Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission rebuilders in SoCal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning, hoping to get a recommendation on a transmission go-to person or shop. My project 914/6 she’ll came with a 901 with only a little bit of history. Apparently the box is in overall good condition but the 2nd gear synchro is a bit weak.

I’d like to address that now while everything is apart.

I’m also game to give it a go myself if this is something I can/should do myself.

Thanks in advance for the coaching.
76-914
Easily done. Buy Dr. Evils video and get after it. beerchug.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 17 2018, 09:17 AM) *

Let me seek out this Dr Evil video.

Nice quotes in your signature BTW.
76-914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 17 2018, 07:20 AM) *

Here is the link, http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry1402767
Tdskip
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 17 2018, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 17 2018, 07:20 AM) *

Here is the link, http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry1402767

Thank you-just sent him a PM to order the video.
marksteinhilber
Bill Brewster rebuilt our 901 gearbox very nicely. Carry in, carry out. About $2000 including at least one slider $400+ and all synchros, etc. They also made adjustments and test drove after we reinstalled for that price. Couple week turnaround, but that was a few years ago.

Or order Dr Evils video. Sliders and synchros were available from Pelican last I checked.
Tdskip
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Jan 17 2018, 02:39 PM) *

Bill Brewster rebuilt our 901 gearbox very nicely. Carry in, carry out. About $2000 including at least one slider $400+ and all synchros, etc. They also made adjustments and test drove after we reinstalled for that price. Couple week turnaround, but that was a few years ago.

Or order Dr Evils video. Sliders and synchros were available from Pelican last I checked.

Ah yes, Mr Brewster. Good people, they are settling in to their new place in OR. He did a great job on my 3.2 top end.

Will order the video and give it a go.

Thanks!

914_7T3
Just picked mine up this morning from Kevin at KCR in Riverside. Very reasonable and easy to work with. He provided me a list of parts required that I was able to source as Genuine Porsche.

Click to view attachment
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 17 2018, 12:56 PM) *

Ah yes, Mr Brewster. Good people, they are settling in to their new place in OR. He did a great job on my 3.2 top end.

Thanks!

Are they moving to OR? They are still working out of a San Clemente location... Mark
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Jan 17 2018, 01:09 PM) *

Just picked mine up this morning from Kevin at KCR in Riverside. Very reasonable and easy to work with. He provided me a list of parts required that I was able to source as Genuine Porsche.

Click to view attachment

Can you send me contact info for KCR in Riverside?
914_7T3
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Jan 17 2018, 01:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Ask for Kevin.

http://kcrtransmissions.com/
Tdskip
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Jan 17 2018, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 17 2018, 12:56 PM) *

Thanks!

Are they moving to OR? They are still working out of a San Clemente location... Mark

I would ping Bill for the details
Tdskip
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Jan 17 2018, 03:09 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That looks tasty!

Did they do all of the work?
Tdskip
These guys,

http://kcrtransmissions.com
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Jan 17 2018, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Jan 17 2018, 01:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Ask for Kevin.

http://kcrtransmissions.com/

Thanks, nice KCR website. Looks like a great source for 901 rebuilds in SoCal!
914_7T3
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 17 2018, 01:18 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That looks tasty!

Yes,however I sourced the Genuine Porsche parts direct and took the empty case to J&P Precision deburring in Chatsworth to be media blasted in a tumbler. The case is the original magnesium with the pores closed from the tumble blast process. There is absolutely no coating, paint or finish of any kind on the case. Over time it will darken just as it did when it left the factory 44 years ago.

For more details please reference my build thread

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=308753

mb911
That looks really cool..
Dr Evil
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Jan 17 2018, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 17 2018, 01:18 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That looks tasty!

Yes,however I sourced the Genuine Porsche parts direct and took the empty case to J&P Precision deburring in Chatsworth to be media blasted in a tumbler. The case is the original magnesium with the pores closed from the tumble blast process. There is absolutely no coating, paint or finish of any kind on the case. Over time it will darken just as it did when it left the factory 44 years ago.

For more details please reference my build thread

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=308753

Looks nice, but is that sealant poking out of the seals for the tail cone and intermediate plate? Big no no.
oldie914
I agree with Dr Evil.
Looks like silicone sealer which builds up the gasket thickness. The gasket under the intermediate plate determines the pinion depth. Using silicone sealer increases the gasket thickness which negates the depth adjustment done without sealer.
You should only use sealer that soaks into the gasket. I use Locktite 574 or similar.
Dr Evil
I do not use any sealant as it is not needed and is not indicated by the OEM manual. Never had an issue in over 300 builds.
eric914
After all the time Dr. Evil and I spent setting the pinion depth i can not imagine putting a bunch of sealant between those two surfaces to mess it all up.
914_7T3
QUOTE(oldie914 @ Jan 18 2018, 12:17 PM) *

I agree with Dr Evil.
Looks like silicone sealer which builds up the gasket thickness. The gasket under the intermediate plate determines the pinion depth. Using silicone sealer increases the gasket thickness which negates the depth adjustment done without sealer.
You should only use sealer that soaks into the gasket. I use Locktite 574 or similar.

Product used here is Three Bond silicone liquid gasket for engines and gearboxes. Product dries flat and does not affect pinion depth.
ablesnead
....Is that even possible ?...A dimensionless sealant....
914_teener
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Jan 18 2018, 04:48 PM) *

I agree with Dr Evil.

Product used here is Three Bond silicone liquid gasket for engines and gearboxes. Product dries flat and does not affect pinion depth.

Man......if Capn Krusty was here....and in a way he is..... bs.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Jan 18 2018, 07:48 PM) *

I agree with Dr Evil.

Still not necessary, not recommended in the factory manual, and I don't use any.

Dimensionless sealant? Reminds me of the time long ago when I was putting some roll on sound deadener in my car and a guy said it would add 400#...the bucket, mixed, was 40#. Magic wink.gif

I will add this, though, the spec is +/- 0.03mm and the used ring and pinions are not as tight as 40 yrs ago (hey, none of us are). They tolerate a lot of slop in setting, I have seen it/done it in the beginning. However, correct is still correct and sealant is an attempt at improving on something that does not need it. Leaks happen from the rubber seals 99% of the time. If it leaks from the paper, that's a bad sign and a case needing truing.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 22 2018, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Jan 18 2018, 07:48 PM) *

I agree with Dr Evil.

Still not necessary, not recommended in the factory manual, and I don't use any.

Dimensionless sealant? Reminds me of the time long ago when I was putting some roll on sound deadener in my car and a guy said it would add 400#...the bucket, mixed, was 40#. Magic wink.gif

I will add this, though, the spec is +/- 0.03mm and the used ring and pinions are not as tight as 40 yrs ago (hey, none of us are). They tolerate a lot of slop in setting, I have seen it/done it in the beginning. However, correct is still correct and sealant is an attempt at improving on something that does not need it. Leaks happen from the rubber seals 99% of the time. If it leaks from the paper, that's a bad sign and a case needing truing.

Appreciate the perspective based on your experience.
mb911
I used 3bond for the 1st time this winter.. It has a following among engine builders.. I typically had used loctite 574 but this came highly recommended.. I did wonder about clearence after but no way for me to know..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.