Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Checking a voltage regulator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BCinSC
Is there a way to check voltage regulator on the bench with multi-meter? Is there a particular Ohm reading or something that might suggest it's good or bad? Is there a better replacement choice than OEM?
wilchek
if it is in the car it should but out abour 13.9 volts at the battery. If you are guessing about it, change it with a soild state one. Much more consistent and stable. You should be able to get it at your local part store.
djm914-6
How would one go about looking for an aftermarket one. I never did trust those counter boys with selecting parts.
Mueller
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ Jun 1 2005, 08:25 AM)
How would one go about looking for an aftermarket one. I never did trust those counter boys with selecting parts.

well, you could call and ask what brand it is smile.gif

Pelican shows a Bosch (OEM?) unit for $40, i'd guess an aftermarket unit has got to be much cheaper, that would be a clue on it being aftermarket or not.....

no problems with my Kragens special aftermarket VR smile.gif

some of the FLAPS should be able to test them for free as well....

wilchek
The part is used in a lot of VW. Not that special, not that big of a deal the part I got does not cover the plug like the original but has a wire that has the plug on the end. I was weary at first but it has been rock solid and the volt gage runs at 12 even with the lights on and the heater motor running. My old jetta didn't even do that. BTW, the red light still comes on the dash at idle at night when I run all the assc. and get on the brakes.
djm914-6
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 1 2005, 03:20 PM)
well, you could call and ask what brand it is smile.gif

Pelican shows a Bosch (OEM?) unit for $40, i'd guess an aftermarket unit has got to be much cheaper, that would be a clue on it being aftermarket or not.....

Mike, have you been hanging around with the good Capt'n again? Sounds like a Krusty reply to me. biggrin.gif

That said, for $40 I'd order one from PP.
Rouser
Ask the counterperson for a Borg-Warner Electronic Voltage Regulator, Part # R588.

Works fine ... last long time ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.