Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about multi-gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carl k
I am removing the console from my 1974. The car currently has a multi-gauge with just the fuel gauge (because the temp gauge was in the console). I think this is the correct replacement multi-gauge which incorporates the temp gauge:

Click to view attachment

Should there be existing wiring behind the dash for the temp gauge? Or do I have to run a wire myself?

What is the orange/yellow indicator for? I think the bulb holder behind it is just for gauge illumination.

thanks!
Carl
JeffBowlsby
Specail wire for that, from the console floor area connection to the gauge.
Tom_T
QUOTE(carl k @ Jan 16 2018, 11:23 PM) *

I am removing the console from my 1974. The car currently has a multi-gauge with just the fuel gauge (because the temp gauge was in the console). I think this is the correct replacement multi-gauge which incorporates the temp gauge:

Click to view attachment

Should there be existing wiring behind the dash for the temp gauge? Or do I have to run a wire myself?

What is the orange/yellow indicator for? I think the bulb holder behind it is just for gauge illumination.

thanks!
Carl

The multi-gauge for your 74 should have the wide red band type of OT gauge - not the narrow band as shown in your pic.

You can see good illustrations of which equipment went on which MYs & paint colors on actual cars, etc. at p914.com (& .net & .org).

Jeff covered the wire, & he may also have the proper wire with connectors through his 914 harness business - so PM him for that, or suggestions on where to find &/or what parts to get where to build one yourself.

Save your center console if it was original to your 914, since it adds value to have all of the proper OE equipment intact &/or on-hand stored.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
barefoot
The yellow indicator had to do with catalytic converter over-temperature warning, not sure if ever used
Dave_Darling
Nope, the yellow one was never used. On the Six gauges it was evidently some kind of warning for the Sporto transmission (very very rare option), but never used at all on the four-cylinder cars.

The Cat and EGR lights were on the gauge plate next to the tach, not inside any of the gauges.

--DD
carl k
Jeff-

I found the special wire you mentioned, it ran from the multi-gauge down behind the pedal board and to the console. I think it was green with black bands.

I am switching my console between two cars so I had to switch the multi-gauges (and that wire). Luckily both are '74's.

Thanks for the explanation of the "yellow dot".

regards,
Carl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.