Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail Panel Repair Advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
defianty
My car suffered rot above the door handles and at the base of the sail panel. The metal left above the handles was rotten, very thin and the seam sealer had failed. So I've ordered two replacement sail panels. They'll be with me on Monday.

Here's where I am right now. Both sides look almost identical.

IPB Image

Now do I leave the rest of the sail panel I have and patch in from the replacement panel or do I remove the sail panel completely and replace? Grateful for any advice on the proper procedure.

Thanks.
914Sixer
I would say replace the whole panel. You are already there. Rust never sleeps.
mepstein
If the inside of the sail panel is clean, keep it. If its rusty, replace. Origional will always fit better, Once you get out that piece of foam and coat the metal, it should stay rust free.
IronHillRestorations
I ran into a similar situation, where I thought I could make a small patch. After digging in deeper, I'm replacing the whole sail panel, as it will make for a neater repair.

I originally cut mine about 6" above your cut, and now with replacing the whole panel, it's going to be easier to mitigate future rust. The tricky part is getting the weather seal channels in the proper location, so measure, re-measure, and measure again.
defianty
Keep it 2 Replace it 1.

I should have done a poll. laugh.gif

Appreciate the comments guys.

I'll see what the general consensus is and go from there. As Mepstein suggests it is actually really clean there and that was what made me think to keep the panel and cut a patch from the new panel. But at the same time I think replacing it is the better option as Perry advocates, but measuring will be essential as always. That scares me a little, specially as I wont know if everything will fit correctly until after paint.

Perry: My loom finally made it through UK customs today. I should have it early next week.
Cairo94507
Defianty - Check out my build thread to see what Kent found under my sail panel...I vote for remove and replace whole.
bbrock
I'll add a vote for remove and replace, but agree it is a tough call. The outer sail panel is pretty easy to remove which gives you great access to the guts to address any rust in there. My RD replacement panels fit great. The only difference I can see with the original is that the contours around the door handle are a little less crisp compared with original. But you will be replacing that section regardless. Normally, I strive to keep as much of the original metal as possible, but having gone through the removal and dry fitting (haven't welded mine in yet) of this repair, I'd be inclined to replace the whole panel.
defianty
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 19 2018, 02:41 PM) *

I'll add a vote for remove and replace, but agree it is a tough call. The outer sail panel is pretty easy to remove which gives you great access to the guts to address any rust in there. My RD replacement panels fit great. The only difference I can see with the original is that the contours around the door handle are a little less crisp compared with original. But you will be replacing that section regardless. Normally, I strive to keep as much of the original metal as possible, but having gone through the removal and dry fitting (haven't welded mine in yet) of this repair, I'd be inclined to replace the whole panel.

Exactly my thoughts Brent and on that I think you've swayed me over to the replace side. biggrin.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(defianty @ Jan 19 2018, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 19 2018, 02:41 PM) *

Exactly my thoughts Brent and on that I think you've swayed me over to the replace side. biggrin.gif

Uh, oh... now it's my fault yikes.gif But replacing those panels will be a snap compared to the repairs you've been doing. Amazing work. beerchug.gif
mgphoto
I just repaired the rust, cut mid panel and welded from there.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Kept the fender alignment with relation to the door jamb and wheel arch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.