Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Latest -6 engine sheet metal fab project.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
So I have been thinking through the fab process for some of the engine sheet metal and this was the result of version 1.0.. Gonna work it next week more.Click to view attachment
914Toy
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 19 2018, 02:26 PM) *

So I have been thinking through the fab process for some of the engine sheet metal and this was the result of version 1.0.. Gonna work it next week more.Click to view attachment

I want one of these front tin pieces - looking forward to availability.
GeorgeRud
Looks good. Perhaps consider making them with or without slots for the pressure fed tensioners (or are there any new conversions that aren’t running pressure fed tensioners anymore?).
mb911
QUOTE(914Toy @ Jan 19 2018, 02:31 PM) *

Do you only need the front piece?
jcd914
I love all the stuff you are making and enjoy seeing the workmanship.

Restoration Design just started reproducing the 914/6 engine sheet metal but it won't account for pressure fed pensioners.

Jim

RD sheet metal
914Toy
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 19 2018, 03:10 PM) *

QUOTE(914Toy @ Jan 19 2018, 02:31 PM) *

Do you only need the front piece?

Yes, only the front piece.
mb911
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jan 19 2018, 05:17 PM) *

Restoration Design just started reproducing the 914/6 engine sheet metal but it won't account for pressure fed pensioners.

Jim

RD sheet metal

The RD parts are amazing.. I don't consider what I doing is really competitive to their products as there's are better then oem. Mine are more like the old GPR stuff .. If I were building perfect clone of a -6 I would use the RD stuff myself. My sheet metal is more for the average home built -6 conversion..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 20 2018, 08:59 AM) *

Jim

RD sheet metal

The RD parts are amazing.. I don't consider what I doing is really competitive to their products as there's are better then oem. Mine are more like the old GPR stuff .. If I were building perfect clone of a -6 I would use the RD stuff myself. My sheet metal is more for the average home built -6 conversion..

Also would be great for someone doing a 3.6 since it takes a lot of fab on the tin. No reason to use RD just to cut and weld.

Ben used my OEM tin to make his pieces so it should fit well. Its not a copy of a copy.
worn
I did something similar by hammer forming the arch on a wooden buck. Real challenge - but fun.
forrestkhaag
Did mine in carbon fiber. Strong yet flexible
beerchug.gif
infraredcalvin
I want this! agree.gif
worn
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jan 20 2018, 09:20 AM) *

I want this! agree.gif

agree.gif
peteyd

Jim

RD sheet metal

Pardon the hijack,

All you have to do is trim a bit of sheet metal so the hydraulic line passes through. I did it on the engine I test fit all the tins

Pete
mb911
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jan 20 2018, 02:09 PM) *

Jim

RD sheet metal

Pardon the hijack,

All you have to do is trim a bit of sheet metal so the hydraulic line passes through. I did it on the engine I test fit all the tins

Pete

No worries regarding hijack.. And yes your right on re triming.. Also I will reiterate your parts by far exceed oem specs .. Nothing but respect from me..
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 19 2018, 03:26 PM) *

Hello: Ive been through hell with my conversion, please tell me where I can buy or get a template for the 914/6 engine tin .I have a 3.0 Im told the 3.0 and 3.2 tin dont work at all with the 914/6
If you can send a template trace of the tin I'll pay you or if you fab I'll pay for that.
Best regards Phil
mb911
QUOTE(Phil Plummer @ Jan 21 2018, 08:02 PM) *

Hello: Ive been through hell with my conversion, please tell me where I can buy or get a template for the 914/6 engine tin .I have a 3.0 Im told the 3.0 and 3.2 tin dont work at all with the 914/6
If you can send a template trace of the tin I'll pay you or if you fab I'll pay for that.
Best regards Phil

Phil. Restoration design is your best bet for the sheet metal.. Mine are not ready and won't be fore a while. The restoration design sheet metal is so nice its almost to nice to put on a car..

My sheet metal is part of what I have beem working on for a while which will be a master kit for a conversion including everything needed to complete a conversion to a six..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 22 2018, 09:14 AM) *

Best regards Phil

Phil. Restoration design is your best bet for the sheet metal.. Mine are not ready and won't be fore a while. The restoration design sheet metal is so nice its almost to nice to put on a car..

My sheet metal is part of what I have beem working on for a while which will be a master kit for a conversion including everything needed to complete a conversion to a six..

Six conversion list;
Large bank account
Understanding wife
Long term storage
2nd 914 to drive
See the FedEx guy more than your kids

What am I missing?
peteyd

Best regards Phil

The tins work with every engine, except 3.6 and newer, so I've been told.

Pete
mb911
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jan 22 2018, 08:36 AM) *

Best regards Phil

The tins work with every engine, except 3.6 and newer, so I've been told.

Pete

Agreed but I think he is saying he has 3.0 911 tins right now..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.