fits properly vs buying a reman unit.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2020, 02:33 PM) *

Yes. I would have the one with the engine checked and rebuilt if needed. A rebuild is usually a cheap preventative and you will know it fits properly vs buying a reman unit.

Good coaching, will do exactly that.

Thanks
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jul 12 2019, 06:13 AM) *

Oh, and I had my 2002Tii engine rebuild.

And bought a Lotus Elan project because, well, it is a Lotus Elan.Click to view attachment

Is that a Europa peeking out?
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 11 2020, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2020, 02:33 PM) *

Good coaching, will do exactly that.

Thanks

I did that many times along with the alternators for the shops builds. Way easier to do before the engine goes in the car, especially the alternator in a 914-6.
Tdskip
Been a while but getting serious about getting the 3.2l in.

Welding in the Naro engine mount tomorrow, but before that need to get the oil tank holes cut.

I need to double check these against the actual tank from Ben but here are the sizes I found;

4.25" for the oil filter
2" for the breather hoses
2.5" for the filler neck

Any tips before I make the cuts? Gulp....
porschetub
Good to see you are getting on with it biggrin.gif ,someone on here must have a template or measurements ,the filter console one is the most important on to get right as the rubber seal is hard to fit,in my case I bought the URO version and thought the fit was poor but turned out the OP was out with his drilling,got it sorted but a bit of a hassle.....lucky as my engine wasn't fitted then.
Donor car looks good .
Tdskip
Thanks mate, appreciate the response.

I’ve seen mention of a template, let me see if I can track it down.

Those sizes look about right?

BTW - went to install the Elan engine/gearbox today and I’ll just say I’d rather install 10 914 power trains instead of one Elan unit.
Mark Henry
Dan Roots template that I used, set printer at 8.5 X 11"

I found the big holes were a hair off, or at least my hole saw was off. Best to print this out and then check on the tank before cutting.

You also have to cut a hole in the engine tray for the bottom tank return/inlet). I did this by measuring and a bit of dead reckoning.

IPB Image
Mark Henry
dp
Tdskip
Thank you Mark!
Tdskip
Got some good news today, the shop going through the 3.2L for me did a valve adjustment and I’ve got good leak down (cold) the board. Expect that they will improve some one it is run some.

Still debating what to do about the Naro mount.
nditiz1
Thats great news.

Sell the Naro and get the OEM style.
Tdskip
It’s in.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.