Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what are these holes in the trunk for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
What are holes labelled "A" for?

What is the "B" hole for? It has threads, and there is a corresponding hole with brass grommet on the trunk carpet.

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
B allows you to screw in the spare tire mounting screw, for an alternative stowage location.

I never knew what the 2 A's were for, but they come with clearish-white plastic caps when the 914s were new. They may have been used to secure the rear trunk carpet at the grommets in same (??).

The larger holes (3) with the body sealed-in caps were for the spot-welder to access both sides of the sheet metal during assembly IIRC.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Jett
Thanks, I had no idea what B was for smile.gif
914 RZ-1
Thanks, Tom! beerchug.gif

Is the other hole "B" also supposed to be threaded also? Mine is not.

Anybody know what the "A" holes are for? I knew they came with covers, but want to know what their purpose is.

JmuRiz
Not threaded, but the threaded spare tie down goes right in it. Can even stow the top in the back with the tire stored there wink.gif
HansJan
“Anybody know what the "A" holes are for? “

popcorn[1].gif
Krieger
Never, ever, ever under any circumstances plug both your A-holes at the same time. You'll have a s-load of problems..
iankarr
Just occurred to me that the right side A hole could be used to fish a tube through and make filling the transaxle with oil a lot easier. I’m away from my car at the moment and can’t check to see if that’s even possible, but if it is, it would be great to make an A-hole useful:). Anyone ever try that?
bbrock
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 23 2018, 11:16 PM) *

Never, ever, ever under any circumstances plug both your A-holes at the same time. You'll have a s-load of problems..

Speaking as a biologist, I think this applies to the B-hole as well.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 23 2018, 10:16 PM) *

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
Mikey914
There should be 2 plasic "plugs" that cover the A holes, call them what you will, but I'll try to keep this out of the sandbox.
But seriously I had thought of reproducing these. My question is how many cars are actually missing them?
porbmw
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2018, 08:58 AM) *

There should be 2 plasic "plugs" that cover the A holes, call them what you will, but I'll try to keep this out of the sandbox.
But seriously I had thought of reproducing these. My question is how many cars are actually missing them?

A. Many...many...many!

And the ones that have them usually are pretty fatigued.
Might I suggest....request....and
Sign me up

Paul
SirAndy
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Jan 23 2018, 06:59 PM) *
Anybody know what the "A" holes are for? I knew they came with covers, but want to know what their purpose is.

My guess would be to allow the inside of the crossmember to be treated with a sealer.
popcorn[1].gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
So many Mark, that we had them made. AND we have no used ones around! Seems like every car that comes in here for restoration is missing them. We sell them individually or in a kit of three. No concours guy should be without them! We even had to install three in Brutus the 916 when Steve and William reassembled it!

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2018, 09:58 AM) *

Mikey914
Makes sense.

Or could have been part of an alignment jig for fitting during assembly???
I'm dead sure they serve a purpose. What that was we may never know for sure.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.