Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: Rare AM FM Stereo Sapphire Radio $349 shipped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
914Sixer
Back up for sale is one of the cleanest radios I have had. Has NOS 70-74 face plate. Radio looks brand new when installed. It is ready to go. $349 shipped

Paypal a914nut@email.com

Radio Model # 5VW3608
smg914
What year(s) is this blacked out bezel radio correct? Have a good friend here in Tampa that has a mostly original 73 2 liter with an Alpine radio installed and is looking for a correct radio. I'm thinking your radio may be for a 75/76 914. Any input would be appreciated. If we determine it is correct for a 1973, considered it sold.
914Sixer
I did some digging on the radio. Sapphire radio's with the rocker T & C switch on right side and am fm slider bar were introduced in 1972. So this radio later than that because it has the push button. I found no indication when the 5VW3608 started. I did find that the 5VW4400's were made in Nov 1974. So, I can tell the radio is in the 73-74 range.

Since it does not have a sapphire radio number at the top in was only used in Porsche and Audi's. I am guessing that is why it blacked out. Checked info at theSamba, Old Volks Home and vwradios.
Mike Fitton
That faceplate is good for your '73 car and that model radio was available '72-'75 so it would be a correct dealer option for 1973. It is a rare stereo version as most Sapphire's were mono version since most VW's had 1 speaker on the dash.
smg914
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jan 19 2018, 06:39 AM) *

That faceplate is good for your '73 car and that model radio was available '72-'75 so it would be a correct dealer option for 1973. It is a rare stereo version as most Sapphire's were mono version since most VW's had 1 speaker on the dash.

Thanks Mike. The all black (no chrome/silver) had me concerned. Being a stereo version may be the only difference then the silver mono version that was more common in 73/74. Probably because they cost less.
Anyone else have an opinion? I just want to be positive before I purchase this radio for my friends 914. He's relying on me to get him the correct radio.
914Sixer
The face plate is OE that I got from AutoAtlanta.
smg914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 19 2018, 07:45 AM) *

The face plate is OE that I got from AutoAtlanta.

Are you telling me that your face plate is just a black version of the one in the photo below? In other words, if I felt it needed the silver bezel, He could just swap out the face plate.
914Sixer
Yes just swap the bezel. Please note the bezel shown is for an earlier radio. It has the rocker switch version, not the button hole. Also the wiring kit is for the earlier 3 wire radio too. This is a four wire radio. Speakers would be ok.
914Sixer
Sold to Bill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.