Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 914 2L Alternator belt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintageracer
Hi folks. just purchased a fairly original 1976 914 2L, It through the alternator belt the other day and now I am replacing it. I read through all of the threads but on my car I cannot see nor, get to the fan pulley or alternator. There is some tin in the way. I am trying to remove this now from under the car, any suggestions from folks who have done this?

Thanks
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(vintageracer @ Jan 20 2018, 07:24 AM) *

Hi folks. just purchased a fairly original 1976 914 2L, It through the alternator belt the other day and now I am replacing it. I read through all of the threads but on my car I cannot see nor, get to the fan pulley or alternator. There is some tin in the way. I am trying to remove this now from under the car, any suggestions from folks who have done this?

Thanks

Buy one of the manuals! The alternator is a PITA to work with compared to many cars of the era, and indeed the tin poses a problem. Still repacking or adjusting the belt is not that bad. You need to remove the plastic covers as you have and then you need to figure out what is what. You do not need to start pulling off the tin. One real aid is an exploded diagram. You can get that for free from Porsche as what is called the PET. The Pelican site has useful links. As a right handed person, I find things a bit tight and it can help to remove the engine cover lid. You need a 10 mm wrench for that.
vintageracer
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 20 2018, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(vintageracer @ Jan 20 2018, 07:24 AM) *

Thanks

Buy one of the manuals! The alternator is a PITA to work with compared to many cars of the era, and indeed the tin poses a problem. Still repacking or adjusting the belt is not that bad. You need to remove the plastic covers as you have and then you need to figure out what is what. You do not need to start pulling off the tin. One real aid is an exploded diagram. You can get that for free from Porsche as what is called the PET. The Pelican site has useful links. As a right handed person, I find things a bit tight and it can help to remove the engine cover lid. You need a 10 mm wrench for that.

Thanks, I do have a manual on order. but trying to get this done today so I can go for a drive!. From the top I can get the belt on the fan but cannot move the alternator enough to get the belt on the alternator pulley. I have loosened the allen bolt in the access window but cannot see the 13mm pivot nut to loosen that from under the car, it appears to be behind the tin.

vintageracer
/Thanks, I do have a manual on order. but trying to get this done today so I can go for a drive!. From the top I can get the belt on the fan but cannot move the alternator enough to get the belt on the alternator pulley. I have loosened the allen bolt in the access window but cannot see the 13mm pivot nut to loosen that from under the car, it appears to be behind the tin.
Dave_Darling
The bolt is a coach-head bolt so you cannot turn the front of it. You need access to the nut on the other side of the bolt. To do that, you will have to remove the ducting that goes from the heat exchanger to the fan shroud. That's the silverish part in the upper-right of your under-car photo.

See if you can push or pull the alternator enough to get the belt started from the top side, though. It's a lot easier than removing heater stuff.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.