Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 914 holds it's own at Nurbering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
It actually holds on better than most, some of these crashes are cringeworthy!!!

https://www.facebook.com/candscmagazine/vid...Dd7JqInay2UFjgQ

KELTY360
I've rolled a 2002 a couple of times, but this makes me wonder; what does it take to roll a 914? Anybody here done it? And willing to admit it?
sithot
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 17 2018, 11:43 AM) *

It actually holds on better than most, some of these crashes are cringeworthy!!!

https://www.facebook.com/candscmagazine/vid...Dd7JqInay2UFjgQ

Seat belts: Optional. Change of underwear: Mandatory.
1adam12
Wow, open track days looked awesome back then! "Hold My Bier"
bretth
Run what ya brung driving-girl.gif At least they don't seem prone to flipping like the beetles and 2002s here.
second wind
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 17 2018, 08:53 AM) *

I've rolled a 2002 a couple of times, but this makes me wonder; what does it take to roll a 914? Anybody here done it? And willing to admit it?

I hate to admit it but I rolled my 914/6 11 days after I got it in 1977 in Boulder Colorado. Being only 19 years old and really a poor driver I was going way to fast for an uphill left hand sweeper. The shoulder was down sloping dirt. Evidently the car rolled in air and landed on it's tires. Very light damage to roll bar and car was restored. My biggest concern was breaking the rear window with defroster. Once repaired I drove for years back and forth from Colorado to Los Angeles. Those were great drives. Bought car for $4,000 and sold it for $6,000.
gg
Elliot Cannon
This video gets posted every few years. I was at Nurburgring about 12 years ago. They told us then that at least one motorcyclist dies at the ring every month. Or was it every week. dry.gif confused24.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 17 2018, 01:53 PM) *

Bob Russ
r_towle
Paperwork flying out of the car, one guy jumped out of his beetle, good thing it did not keep rolling or he would have been under it.

That was too funny, no seatbelt or helmets...and the beetle convertible...to scary looking.

falcor75
Yeah I was just thinking the same that Beetle convertible could have ended really badly....
VaccaRabite
If its the video I think it is, some of those crashes had to end poorly for the people "in" the car.

Zach
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 17 2018, 08:53 AM) *
what does it take to roll a 914? Anybody here done it? And willing to admit it?

I know three people who have rolled 914s. Two were at Sears Point, one was a Riverside. (Actually, I never met the driver of the latter; just her ex-husband, who owned the car.)

Two were driving errors. One was a relatively-inexperienced person at a time trial who pushed too hard and went off track, and one was someone trying to show off during the warm-up lap for his club-level race.

One was the result of equipment failure. The car's owner blamed a Weltmeister sway-bar install for failing and sending the car off-track and up an embankment.

--DD
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 17 2018, 10:19 PM) *

Yeah I was just thinking the same that Beetle convertible could have ended really badly....

Yeah, but did you see how much better it handled a skid compared to the earlier Beetles with swing arm rear suspension? It was a clear demonstration of the handling improvement the IRS suspension made.
NeunEinVier
WTH what were people in the convertible Beetle thinking....

And why put a sloped curb on the outside of that corner? Several of the rolls could have been harmless slides instead.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 18 2018, 10:51 AM) *

(Actually, I never met the driver of the latter; just her ex-husband, who owned the car.)

--DD

Pretty sure you and I heard that story together in NV. IIRC, she hit a curb and sent her over, but that was years ago and it's all a bit fuzzzzzy.
tomh
Now that's a cool video,reminds me of driving the pass to Santa Cruz from my house when I was a kid in the mid 70's
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jan 19 2018, 10:40 AM) *
Pretty sure you and I heard that story together in NV. IIRC, she hit a curb and sent her over, but that was years ago and it's all a bit fuzzzzzy.

Yup. I believe we had heard it before that in other places as well. The owner blamed a failure of hardware from a Weltmeister sway bar kit for the off-track excursion that sent it over.

--DD
sixnotfour
there was another six rollover on one of the Pelican drives years ago,,yellow 914-6 ,,,
SixerJ
If I had to be in one of those cars, I would choose the beetle. Roof stand up well even in double rolls......

That's also just one corner. Imagine the car park afterwards! Scrap and cut'n'shut merchants must have been rubbing their hands with glee on the run up to those events
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.