Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Took the Chalon for a drive today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Mark came over today to visit and we decided to go back to his house for a little while, I decided to test out the Chalon a little further away from home and see how she would do. Aside from the strange noise when I accelerate, it ran perfectly and stayed an even temperature all the way there and back. It makes a very loud and stong grinding noise when I give it gas. Light acceleration isnt bad but when you push it down to go, it grinds and you can feel it up in the pedal cluster. Took Elliot for a ride and he isnt sure what it is either. He says it is coming from the rear. I feel it in the pedals and it sounds like it is coming fromt he front. Since there is nothing it can come from in the front, it must be the rear. Could it be the gears in the tranny trying to come apart? Seperating at the intermediate plate? If it were the clutch, it would do it as soon as I let the clutch out. But it only does in on moderate acceleration. Any ideas? I have the new tranny to install yet, I just have not had a chance to get it to the muffler shop to have them make the muffler removeable. Just thought I would ask here and see if anyone had an idea of what it could be. The more gas I give it, the louder and harder the noise is. It does not go with the RPM's of the engine, more the speed of the car. Does that make sense?
mihai914
CV joints maybe, giving gas does put them under more stress especially with that kind of an engine.

Mihai
Tom Perso
CV's or diff... That's all I can come up with. If you've got some extra CV's laying around (doesn't everone???) swap 'em out and see what happens...

Double-triple the torque and you weak links will begin to shine.... unsure.gif

Tom
Rusty
Hello, my friend... I'm just happy to hear that the Chalon was on the road.

You should be very proud! smile.gif

-Lawrence
Aaron Cox
so ya got the fool pump sorted eh?
Allan
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ May 30 2005, 07:03 PM)
so ya got the fool pump sorted eh?

ar15.gif beerchug.gif sawzall-smiley.gif ohmy.gif sad.gif beerchug.gif

Scarey huh???...........

Aaron you are fun..............
Aaron Cox
Que huh.gif

no habla ingles smoke.gif
bondo
Didn't you fix your clutch/flywheel interference problem by adjusting it out with the cable? What if the engine shifts enough under acceleration to undo that? (I would imagine that whatever would make an engine crank slowly would cause a mean grinding noise at speed)
skline
Well, I have ruled out the clutch. The CV's however is an excellent possibility. The Diff also. The fuel pump issue was caused by a bad relay. Mark was here and we did some troubleshooting and found it. I will change out the CV's when I change out the trans. Maybe next week. It all depends on my schedule. Thanks for the tips guys, I didnt think of the CV joints. Would it only do it under acceleration? Wouldnt it do it all the time? Like when I let off the gas? I am in quite a quandry now.
914GT
Scott,

Could there be something going on with the engine not having enough clearance, and when you accelerate its moving on the motor mounts and rubbing/vibrating against the body? Might be worth a good visual check all around. Maybe it's not that kind of noise though.
skline
Guy, I did think of that too. I got underneath the car and looked everywhere it could possibly hit or rub. There is more than an inch clearance around every moving part on the motor. More in most places but the least amount was about and inch or so. I cut the lip on the firewall when I first put the engine in to be sure. Today I had Elliot look back and see if it was moving, Mark too. Its not moving enough for anything on the engine to hit. Maybe I should have someone ride on the trunk looking down inside the engine compartment when I drive. Is there any crazy volunteers for that? Keeping in mind, it only does it when I accelerate. ohmy.gif
rick 918-S
What kind of mounts do you have? The torque could be causing enough of a shift in the drive line to cause something to rub. Pulley, half shaft on the exhaust, etc... Look for fresh marks on things that spin. driving.gif Also chek for a loose rear wheel bearing causing the wheel to rub on the caliper or something. Great to here you got to have a road trip/ aktion035.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ May 30 2005, 07:38 PM)
Guy, I did think of that too. I got underneath the car and looked everywhere it could possibly hit or rub. There is more than an inch clearance around every moving part on the motor. More in most places but the least amount was about and inch or so. I cut the lip on the firewall when I first put the engine in to be sure. Today I had Elliot look back and see if it was moving, Mark too. Its not moving enough for anything on the engine to hit. Maybe I should have someone ride on the trunk looking down inside the engine compartment when I drive. Is there any crazy volunteers for that? Keeping in mind, it only does it when I accelerate. ohmy.gif

ill be a trunk munky biggrin.gif
skline
What is the best way to test the CV joints? Is there a sure way to check to see if they are bad? If they are bad, I have another complete set of axles with CV's I can install when I change out the trans this week. If they are bad, the new ones wont last very long either so I am going to have to look into getting the ones from Renegade. I am just having a hard time mustering up $800 for a set of axles. That just seems like an awful lot of money. See, I am a 914 owner. CSOB.
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ May 30 2005, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (skline @ May 30 2005, 07:38 PM)
Guy, I did think of that too. I got underneath the car and looked everywhere it could possibly hit or rub. There is more than an inch clearance around every moving part on the motor. More in most places but the least amount was about and inch or so. I cut the lip on the firewall when I first put the engine in to be sure. Today I had Elliot look back and see if it was moving, Mark too. Its not moving enough for anything on the engine to hit. Maybe I should have someone ride on the trunk looking down inside the engine compartment when I drive. Is there any crazy volunteers for that? Keeping in mind, it only does it when I accelerate.  :o

ill be a trunk munky biggrin.gif

Congradulations! You ARE a trunk munkey! monkeydance.gif
cheers, Elliot
ewdysar
When my car went back on the road, I was getting alot of clatter on decelleration. Turned out it was the driver's valve cover pressing against the firewall. A little BP hammer work (on the firewall) and the noise went away. For accel, check for torque movement, maybe even tranny movement, metal to metal contact can transmit normal mechanical noise into something scary...

Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.